• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New humidor question...

MichaelD,
My new sticks have been doing just that since mid November. My older ones are rehydrating with a 72 Boveda.

I was rereading some things on Boveda's website and realized I should have put two packs in the humidor to season and not just one. This makes sense now as to why the first packet may have crispened up so quickly. Also, according to Boveda, the packs only have a two year shelf life while still in the plastic. a combination of just one packet and an older packet could be the source of my issues. Live and learn and move on!

MichaelD,
My new sticks have been doing just that since mid November. My older ones are rehydrating with a 72 Boveda.

I was rereading some things on Boveda's website and realized I should have put two packs in the humidor to season and not just one. This makes sense now as to why the first packet may have crispened up so quickly. Also, according to Boveda, the packs only have a two year shelf life while still in the plastic. a combination of just one packet and an older packet could be the source of my issues. Live and learn and move on!

I have packets that are older than two years that keep on working fine. As long has your humidor is holding the right RH, I wouldn't ditch them just because they hit a certain date. They are mostly just salt and water.

The day is here! Since 11/15 I've been seasoning the humidor. It got "stuck" at 60% and on 11/29 I added a bowl of distilled water and since then it's hovered between 67% and 70%. I think I'm ready to pull the water bowl out, add some Boveda packs and my sticks. Am I missing anything?

Nope. You should be good. Just keep in mind that in the drier winter months humidors tend to dip a little. It's nothing to worry about.

You have the patience of a saint I gotta hand it to you. Sounds like the humidity has leveled out so that's good.

So I just humidified my cheap one, my first humidor and it took time, and less is more.

Kept it with just a bowl of DW for 3 days, opened it, was at 70, let sit for a few more days with water until it hit 78. Took the water out, and after 2 days it sank below 70, so I continued with 3 more days of DW in the bowl.

Took out the bowl for 3 more days, NEVER checking the hygrometer, and on day 3 it was at 70, so I popped my cigars in there, knowing it would drop a bit. I made sure my cigars, in the meantime, had been in a tupperware with a 75 overs so they wouldn't soak up too much when I added them.

Its been a week, and with a jar of gel, it has maintained at 70%, which might be a bit high, but Im fine with that.

Alright, first, happy holidays, everyone! Thank to everyone so for all the great advice...much appreciated. My small collection has finally made its way into proper storage and into the humidor that I waited so patiently for as it seasoned itself.

The RH was hovering around 68% to 70% using a bowl of distilled water and leaving it alone for two weeks. Now that I pulled the water out, added one each Boveda 69 and Boveda 72, and my sticks, the RH has dropped but is holding consistent at 61% to 62%. I'm not too worried about this - I don't think. Should I be?

The temp in the humi is hovering between 70 and 73...we live in a vintage condo with steam heat and cannot adjust the temps. In the winter it's fairly dry in our place even with the requisite bowl of water near the radiator.

In the meantime, I added these to the collection tonight. Any opinions? Cannot wait to give them a try!

All the best,
CAS
20161221_232443.jpg

Last edited:
62% is not a bad place to be really. And as you said it does get dryer in the winter so the humidor will get affected. Just don't open it unnecessarily and you should be ok.

Same, winters are brutal on my humidor. I'll leave the distilled water dish in mine when it's get bad.