• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Maple Ashtray Just Completed

I have always admired someone that can look at a hunk of wood and think..."I can make this into something cool." Good work on these. I am impressed.

Well folks, I have been talking with Rod about selling these here. He says it is OK with him.

The only problem I see is the notion that we are not to make money off of each other with stuff we sell here. I know there has been some profiteering by some in the past and I want to steer clear of that trap. However, I make my living with my hands. These could be a nice little sideline for me, a profit-making venture, hopefully! But, I need to make a living with the product of my hands. :blush:

To make my shop rate these would have to start about $70 + shipping and for really extraordinary (expensive) material they could easily go significantly over $100. This seems like a good bit of money to me. :0 However, when I see mass-produced ceramic and glass ashtrays selling in this price range and more, it doesn't seem outrageous for a hand-sculpted, one of a kind piece. (At least to my mind.)

I am preparing to make a group of these which then I would offer for sale to whomever is interested, so you would know exactly which one you are buying. I have secured some more "interesting" material that should make some really striking pieces.

So, I am seeking the feeling of the group. Is this appropriate for me to do on CP?

If so should I do it in the BST forum or in the Retailer Forum?

If not, I will go and setup on Ebay. :( I'd rather just offer these here but if necessary I will go there.

I am really enjoying this place and everyone here, and I don't want to f**k it up by doing something that will bring ill-repute or hard feelings. I would rather forgo the small amount of income involved and forget about it rather than screw up relationships here.

Thanks for your input, everyone!

A copy of this is also posted on the other ashtray postings I have here.

Dave, these look great. Is there any chance we could get some detail pics from the beginning to the end?

Beautiful work.

I'm still new enough here that I don't feel comfortable addressing the issues concerning the dynamic of the group, possible hurt feelings, resentment towards "profiteering", etc., but on an individual level, I'd be very surprised if you had any customers who would be upset with you over any aspect of the transaction. They'd be coming to you voluntarily and with the full knowledge that these are unique and hand-crafted items with the potential for considerable variation from one to the next.

Perhaps rather than taking orders--TGM wants a five finger in a mahogany, KeithS wants one featuring knots, Moe wants a light wood with a deep bowl, etc.--which could really complicate things, it might be easiest to just have a handful (~10?) available at a time, varying in style (size, wood, design, whatever) and cost. That way a customers won't end up having their ashtray go over budget, they'll know exactly what they're getting at the time of purchase, they can choose to wait for one that really speaks to them to pop up, etc.

I'd buy one eventually.

I am too new to have any thing to say about you selling them here but wherever you end up selling them make sure you make a LOT first. Cause I know I want to buy one and so far I think about 50 others do too so (GET TO WORK!!!) jk. Just saying when you do sell them your gonna get a lot of orders.

How long does it take you to make one it looks like it takes a bit, when you do sell them would you possibly take custom orders? If so I would make one.

Also here is an idea, I would like first the wood just normal curly maple circle or even square to minimize waste with a light stain to bring out the wood texture and under the varnish inside the bowl of the ashtray to place a Cigar pass logo I would love that. Although I have liked everything you have posted so I would probably buy anything I could get my hands on. Thank you

Well folks, I have been talking with Rod about selling these here. He says it is OK with him.

The only problem I see is the notion that we are not to make money off each other with stuff we sell here.

I make my living with my hands and these could be a nice little sideline for me, a profit-making venture, hopefully! You see, I need to make a living with the product of my hands. :blush:

To make my shop rate these would have to start about $70 + shipping and for really extraordinary (expensive) material they could easily go over $100.

Dave,

Rather than go the e-Bay route....and now that you have Rod's blessing....why not start off here at CP and blossom from that point. I'm confident that the members here could keep you busy throughout the Summer months making these wonderful collectors items.....that you, for some reason, call an ash tray!...lol.

Everyone is entitled to make a living and benefit from one's abilities & talents.....this venture is no different. Plus I'm sure you would be more than fair in what you would charge a BOTL here. I would imagine the rules at CP are meant for the profiteering of cigars and related items that are bought at one price and sold at another (margin)....what you are providing is a custom made, one of a kind keepsake.

So find a place within the site to set up shop and start taking orders.....but be careful, it's going to be an avalanche!

Good Luck.

you sir are a craftsman. I could never make one of those. Anyone who thinks you should give them away for next to nothing or not profit is not being fair, and im my opinoin a little selfish.

I don't think you will be able to take orders. Each one of these will be totally unique. Some people will like one and some won't. I liked the second one way better than the first. The nature of the wood in the first one was to rustic for my tastes it was still awesome though. If you post pics of one that spoke to me I'd have to buy it. They are cool.

you sir are a craftsman. I could never make one of those. Anyone who thinks you should give them away for next to nothing or not profit is not being fair, and im my opinoin a little selfish.

I don't think you will be able to take orders. Each one of these will be totally unique. Some people will like one and some won't. I liked the second one way better than the first. The nature of the wood in the first one was to rustic for my tastes it was still awesome though. If you post pics of one that spoke to me I'd have to buy it. They are cool.

x2 ;)

Very nice Dave! I'd actually seen this ashtray at the Boswell Cigar Dinner on Wednesday. The pictures don't do it justice. :thumbs:

Beautiful work Dave, I really like the look of this one. If you can find it, I think making one with spalted maple would be awesome & really unique with the grain. Well done!

I agree with most everyone else, if Rod's given you the OK I see no problem with you selling these on CP in the retailer's forum, for materials + shop time. No different than Viper selling his beads or John selling his custom rolled cigars - you make some money doing your trade and everyone at CP benefits by having a custom made product available to them at a good price. And, it looks like you've got enough interest to keep you busy this summer and beyond. :thumbs: