• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Humidor/Humidifier Problem

pmj_28

I'm a new member here and a new cigar smoker...about a month only. I just introduced myself in the new member forum.

I bought a 70 count Diamond Crown humidor, a Diamond Crown humidifier rated at 100 cigar count and a Diamond Crown digital hygrometer. After following the directions on seasoning the humidor and when the RH reached 64%, I added two boxes of cigars....a total of 40 plus a few different singles. This was 5 days ago. Well, the day after I added the cigars, the RH increased to 65%, but then the next day it was at 64% and has stayed at 64% since. The RH in my home has been about 55%. I'm not sure yet what RH I prefer since I'm new at this, but from what I have read, it should be around 70%.

My question is since the DC humidifier is rated for a 100 count humidor and and mine is a 70 count humidor, why is the RH not gradually increasing? The vents in the humidifier are wide open and I make sure it is topped up with distilled water at all times. This is a polymer humidifier so a 50/50 solution is not needed.

Thanks for your input.

use the search function...

Look up viper's beads for humidification.

Look up "salt test" to check your hygrometer's accuracy..

Most people prefer 63-68% humidification.

Welcome and enjoy your stay.

Shane

use the search function...

Look up viper's beads for humidification.

Look up "salt test" to check your hygrometer's accuracy..

Most people prefer 63-68% humidification.

Welcome and enjoy your stay.

Shane

Very well said Shane!!!

RH Beads - www.GetThePuck.com

Salt Testing is easy but since you're getting the RH Beads, pick up a calibration kit to make it simple :thumbs:

Hope this helps

~Mark

Read all of the suggestions listed, but note that I also have a Diamond Crown that looses humidity. I have Vipers beads and they are great. I suggest adding some weather stripping around the lid.

T.O.

He doesn't need to buy anything else. The DC humidifier is a great product, maybe not as good as the beads, but for his 70 count it's fine.

PMJ, 64% humidity is fine. Don't sweat it. Most people on this board use around 65% humidity. The only thing you need to do is calibrate your hygrometer, if it's also a Diamond Crown, it's very high quality, but you want to make sure it's reading 64% humidity as 64% humidity. My DC hygrometer is off by 1.5% points it seems. Boveda makes a hygrometer calibration kit that can be had for under $5 and your local B&M should have them in stock.