• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New to cigars...

MMT

I am green to the scene. The only good cigar shop around here is over an hour away. It's okay to drive if you know you're buying something, but can't just go there to browse. I have to rely on on-line vendors, which is okay, but I won't know what I'm getting until they are here. My first cigars to purchase was a tin sampler by Acid. Not expensive, but I like to start cheap and work my way to the top. Some of the first things that I've learned about cigars are that you need a humidor. I will get one, but in the meantime, what is the best way to store them? They will be in a tin (they should arrive tomorrow actually), and I'm not sure if they will be individually wrapped. The picture didn't seem as so. This led me to another question: should they be stored together? I have read that leaving cigars of different kinds together that their tastes will "blend." I have a special occasion I want them saved for right before Halloween. What are my best options?

Welcome!

Use some tupperware to store them for now. Keep those Acids away from any regular "non-flavored" cigars you might have/acquire. Acquire a few more "non-flavored" cigars as soon as possible and you might turn out ok. ;)

But for now, just get some tupperware and use that. It's cheap, convenient and you can look at either a big cooler for more storage space or if you wish, a desktop humi. I don't own a nice desktop humidor since I don't have a nice desk or other place to keep it. I use a vinotemp wine chiller for storage. Works great with some beads from heartfelt and a digital hygrometer from cigar swag. Both of which are great places to "gear up" if you so choose.

Get a boveda humidity pack for now if you don't want to mess with beads. But beads will be the best route to go at some point in the future.

Good luck! :thumbs:

Welcome. Take it slow, and try to use the search function for a lot of your questions. There is a lot of knowledge stored in the forums.
Also, get to know a Vendor who can provide you with one on one service. Nothing is better than developing a good, and lasting relationship with your vendor.

Best way to store Acids is in a plastic bag. White or black, kitchen size, draw strings, usually fit into a large recepticle in your kitchen. You can put 'em right in there with the rest of the stuff!

J/k... Kinda. Smoke what you like. Tupperware us the way to go. You just need something that seals and a water pillow type thing if you'll be keeping them over a week or so. Keep flavored smokes separate from the others.

Check out some of the vendors on here and give them a call or message. They can get you a better selection at a good price. After a while, price rarely matters if you're supporting the right folks.

Welcome to CP!

John

Cigars aren't any good...

*Save yourself while you can!*

I am green to the scene. The only good cigar shop around here is over an hour away. It's okay to drive if you know you're buying something, but can't just go there to browse. I have to rely on on-line vendors, which is okay, but I won't know what I'm getting until they are here. My first cigars to purchase was a tin sampler by Acid. Not expensive, but I like to start cheap and work my way to the top. Some of the first things that I've learned about cigars are that you need a humidor. I will get one, but in the meantime, what is the best way to store them? They will be in a tin (they should arrive tomorrow actually), and I'm not sure if they will be individually wrapped. The picture didn't seem as so. This led me to another question: should they be stored together? I have read that leaving cigars of different kinds together that their tastes will "blend." I have a special occasion I want them saved for right before Halloween. What are my best options?

Welcome MMT
When you decide to buy non-flavored cigars, stay away from Padróns, Illusione and Rocky Patel Sungrown
for they are all mine, thank you in advance.

Best way to store Acids is in a plastic bag. White or black, kitchen size, draw strings, usually fit into a large recepticle in your kitchen. You can put 'em right in there with the rest of the stuff!
Hahah, true! But yea, smoke what you want...but there are many better cigars to be had than Acids.

Welcome to the dark side. :-D

From one n00b to another, welcome!

Might as well go ahead, bite the bullet, and get a humidor. No need to invest in anything drastic at the moment. There is always time to upgrade down the road when your stash grows. I just got a small humidor that holds 50 cigars. I won't need anything larger than that for a while, so that would probably work for you, as you're getting a feel for what you like and don't like!

Good luck!!

I'm a step ahead of yeah. I'm doing a little research to find the humidor right for me. If anyone has suggestions then please. I'm thinking about buying a smaller one and building a larger one one I get time. I'm good with my hands. I have an old refrigerator I can convert. I use to use it as a fruiting chamber for mushrooms (agaricus, himubatsutake, oyster, etc.) but I've upgraded that as well.

Might as well go ahead, bite the bullet, and get a humidor. No need to invest in anything drastic at the moment. There is always time to upgrade down the road when your stash grows. I just got a small humidor that holds 50 cigars. I won't need anything larger than that for a while, so that would probably work for you, as you're getting a feel for what you like and don't like!

Good luck!!

J-Rod I said the same thing when I bought my humidor 3 months ago, now is full... I mean full to the lid and I also got a Wine-ador that is also full. Man I'm poor and cigars aren't cheap... I don't know how I did it :laugh:

edit: Honey if you're reading this I'm kidding Mami, I haven't spend no money on stupid cigars!!!! ;)

Good luck!!

J-Rod I said the same thing when I bought my humidor 3 months ago, now is full... I mean full to the lid and I also got a Wine-ador that is also full. Man I'm poor and cigars aren't cheap... I don't know how I did it :laugh:

edit: Honey if you're reading this I'm kidding Mami, I haven't spend no money on stupid cigars!!!! ;)

Yeah, I'm sure I'll be upgrading in the future as well . . . only time will tell how much I'll be upgrading

To make sure this topic doesn't stray, check out my post in the Humidor forum. I'm working on something I hope everyone can appreciate, even if they don't need another humidor.