• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New to pipes

johncarbaugh

Antisocial Prick!
Just ordered my first pipes. Got Missouri Meerschaum Ozark Mountain Cherry or Maple Bent, Missouri Meerschaum Mini Cob Coated, and Missouri Meerschaum Pony Express. Also got a tamper and some pipe cleaners. From Frenchy's.

I was wondering if someone would set me up with a sampler. Something like the cigar noob sampler. Looked and found nothing like it for pipes. Post or PM me. I will send out my end first.

I am new to pipes and don't want to waste money on crap like I did with cigars. One word Thompson. :angry:

Are you looking to acquire a couple of bowlfuls of a number of tobaccos?

Doc

my advice for a new pipe smoker is:

1. get yourself some cobs (you've already done that)

2. get yourself some prince albert or carter hall tobacco (available at most drug/grocery stores)

these 2 tobaccos are the best for new smokers because:
1. they pack easy
2. they light easy **
3. build cake easy, they won't gunk up your bowl.
4. smoke cool with very little bite. (puff SLOWLY)
5. won't leave a ghost in your bowl when you move to other blends.

**if the tobacco out of the pouch seems too moist, let it air dry a bit before packing.

it's going to take some practice before you get the packing/lighting/smoking technique
down, but these two tobaccos are the most forgiving when mistakes are made.

There are different definitions of "crap" when it comes to pipe tobacco. There is substandard tobacco that is genuinely crap and then there are those tobaccos that are well made of quality components that some may describe as "crap" because they don't suit one's tastesthat someone else may LOVE. 1792 Flake falls into that category for me. The tobacco is first rate, but it tastes terrible in my opinion. Others love it more than their first born. Without actually trying the tobacco, it's hard to know what suits your tastes and what doesn't.

Some of the best deals in samplers are at Pipeworks & Wilke and at PipesandCigars.com. Both of these places will sell you a sampler of a wide variety and get you started with high quality tobacco. Also, Boswell's would likely be very happy to put a sampler together for you.

I would suggest calling any of these places and talking to them. They'll ask you some questions and be able to steer you down the right path. They're good folks and their prices are very fair. They cannot be compared to Thompson in any way.

If you just want to go with tinned tobacco, there's a thread here in the Pipe Room with people's "desert island" blends listed. You probably won't go wrong with a number of those.

The suggestion of Carter Hall or Prince Albert is also a good one. It's hard to appreciate the really good stuff if you're constantly relighting and trying to get the pack correct (which happens to all of us when we first start out and some of us even after some experience ;) ). These tobaccos won't punish your mistakes too much and will reward your successes very handsomely. They are very good blends.

Good luck!

I think i will go get some prince Albert or carter hall tobacco. Just so I don't pay more for shipping than for the tobacco. If I find i like it I will get a new pipe and buy more then. When is the next Boswell update :thumbs:

I just picked up some PA and CH after some research and found this to be great advise that is everywhere. A great place to go is forum.pipes.org. There are lots of tobacco threads and discussion. Check out the "all day tobacco" thread. This is where PA and CH are if not the majority choice for folks, very common.

I'm a newb at this and currently suffering tongue bite (for about two days now) as I was too stupid to stop!! Also I'm learning that what I'm smoking is way too wet and am letting some dry out a bit. Listen to the folks here and read a bunch. I'm on page 8 of the pipe room just going through the old posts and getting lots of good ideas and "ah ha" moments.

Andy

There's always a tub of PA and CH in the goat's locker.

Doc.

Well I took your advice and got some Prince Albert and some Carter Hall today. Got home and there was a pipe bomb siting on my porch. Thank you Dan for the great selection. I am looking forward to trying them.