• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New music & Fav. new bands / artists

Its hard to keep up with all the new music coming out, it is one of the things i hate the most about being deployed, that and I keep missing football season.

New stuff I am into:
Blue October
Hell Yeah!
(both out of dallas)

also
the new Chevelle

trying to get the the new White Stripes, and will be looking for the the Down and Tool when they drop. Also looking to get the Matt Skiba side project Heaven

Tim

Ain't been playin' nuthin' new lately. In fact, this has been in constant rotation of late...it simply don't get no better, no better, than ol' Tom:

Well, with buck-shot eyes and a purple heart
I rolled down the national stroll
And with a big fat paycheck strapped to my hip-sack
And a shore leave wristwatch underneath my sleeve
In a Hong Kong drizzle on Cuban heels
I rowed down the gutter to the Blood Bank

And I'd left all my papers on the Ticonderoga
And I was in bad need of a shave
I slopped at the corner on cold chow mein
And shot billiards with a midget until the rain stopped
And I bought a long sleeved shirt with horses on the front
And some gum and a lighter and a knife
And a new deck of cards with girls on the back
And I sat down and wrote a letter to my wife

And I said, baby, I'm so far away from home
And I miss my baby so
I can't make it by myself
I love you so

And I was pacing myself, trying to make it all last
Squeezing all the life out of a lousy two-day pass
And I had a cold one at the Dragon with some Filipino floor show
And I talked baseball with a lieutenant over a Singapore Sling
And I wondered how the same moon outside over this Chinatown fair
Could look down on Illinois and find you there
I know I love you, baby

And I'm so far away from home
I'm so far away from home
Yeah, I miss my baby so
I can't make it by myself
I love you so

I agree MC. My personal fav:

'That Feel'

But there's one thing you can't lose
And it's that feel
You can pawn your watch and chain
But not that feel
It always comes and finds you
It will always hear you cry
I cross my wooden leg
And I swear on my glass eye
It will never leave you high and dry
Never leave you loose
It's harder to get rid of than tattoos

The Tossers They came out with a new CD, "Agony" in March which I pre-ordered and it came with a poster signed by all the band members. I also have all of their other CDs as well. The last one I bought was from eBay and it's on it's way here from England of all places since the Tossers are from Chicago and I don't know if they've ever toured in Europe. This CD, "Communication and Conviction" is out of print and very hard to find. Their new label, Victory Records is supposed to be re-releasing it but who knows when that will be.

I've also been listening to the Street Dogs a great deal lately. They only have three CDs out and I have all of them. The lead singer Mike McColgan was the original lead signer for the Dropkick Murphys.

I have been almost exclusively listening to these two groups for the past few months and lo and behold, they announced they were touring TOGETHER and I caught their show in Boston on July 5th and in Hartford, CT on July 6th. The Hartford show was great because the club was small and there was hardly anyone there. I stood right in front of the stage the whole night and Tobe Bean (Street Dogs guitar player) was so close to me, he kept bumping me with his guitar! :laugh:

This was by far the best show I've ever seen in my life, mostly because of being literally right on top of the stage and getting to talk to all the band members from both bands before and after the show.

This past Saturday, The Fools had a CD release party for their new CD, "10" at the Salisbury Beach Club in Massachusetts and I was there! Included in the price of admission was a copy of the new CD which I stuck in the CD player for the ride home. What was cool was the band rearranged their normal set list and played ALL ten of the new songs. I've been following these guys since the early 1980's and the three original members will all turn 60 years old this year. :0 They're still rockin' just like they did back in the 1970s! :thumbs:

The Tossers They came out with a new CD, "Agony" in March which I pre-ordered and it came with a poster signed by all the band members. I also have all of their other CDs as well. The last one I bought was from eBay and it's on it's way here from England of all places since the Tossers are from Chicago and I don't know if they've ever toured in Europe. This CD, "Communication and Conviction" is out of print and very hard to find. Their new label, Victory Records is supposed to be re-releasing it but who knows when that will be.

I've also been listening to the Street Dogs a great deal lately. They only have three CDs out and I have all of them. The lead singer Mike McColgan was the original lead signer for the Dropkick Murphys.

I have been almost exclusively listening to these two groups for the past few months and lo and behold, they announced they were touring TOGETHER and I caught their show in Boston on July 5th and in Hartford, CT on July 6th. The Hartford show was great because the club was small and there was hardly anyone there. I stood right in front of the stage the whole night and Tobe Bean (Street Dogs guitar player) was so close to me, he kept bumping me with his guitar! :laugh:

This was by far the best show I've ever seen in my life, mostly because of being literally right on top of the stage and getting to talk to all the band members from both bands before and after the show.

