• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie new experiance - The Convertible

DePixeler

It was a beautiful day off last week and I used the opportunity to drive to the beach to see my son. Top down on the car all the way up...and back. I gotta say, it's an immensely enjoyable experience to enjoy a cigar on a great ride.

The convertible created some problems to deal with though. Number one IMHO is ash control. My car doesn't have an ash tray and it'd have been useless anyway as everything would have swirled out of the cockpit. I tried (once!) ditching ashes over the door sill and - besides being probably bad form, it um.... doesn't do good things to the cigar at 60mph :blush: . So, I ended up pulling over from time to time as the ash got long to make a quick pit stop for ash control into a soda can. Silly, but how do you veterans handle this? Oh, and how smoke moves in an open top car is also something to contend with!

One last fast comment if anyone's curious, the ride up was with a Fonseca 5-50 which I greatly enjoyed. It was a Baccaret on the way back.. they are more like fuses than cigars! Burned really fast! Otherwise an easy smoke. I need something stronger though I think.

I would imagine that maybe rigging a device made out of one of those tall, narrow glass candle jars (religious candle sort of things) once emptied of wax and mounted to a wide and stable base could make for a useful ashtray to have resting on the floorboard between your legs between your seat and the pedals. It would have a reasonably wide opening, but would also be tall enough that it probably wouldn't lead to the swirling out phenomenon.

I drive the wife's convertible every now and then, a cup, say Starbucks with a little water or coffee, maybe half an inch makes for a great ash tray and roll the window up a little to help with the swirling also.

Ken

What kind of car do you have?? One thing that you can get is a wind deflector that keeps down the swirling wind. It goes on the back of your seat or the back of your car. Depends on if you have two seats or four!! But I think just having some type of cup with water in it would work.

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Saab-93-Con...-Deflector.html

THESE are readily available on the Internet....they run about $20. Not sure if you get swirling wind within the car, if so this may not work.

My buddy has THIS. He has it attached to the dash of his truck somehow and he loves it.

What kind of car do you have?? One thing that you can get is a wind deflector that keeps down the swirling wind. It goes on the back of your seat or the back of your car. Depends on if you have two seats or four!! But I think just having some type of cup with water in it would work.

Great suggestion! :thumbs: I have a windstop and a convertible cover for my car. I ash out of my car, and unless I am sitting at a stop, I try to ash by the mirror. I do not roll up the windows. I have noticed ash on the windstop and also on the converitble cover. I have not burned the seats though (knock on wood). I would try a windstop and a car ashtray. What kind of car do you have?

Great suggestion! :thumbs: I have a windstop and a convertible cover for my car. I ash out of my car, and unless I am sitting at a stop, I try to ash by the mirror. I do not roll up the windows. I have noticed ash on the windstop and also on the converitble cover. I have not burned the seats though (knock on wood). I would try a windstop and a car ashtray. What kind of car do you have?

I like the suggestions so far! A McD's coffee cup would probably work with a little water in the bottom. I drive a Mazda MX-5 that also has a wind screen between the seats, and while it's a heck of a lot better than my old MGB from yesteryear, it's still pretty breezy.

I have a Sebring convertible and I usually roll the front windows up and use a cup for ashing. There is a little blowing around, but not too much.

jef

I like the suggestions so far! A McD's coffee cup would probably work with a little water in the bottom. I drive a Mazda MX-5 that also has a wind screen between the seats, and while it's a heck of a lot better than my old MGB from yesteryear, it's still pretty breezy.

What year was your MGB? I grew up around MG's, Jags and Alphas. I love those little MG's.

What year was your MGB? I grew up around MG's, Jags and Alphas. I love those little MG's.

It was a '67 'B. I loved it except it was perhaps the least reliable car I ever owned. I had to carry a crowbar to whack the fuel pump in order to start the car. Lucas electric blows imho ;) .

BTW I repeated the beach drive today with a dome-lidded coffee cup, "customized" with about 1/3 of the dome cut open. Worked the charm!

Oh... 5 Vegas classic on way to beach (this is just a nice easy smoke...recommended) and a Felipe Gregorio Dominicana on the way back (meh).

I ran into a similar problem this weekend.

Had a PUNCH Coronation in my buddy's car on the way to his cottage. I figured i could just stick the end out the window and the ash would fly off... well I didn't even get the cigar out the window (it was open very slightly), and the ash flew off into the backseat haha

Best way I figured to do it, was open the window slightly, ash into the palm of my hand, then throw very quickly out the window :D I'm sure there are better ways, but it worked!

I used to have this same problem and I used the whole cup with some liquid in it, and I kept it down on the floorboard to try to get as little wind as possible around it.

Silly, but how do you veterans handle this?

LOL, I had the same problems when I got my convertable two years ago... Now, I keep the windows up(helps a bit with the wind in the cockpit), and when I need to ash, I make a quick dash over my head(it must be quick, otherwise your wrapper will end up suffering) and let the wind carry the ash off. I've found that when you ash out of the side window sill, the ash will almost always be carried right into your backseat, or your eyes (wich is always fun at 60+ mph). The over-the-head method works pretty well. Or you can always invest in some driving goggles :D