• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Metallica

slcraiders

I obtained a pre-release copy of the new Metallica CD last night (Don't tell Lars). Let me say that this album completely exceeded my expectations. I fell out of love with this band (like many others) when they released the "Black Album". I understand that they could not go on playing the same stuff and had to grow/diversify but it was just not for me. This album beats the shit out of St. Anger and really marks a return to the grittier Metal up your Ass style. Rick Rubin told them what to do and what not to do- and the boys must have listened. There are a couple of short lived sappy moments on the album and I would not put it up there with the first 4 releases (original Garage Days... included) but it is great overall. The most comparitive release I would use is Justice for All. It has that feel to me. Anyhoo, def. worth a listen.

I too managed a copy. I agree 100% with your And.....Justice for all comparison. Actually a decent album because St. Anger was garbage.

Jim

Lookin foward to this one. Will be the first CD Ive bought in about 5 years. The last two were St. Anger and Ozzy Down to Earth.

Though the Black Album is the Metallica I was brought up on, listening to it everyday in high school while lifting got me hooked on them. I started with the Black Album and went backwards through the albums.

Ahh the good ol days of lifting to Metallica and Pantera. Thats the only thing I miss about high school besides playing ball.

The most comparitive release I would use is Justice for All. It has that feel to me. Anyhoo, def. worth a listen.
That's awesome news as that's my favorite album! I've heard a little of the new song on the radio (I keep missing the start), but what I've heard sounds pretty tight, back to the old epic instrumentals and solos. :thumbs:

St. Anger wasn't an album, it was trash - terrible writing, awful mixing and horrendous production. Nowhere to go but up from there.

F.........LARS!!!

Not to take anything away from the talents of these guys. They are an awesome band.

After the Napster drama I just became fed up with Lars and his BS.
In 82 a friend of mine handed me a tape he had made from a metallica album and told me that these guys are new and are going to shake up the world.
I listened. I liked. I went out directly and purchased that album, and I also purchased every album there after, along with T-shirts, posters, and concert tickets.

But what my friend did giving me that tape was technically illegal.

I buy the same amount of music I always have and I will continue to buy the same amount of music even though I can get some for free.

Except Metallica of course. I just will not be a customer of theirs anymore.

I can't wait to get my hands on it, I had lost all hope when the black album came out needless to say the albums that followed were also a dissapointment IMHO . Now that Rick is producer and not Rock, I'm sure it will be a heavier release. Rick Rubin is one of the best producers in the biz .

Really Lars, he bummed me out on Metallica. I appreciate the music, it just if there is a taint over the music I can't help but associate it. I blame my short attention span.

I was able to catch about 4 songs on SIRIUS the other day....I guess they were playing songs off of it throughout the day.

I still thought the drums were very reminiscent of St. Anger, but the guitar and vocals definitely better this time. My first impressions on the songs I heard were.....it's fine but doesn't get my blood pumping like the old stuff.

I'm sure I'll buy it, just because it would be against my metal religion not to, but I haven't heard a song on it yet that wow'd me. Now let me get back to some "Am I Evil" on my iPod :)

Some metal bands seem to loose their edge after a certain amount of albums (like In Flames for example), while others really take off and shine when they get more experienced (like TooL... which is not really metal, but works as an example).

Since an experienced Metal-Head can tell when the passion has gone in a genre built on emotive stylization, one has to wonder why bands even bother turning out drab tripe just to put something out there. It only serves to kill your fanbase in my opinion. That being said, I wonder if Metallica have gotten back on track with this one.

Lookin foward to this one. Will be the first CD Ive bought in about 5 years. The last two were St. Anger and Ozzy Down to Earth.

Though the Black Album is the Metallica I was brought up on, listening to it everyday in high school while lifting got me hooked on them. I started with the Black Album and went backwards through the albums.

Ahh the good ol days of lifting to Metallica and Pantera. Thats the only thing I miss about high school besides playing ball.
x2. I thought everything after Black was garbage.

I'm with Beyond the Band on this one. Enjoy, guys, 'cause I'm not buying. Or even downloading, for that matter.

B.B.S.

Wow, I'm listening to it now after Downl... I mean purchasing it through a valid vendor. It kicks ass to me, and I grew up on And Justice for All....

It's not as good but it's a great change for them.

Metallica has not been any good since Sammy Hagar joined the band.

:sign:

I will always love Justice......simple, raw drum and gutair rock, for me it was like a sore peter, can't beat it.

I will give the new cd a listen, and let the music be the judge.

Tim

I agree with alot of what's been said here, including the comparison to Justice. I disagree with the drum sound comparison to St. Anger, mainly because the snare drum once again sounds like a snare.

What has always struck me about Metallica is this amazing energy that their cover tunes have...an energy they never seemed to capture when recording original material. I think this is because in the past, a good chunk of writing happened in the recording studio during the process. Rubin insisted that all songs be written, rehearsed, and down pat PRIOR to going into the studio. To me, this seems to have resulted in capturing some of that energy that all the cover tunes had.

I think this album is punchy, riffy, energetic, and has solid lyrics. It is the best thing by far they've done in a long while.

I'll admit it. While sitting at my computer listening to it for the first time, an office chair mosh broke out.

It is no "Ride the Lightning" or "Justice" album, I am gonna pass on this one. They are still in my top 10, and as as far as seeing anyone live, Metallica is hard to top, their shows were the best concerts I have ever seen.
Rob

I agree with alot of what's been said here, including the comparison to Justice. I disagree with the drum sound comparison to St. Anger, mainly because the snare drum once again sounds like a snare.

I don't think I was clear on my drum comment. Here's a review from St. Anger that states what I was getting at:

It's probable that no band has worked harder, longer, to craft an album with the intention to make it sound as rough as possible. Bob Rock's production, aided by Pro Tools, has the guitars sounding considerably muddier than any other Metallica album, and Ulrich's hollow snare drum sounding like he's pounding relentlessly on a hubcap for an hour and a quarter.

I thought it sounded the same in the few songs I heard on the radio the other day. But perhaps it isn't the same throughout the album.

I agree with you Wyatt. When I was listening to it online last night, I thought the drum was overpowering the rest of the music. I kept finding myself hearing the drums, and not really catching the lyrics.