• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie or anybody for that matter pass.

steamboat

Future Skinny Person
Okay I am ready for my first attempt at a pass.

This will be a simple pass, a little less complicated than normal, primarily because I am new to the process and this pass is open to newbies. The pass is limited to seven people becuase my cigar shop didn't have a full box of Saint Louis Rey Series G Churchill Maduros. I bought all they had and I am keeping some because I like them.

Reply to this thread if you want to play and send me a PM with the address where you want the box delivered. I will mail the box to the first party as soon as I have seven players.

When the box arrives, check the contents to make sure it matches the inventory posted in this thread take two Saint Louis Ray's and put something(s) of equal value. I want you to take two because you can't really tell if you like a cigar from one smoke. First impressions are often misleading.

Repack the box and send it on to the next person on the list.

Return to this thread and post what you put and the box is on its way to the next person.

The current inventory is 14 SLR Series G Churchill Maduros.

PS. SLR series G maduros are a full bodied cigar and when they tell you a cigar is full bodied, they really means it is as strong as an army mule. They smoke and taste really good but you will know you have smoked a cigar.

All the cigar pass rules and etc. in the sticky apply.

I have a suggestion. Take it or leave it. I am making this suggestion because you may not get many takers for two SLR Series G Churchills, fine cigars that they are, for just the cost of postage and insurance. Let alone two cigars. Sweeten the pot, so to speak. ;)

My suggestion is buy a second box of cigars. Something most newbs would be interested in trying. I'm thinking Tatuajes Noella or 601 Habano or Fuente Cuban Belicoso. Nothing fancy but something good they MAY not have tried. If it's a 25-count box, you could even let them have three.

Or maybe Padron 2000 Maddies?

Just a thought.

I have a suggestion. Take it or leave it. I am making this suggestion because you may not get many takers for two SLR Series G Churchills, fine cigars that they are, for just the cost of postage and insurance. Let alone two cigars. Sweeten the pot, so to speak. ;)

My suggestion is buy a second box of cigars. Something most newbs would be interested in trying. I'm thinking Tatuajes Noella or 601 Habano or Fuente Cuban Belicoso. Nothing fancy but something good they MAY not have tried. If it's a 25-count box, you could even let them have three.

Or maybe Padron 2000 Maddies?

Just a thought.
If you don't have some single cigars to mix up in the pass, I seriously doubt that you'll get anybody to sign onto this pass for what you're offering in the SLR's. Like Vortex said, the cost of shipping w/dc damn near outweighs the price of the two cigars you're offering.

I'm hesitant to sign up for two reasons: One, I don't want to cause any problems with other members if they're not really agreeing with the pass and two, (Vortex and Jonesy hit it dead on) that the only thing offered is two sticks that have already been classified as very strong (which I don't really care for).

IF it doesn't offend anyone to where I'm frowned upon in this community, and there's a little more selection in the pass itself, I would like to give my first newbie pass a go....

Thanks!

While I'm always up for a good pass, this one really doesn't interest me. Mix it up. How about put 3 SLR G Maduros and then fill the box with other singles. Mix up the wrappers, strength, etc. At this rate I kind of doubt many will join this pass due to all the previous posts reasons.

Were not doing this to talk down to you or rain on your parade, but rather to lend some helpful advice in that the current way you have things set up and what your offering really doesn't do it for almost anyone.

Bro, don't think I'm trying to rain on your parade, but this pass isn't doing your rep much good. Honestly, you've been handed some good advice and seem to be just blowing it off.

I still think fiver trades is the way to go if you're looking for a variety of cigars. In addition to the trade I agreed to do with you, you can do 2-3 more with 2-3 other BOTLs. That will help your reputation more than this kind of pass will accomplish.

Edit to add: Here's an example: Link

You're getting some solid advice here. Why don't you see if you can get in on Bilder's Pass. :thumbs:

Maybe do some trades. Steve said he'd trade with you. Hell, I'll do a little trading with ya too if ya want! :cool:

You're getting some solid advice here. Why don't you see if you can get in on Bilder's Pass. :thumbs:

Maybe do some trades. Steve said he'd trade with you. Hell, I'll do a little trading with ya too if ya want! :cool:

Andy and I have already agreed to a trade, so we're good there.

Dan is good peeps, Andy, in case you're interested in a trade with him. :thumbs:

Steamboat, I admire your enthusiasm. A number of people here have suggested that you go read some of the old passes to to get a feel for what really goes on. I'll paraphrase mine for you:

I invited a guy who got in a pissing match with some others on this board and left CP for good two days later.

I had a gimmic that forced me to look-up nearly every cigar that was Put to determine not only it's value, but its size as well

I received phone calls twice because the USPO wanted to charge based on dimentional weight (over $25)

I received a PM from one of the more experienced members of the pass slapping my hand for allowing a very bad trade.

