• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New 'dor and review...

BinDerSmokDat

I was at Holt's cigar shop on Saturday, right before ol' Mother naturedropped about 3 inches of snow on us. It was nice, as everyone must have been panicking, buying snow shovels and rock salt, as I had the whole place to myself. I needed a new overflow humidor as my other is filled.

Their least expensive line is called Parker. I think these are made by IDC though, as the construction, hygrometer and humidifying elements are all identical to those on another IDC I own. I looked at the display model and after seeing it was similar to the other I have (which holds humidity great) I picked up one in large. They rate it at 75-120 cigars, which must be for petite coronas, because I've never seen a humidor hold close to the number they rate them at. (Maybe it's because I'm partial stuff like VRDA's and Perdomo CP Epicures) It measures 13.5wx9.5hx6.25d. My guess is it would hold about 65-70 cigars with a good mix of sizes (petit coronas, robustos, double churchills, etc)

It is solid Spanish cedar (as I believe all IDC's are) with a cherry wood veneer outside. The finish is satin, and attractive but not eye-popping. Nobody is going to stop in their tracks to check it out, but it won't make anyone flinch in disgust when they see it. It has a lock and sextant hinges, but lacks a piano hinge, which are standard on larger ODC's and better humidors. It has no outside handles, which actually contributes to the simple lines of the box. It has a tray with single divider up top and a single divider in the bottom. It lacks the drawer that some humidors hace to store accessories, but that space is better utilized for cigar storage.

My other one has the drawer and I can only get two layers of robustos in the bottom. This one allows three layers, with room to spare. This isn't destined to become a family heirloom, but it is a good sized, serviceable box that is pleasing to the eye. It has nice balance and doesn't even think of tipping with the lid open and the tray out, even while empty. It was $59.95, plus Pa sales tax. It is available online at their site.

I also picked up boxes of the following and will post reviews on the WBSL board: ERDM Robusto Suprema Oscuro, Imperio Cubana Mini Perfectos Maduro and Cuesta Rey Anniv. Maduro Robusto #7.

Just a quick update. I moistened the elements with distilled water and some PG. I placed a small dish of water in the bottom and calibrated the hygrometer. As of this morning it was at 62% humidity. Once it hits around 68% I'll add the cigars, probably a day or so. Any problems and I'll keep you posted

Thanks for the review. I am going to be looking into a new humi in the next couple months.

Not that I intend to bring up an older thread, but I appreciate the review. I am thinking of going to visit Holts on Sunday for a new box :)