• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Iowa Concealed Carry Law

duglynukem

Nuclear Advocate
Liberty on the rise. I cannot remember the last expansion of personal liberty. Maybe its a sign :thumbs:

"The right of individuals to acquire, keep, possess, transport, carry, and use arms to defend life and liberty and for all other legitimate purposes is fundamental and inviolable. Licensing, registration, special taxation, or any other measure that suppresses or discourages the free exercise of this right is forbidden."

Phooey. In my home state of VT, considered a Liberal state, any law abiding citizen can carry concealed without any kind of permit what-so-ever. It's been that way since 1796.:0 They also have the lowest violent crime rate, per-capita, in the country. I wonder why?;)

Doc.

I'm in one of two states of the USA that has an outlaw on concealed carry. BOOOOO. Hopefully we can get it changed before long.

Damn Chicago!

Phooey. In my home state of VT, considered a Liberal state, any law abiding citizen can carry concealed without any kind of permit what-so-ever. It's been that way since 1796.:0 They also have the lowest violent crime rate, per-capita, in the country. I wonder why?;)

Doc.

I couldn't agree more... DT

I'm in one of two states of the USA that has an outlaw on concealed carry. BOOOOO. Hopefully we can get it changed before long.

Damn Chicago!

New Jersey used to be like that, the old fee for the very few issued was $50 or so. Now our Gov said any law abiding citizen can obtain a carry permit for $500 per year LMFAO

Now Iowa is one of the 38 "shall Issue" states.

“This bill strikes an appropriate balance” between citizens’ rights to bear arms and the need for law enforcement officers to maintain public safety.

County sheriffs will lose much of their discretion in denying concealed weapons permits.

The bill, which takes effect Jan. 1, would create uniform standards in all 99 counties for issuing permits to carry a concealed weapon in public. It will require sheriffs to issue a permit to carry firearms to all applicants unless they are subject to certain specific disqualifiers.

Under current law, sheriffs can issue or deny permits. Their standards vary with some issuing permits to nearly everyone who applies and some denying nearly all applications. Nearly 35,000 Iowans have concealed carry permits, according to lawmakers.

Chris Rager, an Iowa lobbyist for the National Rifle Association, said today’s action signifies the first time in nearly a century that a major step has been taken to enhance the right-to-carry freedoms of Iowans. He said the NRA-backed legislation will allow law-abiding Iowans the right to carry without being subject to the subjective discretion of individual sheriffs, changing Iowa from a “may-issue” state to a one of 38 “shall-issue” states.

Its about time Iowa join the ranks of the other states. That is a big win for the residents that call Iowa home. :thumbs:

Glad I live in TX! Only cost me $240 for 5 years of carrying. :thumbs:

If you are a Veteran, you get 1/2 off the Texas Permit.

That's still WAY too much. Plus, no legal open carry in Texas. :sign:

This is the exact reason I have my Nebraska Permit still. It was $200 total for the class and Permit which covers 5 years. After that, its $75 to $100 for renewal. I said the States would turn it into a money making process and you can see the results. And guess what, it will get worse when the States really start hurting for cash flow. :(

That's still WAY too much. Plus, no legal open carry in Texas. :sign:

This is the exact reason I have my Nebraska Permit still. It was $200 total for the class and Permit which covers 5 years. After that, its $75 to $100 for renewal. I said the States would turn it into a money making process and you can see the results. And guess what, it will get worse when the States really start hurting for cash flow. :(

In Iowa now its $50 for 5 years then $25 for the next 5 years. The fee is reasonable I think.

For comparison: Washington State (another shall issue state) is $55.25 for first five years and $32 for five year renewals there after. Additionally, open carry is legal and does not require a permit.

For comparison: Washington State (another shall issue state) is $55.25 for first five years and $32 for five year renewals there after. Additionally, open carry is legal and does not require a permit.

Mine is from Washington from when I lived up there. If I remember correctly the Washington permit is valid in some 20 odd states or something as well.

California which is a shall issue state does not issue. GO figure.

Mine is from Washington from when I lived up there. If I remember correctly the Washington permit is valid in some 20 odd states or something as well.

Well, California is able to issue; I'm going up for my third two year renewal, which will cost me $100 or so in county fees, as well as the mandatory recertification class. I'm in Solano County, which has relatively easy requirements. I don't think I could get a CCW in San Diego, L.A., or San Francisco; their standards are such that you basically have to have been assaulted and are at risk for further assaults; police records required as documentation.

Gentlemen, if there's a fee, it's not a right, it's a privilege. If there's a license or a permit involved, it's not a right, it's a privilege. As far as I know, Vermont, an extremely liberal state, is the only state where it's a right. I find it satisfying that Texas charges money.:sign:

Doc.

And if your active duty you get 100% off.
And if you can get your PLT SGT who is certified to give the course all you pay for is prints and pictures :D

Glad to have Iowa on board. Hopefully we can all begin moving towards a licence-less system. I think alot of laws we have had to combat (especially in the South) stemmed directly from restrictions place during Reconstruction.

Well, California is able to issue; I'm going up for my third two year renewal, which will cost me $100 or so in county fees, as well as the mandatory recertification class. I'm in Solano County, which has relatively easy requirements. I don't think I could get a CCW in San Diego, L.A., or San Francisco; their standards are such that you basically have to have been assaulted and are at risk for further assaults; police records required as documentation.

It is funny how all you need to do is drive over 37 and the right to carry somehow disappears. I wouldn't even bother applying in my county, and I have family in LE.

Gentlemen, if there's a fee, it's not a right, it's a privilege. If there's a license or a permit involved, it's not a right, it's a privilege. As far as I know, Vermont, an extremely liberal state, is the only state where it's a right. I find it satisfying that Texas charges money.:sign:

Doc.

An exorbitant fee is a privilege. Its 25 bucks in PA, in my county for a paper CC license. 28.50 if you want photo ID. I'm just saying that the clerical work shouldn't be free. 200 bucks? I think that's too much.

Will

In Indiana, an Unlimited License, which is what you need to carry for the purpose of protection of life and property, cost $30 for a 4 year license, $75 for a lifetime unlimited license, and $60 for a lifetime unlimited license if you already have a 4 year license.

Yes-In Indiana you pay a one time fee and yo have a lifetime license :thumbs: :thumbs:

Also, Our permit is not CC. You can CC or Open carry :thumbs:

Back