• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Travel Humidor

Imagine

I picked up a 15 ct. travel humidor, intent on using it while at school, as opposed to lugging around my next smallest (100ct) back and forth everytime I come or go. The model I got, admittedly a "cheapy" has got a great seal, and should be ideal in size. I rarely smoke more than 15 times between breaks. This model does not have ANY cedar in it, but that's fine by me because it won't be being used to age cigars, merely to store them for short periods (usually less than 1.5 mos) of time. My question is whether or not I should season this prior to use, and if so, how I should go about it. A cursory forum search yielded answers to these questions, but they all applied to a model that did in fact have cedar lining. I was wondering if the fact that mine doesn't will affect the answers I receive. I am also interested to find out whether or not the amount of time the smokes will be "resting" in this humidor will affect the answers I receive.

Thanks for all your anticipated help, and I am sorry if I did not adequately take advantage of the search function.

Happy smoking!

I have 2 travel humis (30ct, 5ct) neither of which have any cedar. I did not do any seasoning for them and have not heard of that being important in the foam-style travel boxes. I do usually put my humidifier (a water pillow or a boveda pack) into the unit for a couple hours before I fill it. I don't know if it helps but it makes me more comfortable when I'm gonna have my cigars in there for a little while.

The longest I've traveled with mine was a little under 4 weeks. For that trip, I used a tube of beads from Heartfelt instead of a water pillow. I had to recharge the beads once or twice since I was opening the box regularly.

All that said, my cigars smoked great 'til the end of my trip. I don't think you'll have any problems with yours! I'd recommend beads since your cigars will be in there long enough for consistent RH to matter (in my opinion), and they're easy to maintain.

Just my $0.02! :thumbs: Enjoy.

If its the cigar Caddy 15 count, then no you don't need to season it. As there is nothing to season. You can take extra cedar wrappings from the cigars you smoke and lay them in there. But it really isn't necessary. I prefer my Armored Humidor over the Cigar Caddy I had. It worked for what I needed it but when I go on a 2 month vacation to say Russia, I needed something a little heavy duty. The Caddy just wouldn't have been efficient for my needs.

But for you, it should work just fine. :thumbs:

Thanks Imagine for asking the question. I got one for Christmas but also was unsure of seasoning the unseasonable.

John

Thanks for the quick, helpful responses. Knew I could count on you guys. :thumbs: