• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New To Cigars... Looking for Guidance

Gator Cigar

I am very new to Cigars and decided the best way to learn would be to read through some forums.

I recently visited a Cigar Store and asked how I could get started in this hobby. The advice he gave me was to start slow and first buy a humidor. I was wondering what would be a good humidor to get started with and how everyone else started out in the Cigar World. I have smoked a couple Cigars that I liked such as 601s and Padrons and would love to hear what everyone else enjoyed when they just started. Im not looking to spend enormous amounts of money at the beginning but would like to hear non the less. Thanks in advance for your advice.

I don't think it is essential to purchase a humi first.
You just don't have that many in the beginning.
Hang around here for a while and that will definately change I assure you.
You can use a humi bag or a Tupperware container with water pillows to get you by.

Also you should head over to the introduction thread and tell us a little about yourself and fill out your profile.

Welcome in!

Beyond the band beat me to it.

Welcome to CP anyways

My advice would be to go to the Intro forum and tell us a little about yourself and then avail yourself of the search function. Every question you can imagine about cigars, humidors, booze and coffee has been discussed here. Enjoy your stay, read the rules and above all have good time.

Doc.

In addition to reading up on the wealth of information that can be found on this forum, go to your local cigar shop and buy singles to try out different cigars. This will help you decide what you like for yourself. If you want a quicker start, you could always purchase a humidor set or a cigar sampler from an online retailer as well. Either way, I wish you the best of luck! Stick around here... you'll be helped along the way ;)

I didn't have a humidor for years. I'd typically buy a couple singles or maybe 5 at a time. Then I'd smoke one or two on a weekend and leave the rest on a shelf in the bathroom, which typically stayed a little more humid than the rest of the house. Very crude, I know, but the point is it's not essential. And then another step would be a makeshift tupperware humidor, rather than a store-bought variety. I was fortunate enough that my wife and kiddies bought me a nice cherry humidor after a few years of pitying me, I suppose.
Good luck.

I am very new to Cigars and decided the best way to learn would be to read through some forums.

I recently visited a Cigar Store and asked how I could get started in this hobby. The advice he gave me was to start slow and first buy a humidor. I was wondering what would be a good humidor to get started with and how everyone else started out in the Cigar World. I have smoked a couple Cigars that I liked such as 601s and Padrons and would love to hear what everyone else enjoyed when they just started. Im not looking to spend enormous amounts of money at the beginning but would like to hear non the less. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Try the Newbie Sampler Trade in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

I agree with all here. One bit of advice - If your cigar store allows you to sit and enjoy the smoke, do so- you'll learn alot by hanging around. Keep some notes-take off the cigar band, and jot down your likes and dislikes about the stick. If all goes as planned, shop around for a humidor later.

Welcome to CP, just like many above stated above the search function is your friend. Sounds like you are on the right path with a nice humidor from your kids. Stick around here and you'll learn so much so quick, you'll be buying another humidor before you know it.