• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New to humidors

MMT

I am new to all this, but I know that cigars need a somewhat warm, dark, humid environment. As of now I cannot get my own humidor, but I can build one. I know that some of the drawbacks of making your own iglodor or coolerdor is the concern of mold from the lack of airexchange. Some of you may not know, but I grow mushrooms as a passionate hobby. The fruiting chambers that I construct are nothing more than rubbermaid tubs. I drill holes in them several inches apart (5-7in.) around the tub, approx. 3 or 4in from the bottom of the tub. These holes are then stuffed with polyfill. The purpose of this in mushroom cultivation is that when fresh air is needed for fruitbody formation, the polyfill acts as a filter from contaminations; such as mold and other foreign spores.

My idea is to use this modified tub as a igloodor. I plan to use a small container of perllite (used in mushroom cultivation to raise and keep rH up) and water to put to the side. I havn't decided how to store the cigars. It is okay to store them in the boxes they came in right? If someone has something to add on this matter it would be awesome. Humidity can be kept by adding more water to the perlite every so often. Mold shouldn't be a problem if you use clean habits. Clean the tub for example. A cap full of hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol should work in the perlite (if there is a reason cigars should be kept away from these things let me know). Mold is also discouraged due to the air and gas exchange. As long as it's not stored in a "still air" environment you should be good. If too high of rH is a problem, you may drill more holes toward the top of the tub.

Well ladies and germs, whaddya think?

I love the idea!!
Can you make 2 of them and sell me one? Seriously, not being sarcastic!

It should be an interesting undertaking. I've never thought of using the methods used to grow mold to take care of cigars. Irony! Be sure to post photos please.

I got a nice digi camera. Unfortunaltely, I'm retarded when it comes to computers. I'll put a TEK together real soon when I get my ideas in order. The Mods allow pics and stuff right?

The Mods allow pics and stuff right?

Send a PM to Devil Doc and ask permission real quick, but you should be good to go. Pictures should clear up what you're talking about.

-John

MMT, it depends on what the subject matter of the photos are. If you read the rules, it basically states that as long as its cigar related, its okay. Devil Doc is the primary mod on the site like John said, so shoot him a quick PM to clear it with him before you just start posting the photos. I dont foresee a problem, but just to be safe.

Fuggin' newb did it too.:laugh: I put in a good word for you two, as well.:whistling:

Doc.

A cap full of hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol should work in the perlite (if there is a reason cigars should be kept away from these things let me know). Mold is also discouraged due to the air and gas exchange. As long as it's not stored in a "still air" environment you should be good. If too high of rH is a problem, you may drill more holes toward the top of the tub.

Well ladies and germs, whaddya think?

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't use peroxide or alcohol to humidify my cigars.

I'm not sure if I'm reading it right, but it sounds like you're looking to over-complicate a coolerdor. The idea behind using the cooler is that it provides a good seal, but you negate that by drilling holes in it. I personally do not use a cooler, but I know a few guys who do. Just open it once in a while, and you're fine as far as eliminating the still air environment.

Just my thoughts.

What do I think? I think you're taking a simple task and turning it into a graduate thesis on overkill. Dude, for the love of all things, here's how complicated it is:

- Buy a cooler
- Add your smokes
- Add some beads
- Close the lid

....and you have the best cigar storage on the planet, if not the best looking. No chemistry required.

Look, I like mushrooms on my pizza but I will admit that I don't know jack about growing them. However, I have a little cigar cooler experience. Before I got my cabinet, I had five coolers up and running. No mold, no problems, great cigars, no hassle.

I'm surprised that you'd say "rubbing alcohol" because most rubbing alcohol has fragrance and other crap in it (read the label). There is such a thing as pure isopropyl alcohol and it's not that hard to find. Even still, I wouldn't allow that or H2O2 (an oxidizer) anywhere near my cigars. Not required. If you absolutely have to use alcohol, use a bit of pure grain alcohol. Everclear is 190+ proof and not that hard to find. Even still, it's completely unnecessary and not all that desirable. Ever calculate the percentage of alcohol required to fully inhibit mold growth? Really want that much alcohol in the area of something you're going to consume / smoke? I'm not talking about cleaning; I use everclear to rinse out the humidifiers in my cabinet but the working liquid is plain, clear, distilled water.

Many, many guys have perfectly acceptable storage using coolers and methods that have been tried, tested, and duplicated over and over. If you're dead set in re-inventing the wheel, all I can say is good luck and have fun.

B.B.S.

Edited to add - cigars don't like a "somewhat warm" environment much unless cultivating tobacco beetles is your goal. My cabinet has pelt coolers and runs a pretty steady 68F. Your goal should be to keep the smokes under 70F at all times. Cooler doesn't hurt a bit, though it does screw around with the RH a bit if you do have large temperature swings.

Quit thinking about growing mushrooms, focus on storing cigars.......;)

I know squat about growing mushrooms, but two things come to mind after reading your description of what you want to build. The first is will the humidity be constant, or will this set up just moderate what the humidity is outside the tubs. The second is whether the humidity would be too high. A quick google search came up with humidity levels of 80-85% for when mushrooms are fruiting which is too high for cigars.

Yes humidity will be too high if you treat the tub like you're growing mushrooms. The humidity is so high you can watch the condensation falling down the sides. You manually mist the tubs with a sprayer. It's not complicated to me. I've got over a dozen of these tubs made up like this already. A bowl with moistened perlite (or whatever means you chose for rh) is placed inside. You get constant air exchange and you don't have to worry about loosing too much humidity. Whatever you adjust it too is what it will stay. I don't want to buy another $25 cooler for my cigars, I might as well spend an extra 25 for a decent humidor! Besides, my cooler is already being used as an incubator for my mushie babies :D My suggestion was based on what I have right now, and I didn't know if mold on cigars was a big concern. If I was gonna invest in some good stogies, I don't want them to go to waste!

I've seen some crazy setups for cultivation, but I don't use them. One method involves a humidifer modified and retrofitted with a top. The top is connected to a large hose. The hose from humidifier is put into a plastic greenhouse or one of those martha stuart plastic closets to keep the growing environment stable and hands free, often set on timers to regulate it. I've seen one humidifier running on 2 or 3 of these greenhouses. I know this is "complicated", but the idea of a closet full of stogies is pretty cool to me.

This idea is bad. I won't go into it because you won't listen, but this idea is bad and needlessly complex.

I think its awesome you grow mushrooms, man am I glad I didn't know you when I was going to college!! :sign:

I think its awesome you grow mushrooms, man am I glad I didn't know you when I was going to college!! :sign:

I have a friend who's a botanist. He says growing mushrooms is about as close to playing god as you can get.

Doc.

I love mushrooms. For the sake of doing something different, I say go for it, take lots of pics, and document the process as you go along.

It's not overcomplicating it dude. It's just a matter of being lazy. The cigars will be fine. To each his own I guess.

For the sake of doing something different, I say go for it, take lots of pics, and document the process as you go along.

This. Keep a record of the temperature and humidity in the container, too, and let us know.

Less than 70 degrees. Hold RH consistently. House hundreds of cigars.

If it does it, do it.

Thank you kind sirs for allowing me to spread my wings and for the enlightenment as well. Pics coming soon! I might do it this weekend when I get a dang day off work....