• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newb question...

Truckingtiger

Having never really smoked a cigar (except a macanudo once), I was wondering if someone could help me out and lead me in the right direction on what to get. Im sure I'll need something mild, I am guessing. Anyone want to make some suggestions? Where would be the best place to pick something up? Online? In person? Any help appreciated! (keep in mnd, I dont smoke cigarettes...actually hate the smell of them, but love to smell cigar smoke).

I tried the search feature, but couldn't find anything with the words I was using.

In person is best, if you can find a good retailer. They'll give you good suggestions to get you started and you can branch out from there.

Mild cigars are not my favorite, so someone else will have to chime in with suggestions.

John

There are several good retailers on this forum that could probably put a good sampler together for you if you let them know what you're looking for. There are also good websites that have mild samplers that you can pick up. That's a good way to try a one or two of a particular cigar and begin to find out what you like.

Also, I'm not sure newbies should always stick to mild cigars. I tried fuller flavored cigars (and I'm still a newbie) pretty quickly, and actually liked them very much. Don't be afraid to give anything a try. The worst that can happen is you won't like it, and you'll know not to smoke it again. I usually try to give a particular cigar at least a couple of tries on the chance that the first one was a dud.

Well, I just figured mild because of the newbness of it all. Im up for whatever is suggested to me. Thanks guys for the links...and KingAntz, I used to be a police officer in Hartsville, SC. Was there for four years. Small world, huh?

Well, I just figured mild because of the newbness of it all. Im up for whatever is suggested to me. Thanks guys for the links...and KingAntz, I used to be a police officer in Hartsville, SC. Was there for four years. Small world, huh?

No chit! Well how 'bout that. Where ya at now?

drive a truck now, so im everywhere. on my way to cali atm. I also policed in Society Hill for a few years (no speedtrap jokes...lol)

You might try the newbie sampler trade CLICK HERE
You can interact with a fine member who can assist you.
Where you headed in California?

You might try the newbie sampler trade CLICK HERE
You can interact with a fine member who can assist you.
Where you headed in California?

Newbie Samplers FTW! That is a good way to get started, just tell them your situation and they will hook you up. Be careful whith retailers in a brick & Mortar store, some always recommend what isn't selling so you need to hang around and talk a bit to develop a feel for the indivisual behind the counter.

PS. It is bad manners to ask a trucker his destination.

Stay away from this guy, he will get you so hopelessly addicted to Hard to Find cigars you soon will be hocking the mattress in your cab to get your fix. Fair warning...

The Newbie Sampler Trade is a good way to get started, and as mentioned...you don't need to try mild cigars...but you can certainly start there. They key is that everyone's tastes are different. You need to find what fits your palate since you are the one who will be smoking the cigar. That said...two options which I give to guests who are new to cigars are the Oliva Serie G and the Padron 2000. Both come in natural and maduro wrappers. I prefer the natural wrapper on the Oliva Serie G and the maduro wrapper on the Padron 2000. I would also suggest that you start with either Corona or Robusto sizes. No sense buying a Churchill or Double Corona if you are new to cigars and are not sure you will like what you are buying for the first time.

PS. It is bad manners to ask a trucker his destination.

Eh. Ill tell you anytime. Doesnt bother me for someone to ask. As long as Im not hauling a high value load (which i am strictly prohibited from discussing while im on the load), then ill tell you.

Next Friday we will be herfing in Temecula. Dude come on down if you are here or if not I will hook you up with a great shop in Ontario. PM me

Although they have both been mentioned already the newbie sampler and visiting your local shop are the best ways to try figuring out what you like. Just make sure that when you are smoking you enjoy the cigar and think about what you like and do not like about that particular cigar. Although it happens to everyone at some point or another, right now try to ignore brands and hype and just smoke a wide variety of sticks.

Oh...one other thing I forgot to mention. When you smoke be sure to save the band and take some notes on it. Brand, vitola, origin, wrapper, filler, what you liked, what you disliked, body, flavor, etc. You will be experimenting with a whole lot of different cigars, this journal will be invaluable in helping you go back and remember the cigars that you liked. It is also interesting to see your comments from the past as it gives you a real understanding of how your cigar experience evolves and your tastes change over time.

Stay away from this guy, he will get you so hopelessly addicted to Hard to Find cigars you soon will be hocking the mattress in your cab to get your fix. Fair warning...

Moi? Why I never...

:laugh:

Oh...one other thing I forgot to mention. When you smoke be sure to save the band and take some notes on it. Brand, vitola, origin, wrapper, filler, what you liked, what you disliked, body, flavor, etc. You will be experimenting with a whole lot of different cigars, this journal will be invaluable in helping you go back and remember the cigars that you liked. It is also interesting to see your comments from the past as it gives you a real understanding of how your cigar experience evolves and your tastes change over time.

For me, this advice is invaluable. I started to keep notes on what I liked and didnt like about each cigar I smoked. Moreover, I have a scale on whether or not I would buy or get the particular cigar again. I found I have been indifferent to many cigars I have tried. I wasn't sure if my palette was just undeveloped to the point that all cigars would be the same to me. Until I came across a few gems that made me think "I MUST get this again!". And the ones you come across that you enjoy to that extent, look up and research.

I actually wound up setting up a personal blog. I take a pic of each cigar I smoke along with my own review. Yes, it does take a little effort, but the cool thing is that you can sort of trace your journey. And like thechenman says, see how your cigar experiences and tastes evolve.