• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Iowa Concealed Carry Law

Gentlemen, if there's a fee, it's not a right, it's a privilege. If there's a license or a permit involved, it's not a right, it's a privilege. As far as I know, Vermont, an extremely liberal state, is the only state where it's a right. I find it satisfying that Texas charges money.:sign:

Doc.

I couldn't agree with you more. A right is something you do not need a signed and paid for piece of additional paper to exercise. Where is there a fee and paper work for practicing any of the other rights laid out in our Constitution/Bill of Rights? Can you imagine the outcry if people had to pay $100 for the right to speak their opinion for the next five years?

On the other hand, I give the crown their $$ and pay the tax to carry in my state. ???

People and effort is spent to do background checks, as necessitated by legislation, which we the people have set forth.

An interesting statistic I ran across. I have absolutely no clue to the accuracy....

US Gun Statistics
Various Sources
2-2-5

(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.
(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

(Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept. of Health Human Services)

Guns
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.
Yes, that is 80 million.

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.000188.

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
Remember, "Guns don't kill people, doctors do."

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand! (Not you Doc)

Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld the statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention.

I'm all for this law in Iowa, but I can tell you it wouldn't fly in the same fashion in the metropolitan NY area. Random normal people and minor thug types would be getting shot left and right. The jails would slowly empty, hospitals and morgue would fill up. On the news all I'd hear about day and night is random shootings. Man shot elder care nurse. Ex wife shot cheating husband. Younger brother shot older brother. Mass shooting on L.I.E. between road ragers.
I imagine it would get to the point where if you didn't have your gun you'd be in trouble.

I'm all for this law in Iowa, but I can tell you it wouldn't fly in the same fashion in the metropolitan NY area. Random normal people and minor thug types would be getting shot left and right. The jails would slowly empty, hospitals and morgue would fill up. On the news all I'd hear about day and night is random shootings. Man shot elder care nurse. Ex wife shot cheating husband. Younger brother shot older brother. Mass shooting on L.I.E. between road ragers.
I imagine it would get to the point where if you didn't have your gun you'd be in trouble.

Why exactly would that be the case in NYC but not in other large metropolitan areas where concealed carry is legal? The people that opposed concealed carry legislation made that argument in almost every state. So far, that has not shown to be the case anywhere. Most (if not all) states have shown a drop in violent crime. I can't imagine why NYC would be any different.

Why exactly would that be the case in NYC but not in other large metropolitan areas where concealed carry is legal? The people that opposed concealed carry legislation made that argument in almost every state. So far, that has not shown to be the case anywhere. Most (if not all) states have shown a drop in violent crime. I can't imagine why NYC would be any different.

x2.

You assume law abiding New Yorkers have no values. If that is the case I doubt they would wait for guns and would be using baseball bats, knives, cars, etc. right now. Ya those things happen in NY but not by law abiding
citizens. Actually by definition, law abiding citizens have values. If not they would not follow laws and act as reasonable citizen members of a community.

Attack spatulas.

If I snap and go on a rampage, it is what I'm grabbing!

serrated-spatula.jpg

x2.

You assume law abiding New Yorkers have no values. If that is the case I doubt they would wait for guns and would be using baseball bats, knives, cars, etc. right now. Ya those things happen in NY but not by law abiding
citizens. Actually by definition, law abiding citizens have values. If not they would not follow laws and act as reasonable citizen members of a community.

i was half joking when I wrote that. But i do imagine that's the way it might be, with the insane senationalist press around here and the dramatic nature of the people here. It's WW3 if a snowstorm is on the way, you'd think the world was ending.
The only thing that makes me say the previous quote is that I've lived here my whole life. I don't know how different it would be from other places. I do know that the general lack of intelligence around here measured against the lack of self control worries me. But who knows. I reallllly feel whether or not violent crime went up or down a lot more bullets would fly than did before.

As for drops in violent crime, unless specific statistics are stated it's a bad discussion. Statistics themselves are incredibly easy to skew. Say 1000 violent crimes a month happen now, and 500 after carrying is allowed. It doesn't say how many of those are shootings, how many are deaths, and how violent crimes are defined specifically.. It's just a messy idea to start bringing that into it.
It doesn't matter anyway, I don't see it ever happening here. I can't imagine carrying allowed after 9/11 and the way security is handled in the city now. Plus you have a police force that I am sure would not want to deal with citizens with guns everywhere. Perhaps it would keep things in check in the long run, but in short run I can imagine many cops on edge a lot of the time. I just don't see it ever happening.

Does anyone know crime rates for England and London compared to here? They have no guns whatsoever, I'm curious as to whether that works or fails in comparison to the US.

x2.

i was half joking when I wrote that. But i do imagine that's the way it might be, with the insane senationalist press around here and the dramatic nature of the people here. It's WW3 if a snowstorm is on the way, you'd think the world was ending.
The only thing that makes me say the previous quote is that I've lived here my whole life. I don't know how different it would be from other places. I do know that the general lack of intelligence around here measured against the lack of self control worries me. But who knows. I reallllly feel whether or not violent crime went up or down a lot more bullets would fly than did before.