This past Saturday, The Fools had a CD release party for their new CD, "10" at the Salisbury Beach Club in Massachusetts and I was there! Included in the price of admission was a copy of the new CD which I stuck in the CD player for the ride home. What was cool was the band rearranged their normal set list and played ALL ten of the new songs. I've been following these guys since the early 1980's and the three original members will all turn 60 years old this year. :0 They're still rockin' just like they did back in the 1970s! :thumbs:

Bill - great to see you enjoying these bands...all are really, truly great guys and down to earth. You still need to check out The Ducky Boys and Mark Lind and you also gotta check out The Prodigals. Next to The Pogues, The Prodigals are one damn fine class act. Do yourself a favor and give some time to diggin' into their arsenal of releases. And please, please, please check out the godfathers of all this...Cock Sparrer. Once you do, you'll realize what true greatness is all about. :D

Oh, and give the west coast some props and check out Swingin' Utters back from my old home-town of San Francisco.

And as for Victory Records...I have an old contact there from way back when Victory used to be nothing but a pure straight-edge label. I'll give them a shout and see if they know anything.

The Pogues, man, now you're talking my language. Shane MacGowan is one of my favorite song writers; and what an absolute drunken Irish character. True inspiration. Not to mention the 4 teeth he has; 2 in his mouth and 2 in his pocket for splitting wood.

Along those same lines I can't help but mention Nick Cave. I let a Peace Corps friend borrow a Nick Cave mix (cassette) back in the day and he told me "too many organs, can't dig it." Year later he wrote to me, "You were right, Nick Cave is absolutely phenominal. There's years of good listening here."

If you haven't ever heard a track called "Death Is Not The End," I highly recommend it. It features Shane MacGowan, PJ Harvey and Kylie Minogue. Some real classic shit.

Bill - great to see you enjoying these bands...all are really, truly great guys and down to earth. You still need to check out The Ducky Boys and Mark Lind and you also gotta check out The Prodigals. Next to The Pogues, The Prodigals are one damn fine class act. Do yourself a favor and give some time to diggin' into their arsenal of releases. And please, please, please check out the godfathers of all this...Cock Sparrer. Once you do, you'll realize what true greatness is all about. :D

Oh, and give the west coast some props and check out Swingin' Utters back from my old home-town of San Francisco.

And as for Victory Records...I have an old contact there from way back when Victory used to be nothing but a pure straight-edge label. I'll give them a shout and see if they know anything.

:D

If I remember correctly, it was YOU who I first learned about The Tossers from so I thank you very much for that one! :thumbs:

Oh and if you can find out anything from Victory Records, that would be very much appreciated!

Yes tsmckenney, I really have to start getting into the Pogues as well. They played a St. Patrick's Day show in New York City (The Tossers warmed up) that I would have loved to have gone to but I already had tickets for the Dropkick Murphys at a very exclusive show on March 17 where they only sold 240 tickets. :0 Now THAT was an experience, no warm up band and they did a completely different (mostly classics) set list from their usual list. I've seen the DKMs 15 times in the past two years and that show was probably the best. :thumbs: They're releasing a new CD, "The Meanest of Times" in September so that will be in heavy rotation in my car's CD player come September. :p

Haha, the last CD I picked up was Incubus Light Grenades. Other than that, I haven't the slightest clue what music has come out in the last 4 months. One of the bad things about being gone...you're totally disconnected from the world other than looking at the news occasionally or something. :p It's all good. I enjoy playing catch-up when I get back. It gives me something to do for a couple months. :D

The Pogues, man, now you're talking my language. Shane MacGowan is one of my favorite song writers; and what an absolute drunken Irish character. True inspiration. Not to mention the 4 teeth he has; 2 in his mouth and 2 in his pocket for splitting wood.

Along those same lines I can't help but mention Nick Cave. I let a Peace Corps friend borrow a Nick Cave mix (cassette) back in the day and he told me "too many organs, can't dig it." Year later he wrote to me, "You were right, Nick Cave is absolutely phenominal. There's years of good listening here."

If you haven't ever heard a track called "Death Is Not The End," I highly recommend it. It features Shane MacGowan, PJ Harvey and Kylie Minogue. Some real classic shit.

Nick Cave is a favorite of mine as well. Mentioned him on here before, and all of his incarnations, esp. as The Birthday Party. I prefer Nick of yesteryear rather than the one today. He's become way too polished. Give me the raw energy of The Birthday Party or, say, Nick Cave of Kicking Against the Pricks or The Mercy Seat era any day.

