• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Humidor

Setren

Well, I got my new humidor from CheapHumidors today. It's a Ravello imperfect. It's a bit beat up, but after tinkering with it a bit, I think I can live with it.

The obvious imperfections are the dent on the edge of the top and banged up corners in the back.

The other imperfections are cracks on both sides of the fronts of both of the bottom accessories drawers and a missing knob on the right drawer.

I found the knob eventually inside the right drawer and was able to get it back into place with a bit of craftiness on my part. So now the front of the humidors looks perfectly fine.

I think I'll probably end up wood gluing the large cracks closed on the fronts of the accessory drawers. Other than that, I suppose this is an imperfect. I did get the humidor for cheaper. It seems to be in good functional order. The lid has a light whoosh when I drop it down, and the cedar within looks good.

This humidor was a bit more beat up than I had expected, but I did buy a imperfect and it is within the limits set forth by CheapHumidors. This will work fine, though, and I did manage to get this humidor at just barely under $100, shipped. Overall, this wasn't a bad purchase. :)

Next step is for me to season it. I'm going to use the bottom of a Listerine bottle I cut up so that more water is touching the air at one time than would be with a shot glass. I'm also going to try to convert my humidifiers that came with the humidor from foam to beads. I'll post more with that later.

I'd like to thank Dave from Southside for helping me with choosing a humidor, even though I didn't purchase from him. And I'd like to thank everybody else who gave me advice. :) I ended up going for a larger rather than small one, hah!

My first Ravello from them was new but I just ordered a second one (imperfect) thats coming soon. I hope it's not that beat up but I guess it doesn't matter as long as it seals fine.

Yeah, I think in the future I'll just pay the extra 20 dollars. This will be fine, though, especially because I'll be moving around a lot soon, and this humidor's bound to get a bit beat up anyways.

Yea, for 20bucks off I would expect less damage. I do think it's a great little humi. I've had mine for 2 years with no complaints. Once I fill up my second one I will move on to larger options and gift one of them to an up and coming fanatic.

No way!? My imperfect I couldn't find a THING wrong with it?!
Chris
Yeah, that's what I've read about many people's imperfects. Guess I'm the 1 in 100 that gets one that's actually beat up. :'(

What sticks do you have to fill that bad boy?
I've got some nice smokes that I got from a newbie sample trade and some other ones. Let's see, two Opus X, an Anejo, and some other ones. :D
I got 20 Cu-Avano's that I decided to get to be space fillers until I can fill up the space with more better quality cigars.

So I'm going to be out of town for four days soon. Will it be all right if I leave the Listerine bottle bottom with distilled water inside of the humidor to season? Or should I take it out and continue the seasoning process once I get back so I can monitor it?

I would just leave a shot glass in for the 4 days and you should be fine.

Leave it in. It's not likely that it will become oversaturated. When I got my latest humi I put a bowl of distilled water in it, and didn't open it up for 5 days. The longer you leave the water in it, and the fewer the amount of times you open it, the better off it will be.

Sorry to here its more dinged up than you expected.

I have 2 imperfects I ordered from them. The first one was a 300 count dome top, the imperfection was a "bruised" corner (honestly I may have done that myself carrying the box inside) The second humidor is a 500 count standing humidor and the imperfection was a couple of scratches on one side that buffed right out with a soft cloth.

I think pretty soon you won't care about the dings and corners, your only going to care about the contents. :D It is a good idea doing something about the cracks in the drawers though, They look like they could turn into a major eyesore if your not careful.

Honestly, don't use Gorilla Glue. Fine Woodworking did definitive tests a year or so ago and the urethane glue were inferior to almost any other type. Titebond 3 is excellent, has small gap filling properties and is actually waterproof after it cures while still cleaning up with water while wet.

Oh yes, use clamps to hold those cracks in the drawer fronts closed while the glue sets.

Gorilla Glue!

edited with an afterthought added.

Sorry to here its more dinged up than you expected.

I have 2 imperfects I ordered from them. The first one was a 300 count dome top, the imperfection was a "bruised" corner (honestly I may have done that myself carrying the box inside) The second humidor is a 500 count standing humidor and the imperfection was a couple of scratches on one side that buffed right out with a soft cloth.

I think pretty soon you won't care about the dings and corners, your only going to care about the contents. :D It is a good idea doing something about the cracks in the drawers though, They look like they could turn into a major eyesore if your not careful.
Already starting not to care. :) Hey, I got what I ordered, and the humidor's seal seems to be good, so I'm fine. Hah!

Honestly, don't use Gorilla Glue. Fine Woodworking did definitive tests a year or so ago and the urethane glue were inferior to almost any other type. Titebond 3 is excellent, has small gap filling properties and is actually waterproof after it cures while still cleaning up with water while wet.

Oh yes, use clamps to hold those cracks in the drawer fronts closed while the glue sets.

Gorilla Glue!

edited with an afterthought added.
I'm using PL Polyurethane Wood Glue, so I guess I fail in the glue department (thanks Lowe's man! x.x). I just did one drawer, and because I didn't want to have to buy clamps or borrow my theatre's clamps, I just used a rope to bind the drawer. I might actually call up somebody I know who's obsessed with wood restoration and get him to help me out on the rest.

Edit: Grammar...

Hmm, I was considering getting a ~300 count imperfect, but I might just put up the extra few bucks for a clean one after seeing that drawer. I guess it's rare to have a major issue, but with the reduced cost comes the risk...

My imperfect Ravello is on its way. I will let everyone know what condition that came in.

Hmm, I was considering getting a ~300 count imperfect, but I might just put up the extra few bucks for a clean one after seeing that drawer. I guess it's rare to have a major issue, but with the reduced cost comes the risk...

I've ordered two imperfects from them, and have not yet found the imperfection on either of them.