As for drops in violent crime, unless specific statistics are stated it's a bad discussion. Statistics themselves are incredibly easy to skew. Say 1000 violent crimes a month happen now, and 500 after carrying is allowed. It doesn't say how many of those are shootings, how many are deaths, and how violent crimes are defined specifically.. It's just a messy idea to start bringing that into it.
It doesn't matter anyway, I don't see it ever happening here. I can't imagine carrying allowed after 9/11 and the way security is handled in the city now. Plus you have a police force that I am sure would not want to deal with citizens with guns everywhere. Perhaps it would keep things in check in the long run, but in short run I can imagine many cops on edge a lot of the time. I just don't see it ever happening.

Does anyone know crime rates for England and London compared to here? They have no guns whatsoever, I'm curious as to whether that works or fails in comparison to the US.

I found this statistic but I don't know how valid it is

Stats

Interesting when you think of the murder rate in a city like Juarez, Mexico. Then look at where Mexico is in relation to some of the other countries that you hear very little about. For example the Great Britan

Gentlemen, if there's a fee, it's not a right, it's a privilege. If there's a license or a permit involved, it's not a right, it's a privilege. As far as I know, Vermont, an extremely liberal state, is the only state where it's a right. I find it satisfying that Texas charges money.:sign:

Doc.

I mostly agree with your statement however let me point out this. Yes there is a fee but in states that require a fee I would be interested to do a study and find out what other states reciprocate. Iowa before the open carry law passed and before Iowa opened reciprocity to everyone was only recognized by 13 other states, it is now 18. VT at the moment with no requirements to have this right is only recognized in 5 other states. I'll gladly pay my $50 for a 5 year permit that allows me carry options in almost half the US. Would I like there to be a no questions ask no license requirement? Sure but i can be happy with what I have for now.

An interesting statistic I ran across. I have absolutely no clue to the accuracy....

US Gun Statistics
Various Sources
2-2-5

Guns
Yes, that is 80 million.

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand! (Not you Doc)

Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld the statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention.

I hope the above comparison is a joke in absolutely every sense of the word. Even if the comparison is a joke, I hope you are not attempting to make a point through it.

A weak analogy is a weak analogy.

-Mark

Here in NC, the naysayers all said there would be blood in the streets when they passed the CCW law years ago. Didn't happen of course. Now that we have had a change of the legislature here, there will be a chance to upgrade the law to allow more latitude to the carriers and a chance to pass a Castle Doctrine law to protect law abiding citizens against civil suits as well.

Vermont has had it right all along.

US Gun Statistics
Various Sources
2-2-5

Guns
Yes, that is 80 million.

I hope the above comparison is a joke in absolutely every sense of the word. Even if the comparison is a joke, I hope you are not attempting to make a point through it.

-Mark

Nope just a bit of humor I found. On another note there is a lot of controversy about our new gun law and the Arizona shooting.

US Gun Statistics
Various Sources
2-2-5

Guns
Yes, that is 80 million.

-Mark

Nope just a bit of humor I found. On another note there is a lot of controversy about our new gun law and the Arizona shooting.

Fair enough- just not my cup o' tea.

-Mark

I believe in our right to bear arms. It is the individual that makes the decision as to application of that right, not legislation.

Arizona, no license required. Concealed or open carry, whatever you prefer. Sweet deal.

Alaska, Arizona, and Vermont all allow concealed carry with no permit.

Arizona costs $60 per 5 years. Alaska costs $99 per 5 years. Unless I am mistaking but I don't think this is the case.

I hate the permit but I can at least carry concealed in 26 states. Its the main reason I need to get my Texas CCW so I can carry in the South.

Arizona costs $60 per 5 years. Alaska costs $99 per 5 years. Unless I am mistaking but I don't think this is the case.

I hate the permit but I can at least carry concealed in 26 states. Its the main reason I need to get my Texas CCW so I can carry in the South.

Alaska and Arizona do not require conceal carry permits to conceal a firearm. You can get a permit in Alaska if you wish, but it's only purpose is reciprocity with other states.

As of last year you are no longer required to obtain a permit for concealed carry in Arizona. I do not know if they still provide permits for reciprocity reasons.

Alaska and Arizona do not require conceal carry permits to conceal a firearm. You can get a permit in Alaska if you wish, but it's only purpose is reciprocity with other states.

As of last year you are no longer required to obtain a permit for concealed carry in Arizona. I do not know if they still provide permits for reciprocity reasons.

Ahhh...thanks for the clarification. I figured it was for the Reciprocity states. Still a money making scam but I'd rather have the permit due to my disabilities. I'm not the one that will be running. :laugh: