• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New humidor and dividers

mtschust

Well, I ran out of space in my current desktop so I picked up a larger humidor off of cbid last week and it arrived today. I like it but it has some parts I don't know about. It comes with two pieces of wood that look like they could be used as dividers. They have a curve to them in the middle. I guess I could use them as dividers, if that is what they are for, but I am not sure what kind of adhesive is safe to use in a humidor. Another note, the tray does not have dividers in it as shown in the picture. Is this a a problem I should try to address also? This particular model has a lift out tray, and holds 120 larger cigars. It is the Big Ben Humidor. Would you guys even bother with the dividers or should i just throw everything in there haphazardly like I do now?

Here is a link to the humidor by the way

http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=403174

I'm thinking the dividers are either for the bottom or top tray. And you should not be using any type of adhesive inside. I would just throw your cigars in and start smoking.

Make sure you season the humidor, get some beads and a digital hygrometer too. :)

Would you sugges I wipe the wood with distilled water, or just let some water sit in a cup?

There's mixed recommendations on this. Some prefer not to soak the inside and some just let a small dish of distilled water sit for a few days. I'm sure either will do but it would be good to have a digital hygrometer in there during both processes to monitor the RH. From my understanding you want it to reach high 60's or low 70's in seasoning and then you should be able to add your cigars and humidifying device in. Then monitor the RH for a day or two and make sure its at a consistent 65% RH (give or take a few %).

I have some beads in my small humidor that I can't get to stay at 65 for more then a couple of days. Is is harming my cigars to be dropping down to about 59% and then going back up time and time again?

Not at all. As long as your around 60%, you'll be fine. I'm not sure what your weather conditions are, but when its colder the air is drier so you'll just have to add distilled water more often in the winter. You can check for leaks but its probably just the drier air. Don't worry so much about it. If your at 60% or so.. you're good. Just store them and smoke em. :)

Thats what I suspected, jjust didn't want to chance losing my hard earned money. I am in Oregon by the way, and it is actually colder than normal at the time, although my RH has been unstable for a month or so.