• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newb needing recommendations

BornaTiger

While I was in Biloxi a few weeks ago I picked up a Oliva serie V Melanio. I smoked it on the drive home and couldn't believe how good it tasted. After some interwebs recon I am a little cunfused because some of the reviews are different from others. I am trying to find some stogies that are close in flavor and body. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke is what I was told around here. But if you enjoyed that... try...something from Alec Bradley, or this company that just sent me a free sample http://www.flatbedcigarcompany.com/ it was one of the best smokes I have had. (personal preferences differ) there are sooooo many great sticks out there, the best way really I have found is to just shop around and give different things a try. Good luck, please post any new sticks you try and how you like them in our review section.

-Jeff

Experimenting with different smokes will lead you to know what you will enjoy, which, over time, will change. Try different vitolas (sizes). different wrappers, different origins, different manufacturers. It's all part of the fun.

A good solid all around smoke for one and all would be a Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Robusto.

Have fun and enjoy your time at CP!

C

Thanks guys. Sampling different varieties is a great idea. Its probably why I don't have a go to cigar. Lol
I will definitely try the PIF thread after the probationary 4 months are up. Geez, that's a long time.:lol:

Im having a hard time waiting my 4 months as well, but it is going to be worth it. The guys around here are awesome. Read and learn from all my fuck ups lol. There is allot of info on this site, and allot of people willing to help. Good luck! Again please post your findings. Good or Bad.

-Jeff

You both realize that you don't have to wait the 4 months to enter into the Newbie Trade?  Just go into the thread and PM the FOG on the top of the list.

The Newbie Trade doesn't require the 4 months because it allows you to get your feet wet before jumping into a pass, or a PIF.  It will also show your interaction with the community, other than posting in threads.

BornaTiger said:
Thanks guys. Sampling different varieties is a great idea. Its probably why I don't have a go to cigar. Lol I will definitely try the PIF thread after the probationary 4 months are up. Geez, that's a long time.:lol:

I'm not sure if you're referring to the PIF thread as a reply to the advice given to you or not.  Just in case you're confused, the recommendation to try the Newbie Sampler has no probationary period and can be found HERE .  Give that a try and it should give you a wonderful selection of sticks to try.

extremeXconcepts said:
I'm having a hard time waiting my 4 months as well, but it is going to be worth it. The guys around here are awesome. Read and learn from all my fuck ups lol. There is a lot of info on this site, and a lot of people willing to help. Good luck! Again please post your findings. Good or Bad.

-Jeff

Pay attention.

As CMontoya79 suggested, definitely try the Fuente, but buy a few Padron also. You need to figure out if you are a natural or Maduro fan, but Padron makes a solid smoke.

As far as eXtremeconcepts goes, be careful. He lives in a high VOC breathing area and sometimes he drifts a little to the left. We all hope he gets well soon. :)

I just want to thank y'all for the help. I never thought to look in the buy/sale/trade forum for the Newbie thread. Thanks for the link. I will definitely give the AF Don Carlos Robusto a try. I actually just got done with an AF Rosado Gran Reserva. It was pretty good.

Great forum. Great Community.

Get in on the Newbie trade. Really. Orders of magnitude better than the big online clubes.

The newbie sampler is a great deal! You can't go wrong with it. As for my recommendations, I would suggest anything padron, camacho, jc newman (brickhouse line is good and economical), and Don Pepin. Of course everyone's tastes in cigars differ so what I find to be a great cigar you may not like.

BornaTiger said:
I just want to thank y'all for the help. I never thought to look in the buy/sale/trade forum for the Newbie thread. Thanks for the link. I will definitely give the AF Don Carlos Robusto a try. I actually just got done with an AF Rosado Gran Reserva. It was pretty good.

Great forum. Great Community.
Great suggestions on this thread from fellow members. I would suggest trying something from the Illusione brand, they make quality stuff within the boutique arena. Reinado is within this group as well. Thank you.

Best,
Antonio

I just ordered some Oliva Serie V Melanio's  from a fellow BOTL here on CP, can't wait to try them.
You may want to check out Tall Paul's review of The Panacea Black Label Maduro Perfecto, it sounds fairly similar.

BigBear said:
I just ordered some Oliva Serie V Melanio's  from a fellow BOTL here on CP, can't wait to try them.
You may want to check out Tall Paul's review of The Panacea Black Label Maduro Perfecto, it sounds fairly similar.
They are very good sticks. I saw the thread too late or I would have snatched them up.
I ordered a Panacea Red Label this morning.

BornaTiger said:
They are very good sticks. I saw the thread too late or I would have snatched them up.

I will be doing another review some and its on this stick!

Tall Paul said:

Look forward to it!
I would try a review but my cigar palate isn't developed at all. :blush:

BornaTiger said:

Look forward to it!
I would try a review but my cigar palate isn't developed at all. :blush:

Neither is mine some will taste totally different and more complex things than me. Give it a shot its fun!