• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New humidor issues

abepaniagua

Hey guys...

So i bought a new humidor. It holds around 100 cigars according to the description. I seasoned it, with a guide almost the same as the one here in the forums but maybe I screwed things up by making it too humid. I gotta start saying I live in the Dominican Republic which is a REALLY humid country. We get 70%-88% of humidity sometimes. Ok, so, without the Humidifier device, the humidity was in 69%!! then it dropped to 65%. I put the humidifier device, and it stablized to 70-72%. I put in like 15 cigars to see how would it react, and it stayed in 71%. Now from NO WHERE it peaked to 74% and 75%...i mean, thats just crazy, what should i do?? My weather isn't helping at all...

I personally and from experience think you should be fine, anywhere from 65% to 70% is not going to hurt the cigars. Some times people prefer 65% than 70% visa versa, its all personally preference. But from the looks of it, you are still trying to find your preference, so I think you should be fine for now. But remember the more cigars you put in the humidor, the more the RH will fluctuate until it settles. What kind of humidifying product are you using, beads, Gel?

I personally and from experience think you should be fine, anywhere from 65% to 70% is not going to hurt the cigars. Some times people prefer 65% than 70% visa versa, its all personally preference. But from the looks of it, you are still trying to find your preference, so I think you should be fine for now. But remember the more cigars you put in the humidor, the more the RH will fluctuate until it settles. What kind of humidifying product are you using, beads, Gel?

It is not so much about preference...hehe im trying to stabilize it on 70% or less but I just can't. I'm using this one : Humidifier

I have around 30 cigars inside, and i thought humidity was suppose to drop. The problem is controlling it...

Have you calibrated your hygrometer? If not, you need to do this before we can help you. If you have, you might need a device that's good at removing excess humidity. I would recommend Viper's beads. They not only add moisture to the environment, when needed, they also have the ability to remove it.

Doc.

Have you calibrated your hygrometer? If not, you need to do this before we can help you. If you have, you might need a device that's good at removing excess humidity. I would recommend Viper's beads. They not only add moisture to the environment, when needed, they also have the ability to remove it.

Doc.

Hey doc, thanks. I calibrated both hygrometers :)...about the beads...i got some Water Pillow beads i believe...are they better than the humidifiers then? Hmmm, i'll try one of those

I just ordered a similar size humidor, so I'll take note on the setup issues. Though, it's not nearly as humid here so maybe it won't be an issue. Sounds like you don't even need a humidor there :0

Hey bro, I like your recycled electrons ( you might piss off the Sun), but heck, it's 93,000,000 miles away.

You could try and throw some dry beads in until it brings humidity to your desired level. I used heartfelt beads to dehydrate a hand me down humidor so I could reseason it. I am no pro but maybe since your humidity is really high where you live you can use beads just do not charge them to keep humidity down?