• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New to cigars, my first purchase any good?

DonkeyKong

-CAO Italia (Robusto)
-VSOP Nicaraguan Connecticut (toro)
-Oliva Connecticut resserve (robusto)
-Pinar Del Rio 1878 Cubano Especiale
-Montecristo Flor Fina
- Gurkha Grand Reserve
-Cusano LXI
-Don Lino 1989
- Thompson elite (junk)

Looking to pick up some cubans later this year, this was a splurge since im turning 20 this friday.

Only you can judge if you did good or not. There is cigar smokers that enjoy Moontrances and Eileen's Dream. You will learn what you enjoy and its a big wide world to explore. You may want to try to pick up some lower end Padron cigars like the X000 series. You have the cheaper line of Arturo Fuente to explore. Oliva can be a pretty tasty smoke. Welcome to the cigar world and enjoy the ride.

You may want to try this: http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=29521

The Newbie Sampler Trade. Its one way to get a hell of a jump into the cigar world. :thumbs:

Only you can judge if you did good or not. There is cigar smokers that enjoy Moontrances and Eileen's Dream. You will learn what you enjoy and its a big wide world to explore. You may want to try to pick up some lower end Padron cigars like the X000 series. You have the cheaper line of Arturo Fuente to explore. Oliva can be a pretty tasty smoke. Welcome to the cigar world and enjoy the ride.

You may want to try this: http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=29521

The Newbie Sampler Trade. Its one way to get a hell of a jump into the cigar world. :thumbs:

Thank you, will buy when I get more money, starting to feel like I REALLY over spent on these cigars.

I've smoked most of those on your list, and that is a great sampler to start out with (couple of those are 90 pointers I believe). Cigars are like wine, they get better with age and there are awesome tasting cigars in all price ranges!

Yes, smoke what you like and if you want to know about a cigar try the search engine, one of these aficionados has probubly already reveiwed it.

There are some really great guys on here that speak their mind, don't get a offended if you break the rules, by accident of course and they set you straight.

Have Fun !!

Welcome to CP!

And I'll echo what others have stated, only you know what you like. I'm doing the same thing as you, buying as many different varieties as I see so I can figure out which type I like. I've seen guys on here bad mouth some of what I think are the best, I'm sure you'll get the same.

You may want to try this: http://www.cigarpass...showtopic=29521

Thank you, will buy when I get more money, starting to feel like I REALLY over spent on these cigars.

I will second the advice regarding the Newbie Sampler Trade. You definitely won't feel like you overspent if you go that route. Welcome to the slippery slope that is cigars!

Thank you everyone. Will definitely give these a go and age a few of them to see the difference, next step is the newbie sampler..

I'll just say don't worry too much about getting Cuban cigars right now. There are many pitfalls out there for experienced cigar smokers, let alone a newbie who doesn't know much about them or the trouble they can put themselves into. Plenty of great non-Cuban cigars out there, plus you don't have to worry about, oh, the feds knocking on your door!

Enjoy, and welcome aboard!

Remember that the old timers here could have a substantially different pallet than yours. I know mine has gone through some changes in the past two years. And yet, a lot of the folks here still enjoy sticks that are a little strong for me at times.

Take it slow. If you like something look for deals on more or ask for suggestions based on similar smoke profiles. And just remember, when you read reviews on here there is a good chance the experience being reported is coming from someone who has smoked a lot of cigars. Their enjoyable smoke might be a time-out laying on the sofa for us newbies.

Welcome to CP! :thumbs:

-CAO Italia (Robusto) - --------------------------------------------------------------I like the blend.
-VSOP Nicaraguan Connecticut (toro) - ---------------------------------------never smoked it.
-Oliva Connecticut resserve (robusto) - ----------------------------------------very good mild to medium.
-Pinar Del Rio 1878 Cubano Especiale - --------------------------------------good for the money
-Montecristo Flor Fina - --------------------------------------------------------------never tried it.
- Gurkha Grand Reserve - -----------------------------------------------------------not my cup 'o tea.
-Cusano LXI - ----------------------------------------------------------------------------Cusano makes good cigars but I never tried that one.
-Don Lino 1989 - ------------------------------------------------------------------------read recent review in review forum.
- Thompson elite (junk)

Looking to pick up some cubans later this year, this was a splurge since im turning 20 this friday.
I agree that what others think about a cigar matters not at all. Also, that the Newbie Sampler is very useful AND that patience is recommended in this hobby. Have patience and you will determine the type of flavor profile and other things that you prefer in your cigars.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I turn 21 on the 19th! We February guys are obviously the coolest.

Might I suggest Oliva Serie V? Some Arturo Fuente products and Flor De Ybor City?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I turn 21 on the 19th! We February guys are obviously the coolest.

Might I suggest Oliva Serie V? Some Arturo Fuente products and Flor De Ybor City?

Couldnt agree more. All the kool kats are born in February!:whistling:

Oh and Newbie Sampler all the way!

Welcome to CP, and yes, give the Newbie Sampler thread a whirl when you are ready to buy more.

Welcome! That sounds like a better start than I had, that's for sure. The one thing I will add is that you may want to stay away from Thompson's. There are lots of horror stories about them. Try one of our vendors here on CP, you won't regret it. It's hard to become friends with Thompson's or CI.

I agree that what others think about a cigar matters not at all. Also, that the Newbie Sampler is very useful AND that patience is recommended in this hobby. Have patience and you will determine the type of flavor profile and other things that you prefer in your cigars.

Thanks, will give my pallet the time to adjust.

haha happy early birthday fellow February birth. I actually treated a buddy of mine to a oliva serie v churchill yesterday, a little spicy on the tongue but once I got to the sweet spot it was very smooth. I still dont have the pallet to separate the flavors yet.

Welcome! That sounds like a better start than I had, that's for sure. The one thing I will add is that you may want to stay away from Thompson's. There are lots of horror stories about them. Try one of our vendors here on CP, you won't regret it. It's hard to become friends with Thompson's or CI.

Thank you, will do.

Smoke those that you bought and remember which ones you like.
Then try another sampler, perhaps a Newbie Sampler trade.
Keep trying different cigars from different manufacturers, keeping
a mental note of those you like. Over time you'll find your favs.

The only problem is that the blessed manufacturers keep making new
blends to try, and I can't keep up!

Good luck with your new hobby. We were all new, at one time.

Buy a humidor that holds at least 3 times the number of cigars that
you expect to keep on hand. You'll also need some humidity beads
to make maintenance of your humidor easier.

Again, good luck and welcome to Cigar Pass. This is an xlnt cigar board.

Chemyst :cool:

Thompson is good for deals but not for their own made cigars. I only bought a starter humidor/cigar combo because it was cheap and in my NRA magazine and they are local. The cigars they sent were crap, the humidor is great though!

I think you did well...enjoy. Write down what you like or don't like about each cigar. Keep each band and notes on all the ones you smoke. Eventually you'll have a journal to go by, based on your likes and dislikes.

Thompson is good for deals but not for their own made cigars. I only bought a starter humidor/cigar combo because it was cheap and in my NRA magazine and they are local. The cigars they sent were crap, the humidor is great though!

Thanks, I ordered a humidor, hope its as great as it appears. Only a 75 count but i don't have the freedom to smoke too frequently. Reason being, I live in an apartment.