• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie Question around Boveda and maintaining humidity

achok16

Hello fellow Cigar Aficionados,

I'm relatively new with Cigar storage - decided to invest in an Audew JC-48A, seasoned it for a few weeks, and have roughly 260 cigars in my collection (cuban + non-cuban). I've been running smoothly at 64F & 65-66% humidity since this past January, using multiple Boveda packs (320G @ 65% humidity).

I've noticed over the past few weeks my electronic humidor thermometer has been creeping over 70% humidity consistently. Even had it as high as 77% humidity over the weekend. Thought this was a sure tell sign of perhaps my Boveda packs were running out (despite them still being soft and squishy), so regardless I replaced them with a new batch. But I don't see my humidity lowering back down to the 65% range tbh. It's still currently at around 73.1%.

Now I will say that I did not realize that I was using 5 x 320G packs previously - and now I'm only using 3 x 320G packs.

Question: Is my issue that I only need to add another 2 Boveda packs or could it be some other issue I should be concerned about. Perhaps I'm being too impatient and I need to wait a few more days to see if the humidity level lowers? Thankfully no mold (yet) on 90% of my stock, with the exception of my Partagas Series D which has a slight film building up - but it easily brushes off.

Thanks in advance!

Great suggestion. Just ordered a Boveda Salt Test Kit - I'll report back on the results.

Great suggestion. Just ordered a Boveda Salt Test Kit - I'll report back on the results.
I'm too late it seems but, don't waste your money on that. Google "how to calibrate hygrometer" you'll see how to salt test them yourself.

ETA-the google part

@jbfurdog , @kann - nice to meet you both. I'm a newbie collector, but avid cigar smoker. Excited to learn about the nuances of cigar collecting.

I managed to pick up a Boveda salt test kit - and I'm 12 hours in so far. Reading looks to be spot on with 74.6% reading so far - but let's see how the last 12 hours go.

That being said, I'm assuming I need to put in some more 65% Boveda packs perhaps? I tried to put in some of the older ones - but they aren't changing squat - so the old ones must be depleted by now is the assumption.

Any other suggestions?

@jbfurdog , @kann - nice to meet you both. I'm a newbie collector, but avid cigar smoker. Excited to learn about the nuances of cigar collecting.

I managed to pick up a Boveda salt test kit - and I'm 12 hours in so far. Reading looks to be spot on with 74.6% reading so far - but let's see how the last 12 hours go.

That being said, I'm assuming I need to put in some more 65% Boveda packs perhaps? I tried to put in some of the older ones - but they aren't changing squat - so the old ones must be depleted by now is the assumption.

Any other suggestions?

Here you go!

Any other suggestions?
If you added a lot of new cigars it could effect humidity. Lots of retails over humidify.

Hey everyone - so just a quick update. My digital hygrometer was perfect- and it turns out after a few days, my humidity did actually stablize.

Now a new problem - On one of my cigar boxes (Partagas Series D), I do notice some slight mold (or at least it seems to be). Is this something I can safely wipe away and not be too concerned about? Pic attached below...

Attachments

• 20210402_094054.jpg
    20210402_094054.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 19
Hey everyone - so just a quick update. My digital hygrometer was perfect- and it turns out after a few days, my humidity did actually stablize.

Now a new problem - On one of my cigar boxes (Partagas Series D), I do notice some slight mold (or at least it seems to be). Is this something I can safely wipe away and not be too concerned about? Pic attached below...

Oh, that hurts my soul. First thing -- isolate those suckers. Take them out of your humidor and place them in a Ziploc by themselves. Search out "colloidal silver" here on the forums, and you will learn a bunch about treating and preventing mold. Though I'd say that's a little more than "slight" mold, as long as the mold is not on the foot of the cigar, you should be alright to clean those off and store/smoke them. I wouldn't put them back in with the rest of your stash, though, until they've been treated with colloidal silver.

As previously noted, isolate those cigars ASAP.
Myself; I would place them in a ZipLock with a 69% Boveda.
86 that box itself; just toss it.
Was the box in a humidor?

I have experienced the mold issue, many years ago, in one of my smaller humidors.
Luckily I only stored a few sticks in it at that time.
I removed all of the cigars. I gently wiped the mold from the cigars with Q-Tips.
I kept all of these cigars isolated from all other cigars, until the cigars were smoked & gone.

AFA the humidor, I wiped down all interior surfaces with 70% IPA & allowed it to dry for several days.
I then re-seasoned the humidor. After re-seasoning was complete I allowed the humidor to remain stable (70/70) for a full month.
After a full month I could not detect any mold inside the humidor. :)
Don't know if using IPA for humidor interior surfaces is recommended, or not but it worked for me.

Good luck

EDIT: I noticed many years ago my AF Anejos tended to become petri dishes for mold, under the cedar sleeves. After this, any time I purchased any AF Anejos, I remove the cedar sleeves before I put them in storage. I also keep all my AF Anejos stored separate from all my other sticks. YMMV

Last edited:
Hi guys, thanks for the valuable advice. I've already isolated the cigars in question, but I'll follow the rest of the suggestions and report back once I'm done.

Thanks again!