Tangentally related to Sr. Nick Cave, I dig the hell out of Kid Congo Powers. From The Cramps to The Gun Club...damn...that's some tasty stuff right there. Even Kid's solo stuff...and Jeffery Lee Pierce's solo stuff (RIP) was fantastic. Then, let's not forget Blixa Bargeld and Einsturzende Neubauten. Very good stuff there too. And, Barry Adamson Mick Harvey, etc.....damn too much fine stuff has sprung from the The Bad Seeds. Gotta love it.

But, from that cd you mention, my favorite has always been "The Kindness of Strangers." Such a chilling, chilling story told there. And, of course, "Stagger Lee."

(bought) The new (all of them) Velvet Revolver, Son Volt, and Ryan Adams. I almost bought Jason Isbell's new one (member of Drive by Truckers) but thought it was a bit too slow...

Probably my fav. new band is Fiction Plane, really good (Stings son fronts the group).

I am going to see Velvet Revolver and Alice In Chains October 2!! I am so excited I can hardly wait

Melly

:D

If I remember correctly, it was YOU who I first learned about The Tossers from so I thank you very much for that one! :thumbs:

Oh and if you can find out anything from Victory Records, that would be very much appreciated!

Yes tsmckenney, I really have to start getting into the Pogues as well. They played a St. Patrick's Day show in New York City (The Tossers warmed up) that I would have loved to have gone to but I already had tickets for the Dropkick Murphys at a very exclusive show on March 17 where they only sold 240 tickets. :0 Now THAT was an experience, no warm up band and they did a completely different (mostly classics) set list from their usual list. I've seen the DKMs 15 times in the past two years and that show was probably the best. :thumbs: They're releasing a new CD, "The Meanest of Times" in September so that will be in heavy rotation in my car's CD player come September. :p

The Pogues are still touring, and they are still fantastic mind you, but I miss them with Shane. Got the privilege of seeing them quite a few times in the Shane days...and instances when he was too drunk to even come on stage, they still came out and played a hell of a good show. But, Shane and The Popes are still equally as captivating. Just not the same as the ol' days.

Can't recall if I mentioned it before, but the Paddy Rock website is a damn fine thing and a great source of this music we love. :thumbs:

Oh...and also check out The Mahones. They are an outstanding group of guys. You can download some of their MP3's for free. Very Pogues-ish.
Here: Mahones Free MP3s

No problem Bill...already sent the e-mail so I'll let you know when I hear something. ;)

Nick Cave is a favorite of mine as well. Mentioned him on here before, and all of his incarnations, esp. as The Birthday Party. I prefer Nick of yesteryear rather than the one today. He's become way too polished. Give me the raw energy of The Birthday Party or, say, Nick Cave of Kicking Against the Pricks or The Mercy Seat era any day.

Tangentally related to Sr. Nick Cave, I dig the hell out of Kid Congo Powers. From The Cramps to The Gun Club...damn...that's some tasty stuff right there. Even Kid's solo stuff...and Jeffery Lee Pierce's solo stuff (RIP) was fantastic. Then, let's not forget Blixa Bargeld and Einsturzende Neubauten. Very good stuff there too. And, Barry Adamson Mick Harvey, etc.....damn too much fine stuff has sprung from the The Bad Seeds. Gotta love it.

But, from that cd you mention, my favorite has always been "The Kindness of Strangers." Such a chilling, chilling story told there. And, of course, "Stagger Lee."

Yes, of course, "Stagger Lee."

I'm not much for chick rock, but PJ Harvey's "Bring You My Love", is another favorite. And I don't know what it is about that woman, but she drives me nutso.

Also: I never saw the Pogues live, but did see them on a SNL rerun. That was a classic, Shane was at his drunken best. The rest of the band was not amused.

Thanks to Putz, I'm listening to Buena Vista Social Club, Ruben Gonzalez, and Chucko Valdes. It's not the roots music I was looking for but the rhythms are easy to understand and transcribe. Should help my woeful conga playing.

Doc.

First of all..I would like to say it doesn't get any better than Murder Ballads

and for the Tom Waits fans..for me at least it is all about Bone Machine.

Recently I have been listening to alot of Buzzcocks and The Dammned..and older Might mighty bosstones.

On my vacation it was a steady diet of Walyon, Hank, and Willie.

Recently I have been listening to alot of Buzzcocks and The Dammned..and older Might mighty bosstones.

I'm ecstatic over this thread. I never would have thought another person here would have love for Nick Cave. And yeah, Bone Machine is a great album.

Joe Sirois, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones former drummer is now the drummer for the Street Dogs. :thumbs:

The Bostones have been on "haitus" since 2003.