My pass got hung up twice at busy members doorsteps and ended up in the summer sun when it should have been home.

I had to nix a trade that a friend wanted to make.

I'm sharing this with you not simply to show you what can go wrong, but to emphasize that how things like this are handled is why people read old pass threads, and the uninvolved follow current pass threads. You have stated that you want to earn some stripes, and that's great. You also state that you want to make this pass so simple even a newb can handle it. If there is no challenge, then there are no learning experiences. Go ahead and run a pass, but make it worth your while, learn something. Put together a mixed bag, and run it like nearly every other pass around here is run, everything in the box is tradable.

If you still want to introduce your SLRs to a new group, take a look at "the Ammo Can Pass". That pass involved everybody taking a prescribed package plus any other trades they wanted to make.

Norcall offered to help, I'll offer the same, again, from the outside not in the pass.

More really excellent advice from the gallery.

S'boat, no one's going to trash your pass. I don't think that's the way we do things here and it's not the right way in any case. What the guys are telling you about providing some interest is for real. You just might not get any takers.

If you want to try new smokes? Do some trades.

If you want other folks to experience the "G" then consider bombing a stick each to a few members here.

A pass is an investment in time, effort, and cigars on the part of the organizer. They're demanding to run when done right because they take into account the interests of the passers as well as the organizer. If done shoddily or with a minimal amount of research and effort, what would motivate members, even new members from hopping on?

Wilkey

I am not interested in taking advantage of anybody and it appears that this pass dosen't meet the standards so this pass is cancelled.

How did a newbie know in advance that the big kids weren't going to let him play? I love my SLR's so there is no downside for me. It wasn't like I was sending out something I hated hoping to get something better in return.

More really excellent advice from the gallery.

S'boat, no one's going to trash your pass. I don't think that's the way we do things here and it's not the right way in any case. What the guys are telling you about providing some interest is for real. You just might not get any takers.

If you want to try new smokes? Do some trades.

If you want other folks to experience the "G" then consider bombing a stick each to a few members here.

A pass is an investment in time, effort, and cigars on the part of the organizer. They're demanding to run when done right because they take into account the interests of the passers as well as the organizer. If done shoddily or with a minimal amount of research and effort, what would motivate members, even new members from hopping on?

Wilkey

The motivation would be to get to play. You guys assume I didn't read any threads. All the passes I read said, you need X number of posts and registered for X months and maybe we will let you play and maybe we won't.

All the replies to this thread all seem centered around the value of the SLR's and "What's in it for me?" One poster said I should send a few bombs.

I think I entered this process with the wrong premise. I thought we were trading because trading was fun.

I am not interested in taking advantage of anybody and it appears that this pass dosen't meet the standards so this pass is cancelled.

How did a newbie know in advance that the big kids weren't going to let him play? I love my SLR's so there is no downside for me. It wasn't like I was sending out something I hated hoping to get something better in return.
Hmmm, please don't take this to heart, but I am going to rebut a few of your points here.

I did not take note of anyone suggesting you intended to take advantage of this community's membership. Nor did anyone suggest your proposed pass did not pass any "standards" muster. A pass is wholly up to its organizer in its specifics, including its initial inventory. I have seen plenty of variation in the "standard" pass. As long as the rules are stated upfront and clearly, it is up to individual members to choose to participate on their own review of its merits. I also did not see examples of "big kids" not allowing you to play. In fact, I think I saw several examples of members encouraging you to play with them and offering to trade with you individually. The simple fact is that your proposed box pass was just not enticing enough to participate in. Not by a long shot, in my opinion.

Also, intentional by you or not, you WOULD HAVE received something MUCH BETTER in return if this box pass had come to complete fruition. It is the nature of box passes. Most people generally recognize that running a box pass is a bit of a pain in the --- and tend to "reward" the host with something along the lines of at least a "host bag" inclusion. They also generally recognize that most box passes are operated in full view of the board (and generally well read by many board members) and strive their best to put in better cigars than they take, both out of a sense of fairness/good play and to protect and/or bolster their name within the cigar community. This phenomenon seems to be exceptionally true for most new members, as they seem to try even harder to make a good impression with quality cigar inputs. Thus, I have little doubt you would indeed have received a great package in return if you had passed your box around. In light of that (which, I grant you, you did state you were not seeking to receive anything better in return), I don't think it would be too much to ask for, at minimum, a better variety of inventory for participants to choose from.

By the way, how did you intend to address humidification issues? Labeling (sure, a minor concern, but a nice touch)? I could go on...

Hmmm, please don't take this to heart, but I am going to rebut a few of your points here.

I did not take note of anyone suggesting you intended to take advantage of this community's membership. Nor did anyone suggest your proposed pass did not pass any "standards" muster. A pass is wholly up to its organizer in its specifics, including its initial inventory. I have seen plenty of variation in the "standard" pass. As long as the rules are stated upfront and clearly, it is up to individual members to choose to participate on their own review of its merits. I also did not see examples of "big kids" not allowing you to play. In fact, I think I saw several examples of members encouraging you to play with them and offering to trade with you individually. The simple fact is that your proposed box pass was just not enticing enough to participate in. Not by a long shot, in my opinion.

