• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Dunhill

wallflower

I just got a new Dunhill off eBay and it's got a silver thing in the stem. It slides in and out and it's got a very distinct point on the end that goes into the bowl. I've not seen this on any of my other pipes. This is my first Dunhill. What is it?

Thanks!

Does it have little balls and undulating curves? with a groove down the middle? My friend had one of them, and it's supposedly a smoke cooler. Maybe that's what it is?

I'm a newb, so, I'm just guessing :p

That's called a "filter" for some reason, but what it really is is a tar and goop collector. Supposed to cool the smoke, all it really does is build up some nasty stuff that you may end up sucking into your mouth.

IMO, pull it out and toss it. :)

psyktek said:
That's called a "filter" for some reason, but what it really is is a tar and goop collector. Supposed to cool the smoke, all it really does is build up some nasty stuff that you may end up sucking into your mouth.

IMO, pull it out and toss it. :)
[snapback]190385[/snapback]​

Never used one, never will.

Just curious - how long've you been smoking a pipe? I see you've only got one post, but that doesn't mean you're a newb :)

When you guys were talking about pipe filters on another thread, I misunderstood. In the UK, what you've just described is called a filter. It's rubbish. Chuck it.

Woo said:
Just curious - how long've you been smoking a pipe? I see you've only got one post, but that doesn't mean you're a newb :)
[snapback]190554[/snapback]​

6 months or so.

Be carefull pulling that out of your pipe. Some are secured tightly and could crack or break the stem trying to remove it. Some will unscrew with a bit of gentle twisting, others need a bit of heat applied first. Try doing a bit of research before experimenting.

A little heat will soften any glue that may be there. Just a bit of lighter heat to the metal and a gentle twist. No, do not pull out the propane torch. :D

KayakinBoy said:
Woo said:
Just curious - how long've you been smoking a pipe?  I see you've only got one post, but that doesn't mean you're a newb :)
[snapback]190554[/snapback]​

6 months or so.
[snapback]201557[/snapback]​

Sorry - this post was directed at the original poster, who now appears to have dissapeared. :(