• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New smoker tastes

Kosmo

I've been smoking for a few months now and seem to have a bit of a problem when I'm smoking: I have a hard time tasting any difference between cigars. It isn't that I can't taste the subtleties yet, but rather that almost every cigar I smoke has the same kind of earthy taste to it. Did anybody else have this problem when they first started? Am I doing something wrong, and does anybody know how to fix it?

You may be smoking cigars that are beyond the scope of your pallete. If you are smoking full-flavored, complex cigars, many of the subtle flavors will be beyond what you are able to pick out.

I always suggest that new smokers start with good mild cigars to allow them to practice their ability to discern between the flavors that are presented. Get a good sampling of mild to medium cigars from different regions, brands, rollers, etc. and take your time smoking through them. Don't be in a hurry to get up to the strong, full-flavored sticks. When you smoke to try to examine the flavors, make sure that you're relaxed and in a relatively quiet setting. It's very hard to concentrate on a cigar's flavors in a social setting IMO.

Most importantly, don't stress out about trying to detect every last flavor. Cigars are meant to be enjoyed, and not to stress about whether you're tasting cocoa or leather. You will find things that help you pull the flavors out, but don't be in too big a hurry. You should spend some time reading on here, and you might try to follow along with someone else's review as you smoke the cigar (I find that it helps sometimes).

D

Just take your time and smoke slowly, breath in through you mouth after exhaling the smoke. It will come to you over time, just enjoy the cigar the flavors will come later.

Thanks guys. I just had a Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 and could actually taste a good bit more than usual. I just took my time with it and really tried to focus on what I was tasting.

Psst, Kosmo, don't tell anyone I told you, but there are a lot of screwballs here, who have turned a perfectly good vice into a hobby. Many suffer from delusions and hallucinations. It's contagious. You've been warned.

Doc.

I always pause after blowing out a good bit of smoke just to taste what's left in my mouth, rolling my tounge around and such. I always pick up on a few extra flavors that route.

Also, I've just lately discovered how much a good cigar will bring out the taste of whatever you're drinking. Brown liquors and especially coffee. Tremendous difference.

Hope this helps and doesn't sound too orally transfixed!

Psst, Kosmo, don't tell anyone I told you, but there are a lot of screwballs here, who have turned a perfectly good vice into a hobby. Many suffer from delusions and hallucinations. It's contagious. You've been warned.

Doc.

I can't say that I'm entirely sure of what you're trying to tell me, but thanks for the heads up. :thumbs:

Also make sure you are getting good quality cigars, a lot of the cheaper stuff does all taste the same (like earth and sometimes crap). I see that you smoked a RP vintage... thats a great start.