Also, intentional by you or not, you WOULD HAVE received something MUCH BETTER in return if this box pass had come to complete fruition. It is the nature of box passes. Most people generally recognize that running a box pass is a bit of a pain in the --- and tend to "reward" the host with something along the lines of at least a "host bag" inclusion. They also generally recognize that most box passes are operated in full view of the board (and generally well read by many board members) and strive their best to put in better cigars than they take, both out of a sense of fairness/good play and to protect and/or bolster their name within the cigar community. This phenomenon seems to be exceptionally true for most new members, as they seem to try even harder to make a good impression with quality cigar inputs. Thus, I have little doubt you would indeed have received a great package in return if you had passed your box around. In light of that (which, I grant you, you did state you were not seeking to receive anything better in return), I don't think it would be too much to ask for, at minimum, a better variety of inventory for participants to choose from.

By the way, how did you intend to address humidification issues? Labeling (sure, a minor concern, but a nice touch)? I could go on...

I am going to address a couple of your points. You don't think nine, ten counting yours after I cancelled, didn't kill my pass before it began? All us newbies are concerned about what the big kids think so when nine big kids say it isn't worth it, the newbies ain't playing, period, game over and when multiple big kids tell me my pass isn't good, I cancel.

I received one trade offer and accepted and I just mailed the money order for a blind newbie trade. You are the third or fourth person to mention I had offers to trade but only one has acknowledged that I jumped at each opportunity.

The cigars are packed in an airtight storage container with bubble wrap and a Dry Mist tube. I planned to place the container in a ziplog bag with the letter and labels and then fill the interior of the box with bubble wrap.

I read the sticky about packaging. I could give you my eBay seller name and you could read my feedback but someone will just post that members here don't care about what happens on other sites.

Okay I am ready for my first attempt at a pass.

This will be a simple pass, a little less complicated than normal, primarily because I am new to the process and this pass is open to newbies. The pass is limited to seven people becuase my cigar shop didn't have a full box of Saint Louis Rey Series G Churchill Maduros. I bought all they had and I am keeping some because I like them.

Reply to this thread if you want to play and send me a PM with the address where you want the box delivered. I will mail the box to the first party as soon as I have seven players.

When the box arrives, check the contents to make sure it matches the inventory posted in this thread take two Saint Louis Ray's and put something(s) of equal value. I want you to take two because you can't really tell if you like a cigar from one smoke. First impressions are often misleading.

Repack the box and send it on to the next person on the list.

Return to this thread and post what you put and the box is on its way to the next person.

The current inventory is 14 SLR Series G Churchill Maduros.

PS. SLR series G maduros are a full bodied cigar and when they tell you a cigar is full bodied, they really means it is as strong as an army mule. They smoke and taste really good but you will know you have smoked a cigar.

All the cigar pass rules and etc. in the sticky apply.

A post(or individual pm) regrading a pass with one type of cigar (that's not a HTF) may have helped gauge interest.
or
If you said...I have a box of 858 Rosados and each member takes 2...heck, I'd give it a shot! :D

This is of more concern than the smokes:
"How did a newbie know in advance that the big kids weren't going to let him play? "

You knew in advance and still tried it out. ???

Good luck on your trades.

When the box arrives... take two Saint Louis Ray's and put something(s) of equal value. I want you to take two because you can't really tell if you like a cigar from one smoke. First impressions are often misleading.

I think I entered this process with the wrong premise. I thought we were trading because trading was fun.

I can see why you might consider this fun, but how would anyone else? Based on your rules, participants must take 2 SLRs and -- in turn -- get the "pleasure" of shipping it on to the next person for $5-$10. ???

And your "big kids/little kids" comments are out of line, IMO.

Steamboat, that is the motivation; trading is fun.

However, the community watches out for other members carefully. Good intentions won't make up for lack of experience. Running a pass is a big job, and a good pass involves a lot more that putting a box of cigars in the mail. I strongly urge you to follow the solid advice you're getting; do a few trades (like a noobie sampler), get to know some folks, and then when you want to run a pass, solicit the help of an experienced member for at least the first pass, perhaps more. A long term member will likely add to the starting lineup, making the pass more interesting for everyone involved.

No one is trying to rain on your parade, and it's not personal. Experience and a couple of pretty dramatic train wrecks along the way have taught the membership that the first step to running a solid pass is a solid reputation, and experienced help. Blowing off good advice isn't a good start.

And your "big kids/little kids" comments are out of line, IMO.
Agreed. Way out of line. Might rethink your choice of words there. Are you deliberately trying to piss off experienced members?

Food for thought - B.B.S.