• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie Beer Review Stoudts Fat Dog

SiriusBlack

Always make it look easy...
Did some research on this one and was happy to find that it is produced here in PA. So its a fitting starting point for me. Here are my thoughts...

Appearance

Very dark, clean looking beer. Had a really thick foaming head. I wasn't sure of the optimal temperature and how to drink. So I went with cold and pured in a glass rather than drink from the bottle. I let it sit for a few minutes before taking my first sip.

Taste

Wow. Its an interesting first sip. You taste big bold flavor at first but then it flattens out but not in a bad way. Imagine someone yelling to get your attention but then once they have it, its a very intimate conversation. Like other stouts its a heavy, big body beer. I definitely tastes hints of chocolate and a clean and crisp taste and after taste. There is also tastes of smokiness but not over powering. Every flavors seems to complement the other with no one elements standing out too much. Very enjoyable. I didn't smoke a cigar with this one in order to get the full taste of the beer. Stay tuned for more reviews from this newbie's journey into beer. I think the next will be the SA Cherry Wheat that no one seemed to like. If it sucks might as well get it over with.

Overall rating of enjoyment: 4 out of 5

Edited to add overall rating

Well done! That's a great beer, next time try it just a little cooler than room temp and you'll be amazed how much more pronounced the flavors are. Also, always drink from a glass, for this style of beer I like a snifter. Congrats on your new addiction!

Nice review, try pairing it with a smoke, one that would compliment what you drank here. Beer is a great journey, flavors, textures, smells, oh I could just go on. It's Nirvana in a bottle, just like a great bottle of scotch.

Have Fun.

Tried the SA Cherry Wheat. You guys were right....it sucked. No need for a new thread.

Nice job! I echo Justin's sentiments on the glassware and serving temp. NEVER drink from the bottle unless it's a macro lager and you're at a BBQ w/ no other options. As soon as I kick this cold we should meet up and I'll take you to Capone's, Teresa's or TJ's. I'm also meeting up with a few fellow beer aficionados for a "cellar emptying" party sometime soon. I'll keep you posted!

Nice job! I echo Justin's sentiments on the glassware and serving temp. NEVER drink from the bottle unless it's a macro lager and you're at a BBQ w/ no other options. As soon as I kick this cold we should meet up and I'll take you to Capone's, Teresa's or TJ's. I'm also meeting up with a few fellow beer aficionados for a "cellar emptying" party sometime soon. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks! Definitely keep me posted. I appreciate it.