• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Guy Expanding Palate

engspot

Covered in Paint
I've been enjoying meeting a few of you and reading the different opinions of various cigars. It still amazes me you can pick out the flavors within the smoke and appreciate the subtleties within each stick. I like to read the various reviews and try to pick out the flavors as I try some of the different smokes while relaxing after a long day of work. This has definitely inspired me to branch out and try new brands and flavors.

My first real cigar was in college on a road trip to Windsor Canada. The nice thing about Canada is the drinking age is 19 so we were able to imbibe a few years early and try cigars we couldn't get in the US. I wish I remember what I smoked then, but I vividly remember my first Cohiba, RYJ, and Montecristo. They were so good that I've just gone back to those brands (Cohiba in particular) when I wanted a cigar. It's been all Dominican...

Recently I decided that I should try some new smokes and look for recommendations. I was only utililzing 2% of the B&Ms' humidors and felt like I was missing out.

I type this out while smoking my first Oliva Serie O maduro and enjoying a bottle of Great Lakes Octoberfest at the end of a crisp Ohio afternoon. Since I've joined up here I've smoked my first Padron 3000 maduro and had a Serie V. I owe a lot of that to the guys around here who speak highly of the Padron and Oliva smokes. I don't think I would have tried them on my own and I was missing out. These Nicaraguan tobaccos are great and I'm glad I came to my senses to try new things. Thanks all!

I have a newbie sampler trade in the works and I'm looking forward to trying even more. My old favorites will always have a place in the humidor, but they better be ready to make space.

Thanks again everyone, I'm really glad to be here.

It is good to hear that you are exploring and enjoying new cigars. In regards to picking out flavors, I think practice makes perfect (oh no, not practice smoking more cigars :0 ), but I also recall some members recommending the use of flavor wheels in the beginning. I believe it helps structure the identification of various flavors so you don't get overwhelmed when trying to find words to describe what you are tasting. Good luck with your journey and only 98% more of that humidor to go through.

Good for you, bud. Figuring out what your favorite cigars are is sometimes half the fun. Hope you stick around because there are an awful lot of cigars out there to try.

Don't sweat picking out flavors. Some people can, some can't, and some refuse to :whistling:.

As long as they taste like tobacco, you're doing it right. There are enough differences just in the tobacco flavors among the different types and brands of cigars to keep things interesting without the granola smoothie and hot cocoa stuff.

Hmmm, they all taste like tobacco and I am very thankful for that! My first decision on a cigar is usually whether it's good or bad. I can't always figure out what made a cigar good or bad so I started trying to pinpoint what I liked about the good ones.

For instance, I like the grassy and toasty flavors in the Cohiba. It at least gives me a reference point for trying new things, but it makes me appreciate why I like it more.

The Padron 3000 maduro I picked up after hearing great things about the X000 lines. It was the most enjoyable smoke I've recently tried. The tastes coming from the smoke seemed to evolve as I burned through it. It was the kind of cigar that made me look forward to the next one and I'll make sure to pick up a few next time I'm at the shop.

94% of the humidor left to go!

First off greetings fellow Ohioan! I live in Wadsworth so we are basically neighbors!

Don't sweat picking out flavors. Some people can, some can't, and some refuse to :whistling:.

As long as they taste like tobacco, you're doing it right. There are enough differences just in the tobacco flavors among the different types and brands of cigars to keep things interesting without the granola smoothie and hot cocoa stuff.

+1000 to this. Apparently, I am one who cannot taste flavors. I have pretty much given up on it. I now enjoy going to local stores and getting recommendations from the tobacconist. It does not always work out but occasionally I find a winner. I also look at reviews and on here and get lots of great advice on here...so you are in the right place. Now my goal is to just try a lot of different cigars and visit different shops to see what they all have to offer. So instead of picking out chocolate and coffee flavors, I just enjoy the thrill of the hunt. Good luck!

I wish I knew how many different cigars I've tried. Some have had unmistakably wonderful flavors and aromas, others are dog doo. Never quit trying new ones and always keep a few of your favorites around to rely on. Everyone will tell you pretty much the same thing.......Everyone's tastes are different. ENJOY Brother! (But, if you find an exceptional one....let us hear about it) :D

I am one of those that can not pick out the individual flavors, but ever now and then one will slap you in the face. I know if I liked it, if it kicked my butt, or if I did not like it. I can appreciate how it burns, what volume of smoke it produces, the draw, the construction, etc. For sure there is nothing like relaxing at the end of the day with a great cigar. Man, I am ready to go home now.

Johnny

I'm another that is not very good at picking out flavors, but it doesn't bother me in the least. Every now and then I'll be smoking one, and I'll pick up a flavor that I hadn't noticed before. When I do, that's fine, but if I don't, no big deal.

I know if I like the cigar or if I don't. That's really all that matters to me. I smoke the cigar for the enjoyment of the cigar.

For those that can and enjoy picking out the nuances and flavors, that's great, but for me that's just not what's important.

you should give the Onyx Reserve in Mini Belicoso size a try. It's about a $4 cigar. This was the 1st cigar to make me go WOW and got me hooked on cigars.

As you can tell i really like Onyx Reserves

rr7frr.jpg

I'll grab an Onyx Reserve next time I'm in the humidor. I've seen them in there and just haven't heard anything about them one way or the other.

I did the newbie sampler trade and was really blown away with what was included in there. One thing I have learned is that I have relatively expensive taste :0 I'd highly recommend everyone doing it once.

I can now add Ashton VSG, LFD, Arturo WOAM, and Camacho to the list of things I like. The local B&M had a Camacho event and I smoked a "black licorice submarine" of a cigar - the Triple Maduro.

There's still alot I want to try out, but it's becoming a scavenger hunt at times. Maybe half of the adventure is in finding the smoke and appreciating it before it is even lit.

That's definitely a really fun part of it for me. I really love everything about cigars and the scavenger hunt is great. I also love finally seeing something I've been looking for after a long wait. It's oddly fulfilling.

I' m a newb when it comes to Cigars, but the hunt is one of the things I like most about this hobby. I have progressed from samplers to 5 packs now, as I have learned that it takes more than one or two smokes to figure out if I really like them. I have a price point per cigar that I hold myself to , and I try to find the best tasting cigars I can get for the $. Just about every order is something new to me, and I'm having a blast! Happy hunting!