• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New guy buying cigars..some input wanted

TNT

Okay .. i am a cigarette smoker, and have smoked a cigar on and off for years. Of course, looking at how sophisticated it all seems now, I'm almost intimidated!

So Sunday I went to a local store .. LOTS of cigars in their humidor to choose from. Now I'll admit I probably don't have the most refined palette...but I took a look at the wrap/tobacco, aroma, etc .. and a few names I knew to try to make some selections. Tell me what you guys think ? I've smoked a couple so far.

1. Camacho (all that's on the label) about a 5/8" diam/6" long .. kinda strong taste, it's okay
2. Montecristo 42x6" .. tastes NICE and smooth .. really liked it
3. Romeo Y Julieta - reservo real
4. Hoyo De Monterrey
5. Padron (sorry, not sure which one, about a $4.00 cigar)
6. La Gloria Cuban (dark colored)
7. La Gloria Cuban (light colored)

Okay .. feel kinda stupid .. I hope I didn't do TOOO bad . I did get a decent Savoy tabletop humidor, and a cutter ...

I like the Hoyo.....

Montecristo...... is that a white label..... if so a really good smoke.

Just my 2¢

I find Hoyo Dark Sumatras to be a nice smoke. Which Hoyo did you get?

Those sound like all good choices to start out with. Watch, read and learn here and you will come up with some great smokes to try. :D

Go with the Padron. They are very consistent and are a great cigar. I also like the Montecristo but I have had a few bad ones due to tight draw.

Be careful being out here, it is dangerous. Soon you will be saying I need a bigger humi and buying a coolador and trading with other members out here and complaining how you have no more room for your cigar storage and need to upgrade.

But thats OK we are all addicts out here and welcome you !

I think you have a good start but without knowing which cigars you bought it is hard to say what you actually have. I like the Hoyo Excaliber, Padron maduros in the X000 series and the LGC maduros. Size also has an effect on flavor so again knowing what you bought would help in pointing you toward the bette smokes in a particular line.

Make notes on the ones you smoke and hang onto the bands of the ones you like. Then, when you go back to the shop, take the bands and ask the owner to help you pick out other smokes that are similar. That's a good way to get started.

Just have fun with the experience of gaining knowledge and learning about this great hobby! You'll be a CigarBid addict in no time! :D

The Padrons or the La Gloria Cubanas...both are great and you really can't go wrong. Camachos are good, but can be a little overwhelming at first.

WOW .. lots of great info guys..thanx! The Hoyo is a Hoya De Monterrey Double Corona ... the Montecristo was a "classic" and was in a yellow metal tube. I really liked it .. will probably look at more of the Montecristo's .

the Padron was a pretty decent smoke. The knowledge I see around here is almost scary !! .. I hope to learn more about names / brands / etc .. I have saved the bands of the ones I like.

Funny you mentioned space, I DO have an addictive nature (duh!) and already thinking that if I build another HOUSE I'll build in a humidor closet !! Okay that's sad and a little scary !!! :0 :0

The shopkeeper should be able to help you in decision making. Tell hime your favorite coffee, candy, liquor, whatever tell them if you want it strong or mild, would you prefer a thick cloudy smoke or a lighter bodied one that dissipates more quickly? Keep trying new things and keep asking questions.

Most of all...keep trying new cigars. The only way to know if you like something is to smoke it. When you know what strengths/flavors/intensities etc. that you like...then you can start to narrow things down. But then your palatte grows and you like different things... :whistling: What a headache that is...then you have to go out and try newer things and smoke more cigars...a neverending habit!!! Gotta love it :thumbs:

Have fun here. It's very informative and a lot of fun. Pay your respects and search before asking age old questions.

Welcome to CP from the West Coast!

-Fetter

I would go for the newbie sampler here. Try a whole bunch, see what you like, keep the labels,(see if you like natural or maduro), and keep asking questions. :thumbs: Enjoy!

You're in trouble now!

If I try a cigar I don't like, but it got a decent review, I'll try it again to make sure I don't like it. It could have just been a dud. So buy 2.

I always write down as much info as I have in a little book, then when I smoke the cigar I glue the band next to the description. This way you have a quick reference to your favorites.
My suggestions
Montecristo white label
Macanudo gold leaf- mild, but pretty good
Fuente- Any of the ones with the green band underneath the regular band. The ones with the black band seem to have a stronger flavor to me. The Double Chateau is a good one
La Aroma de Cuba- this is another mild one, but the robusto is pretty good.
Padron 3000 series- pretty good flavor
CAO MX2- Try this one, it's a maduro and it has great flavor.