• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie question: Building SMALL humidor

speedingpenguin

I'm new to cigars, just looking to build something that can hold 10-15 cigars and keep them fresh. I only smoke one or two a week, and because of my work and school schedual I dont see that number going up too far at least till summer. I think a coolidor or tuppedor would be too big, and dont wanna spend much money (Cant....insurance, car payment, and gas take up practically all the money I make! Being 18 with a 96 Cobra is a little tougher than I first thought!)
I know in the future I'll need something bigger, but I'm moving to Ohio this summer for school, so I'll probably just get something good when I'm out there. I've searched through the forums, went through 8 pages of "home made humidor" posts, and didnt find an exact answer. I just need something really small to hold, as i said, a very small number of cigars. Figuring if I smoke 3 a week (probably less than that), I'd be looking at some cigars being in there for a little over a month if I built something to fit ~15 cigars. Is this too long to be worth it? I just dont want to be making a trip to the cigar store every other week. Thanks,
-Chris

Chris, if you are looking for a cheap small humidor, try this: link
It is only $22 and will hold 25 to 50 cigars.

As must folks on this board will tell you, get a bigger humidor then you think you will need.
They fill up fast. :laugh:

junkman_56 said:
Chris, if you are looking for a cheap small humidor, try this: link
It is only $22 and will hold 25 to 50 cigars.

As must folks on this board will tell you, get a bigger humidor then you think you will need.
They fill up fast. :laugh:
[snapback]295868[/snapback]​

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I was about to post the exact same link!

Nick

if you only need something to last you a couple of months I bet your cigar shop will give you one of those humi bags. They can prob hold about 10 smokes and they last for 6 months.

Also if you ask them they will probably give you some kind of cheap humi packet or humidifier that you can put in a sealable glass jar or tupperware. I know my first humidor was made from a round humidifier that my B&M gave me for free and a glass jar that they use to hold pipe tobacco in.
If you dont mind spendnig 25 bucks then might as well go for the humidor pictures above. It would look much better and you would have some room to grow.
Hope this helps!

Brandon

Well, the cigars come in a plastic zip-loc style bag, i'm not guessing thats the thing you're talking about? For the price, i might just buy that other one though...

speedingpenguin said:
Well, the cigars come in a plastic zip-loc style bag, i'm not guessing thats the thing you're talking about? For the price, i might just buy that other one though...
[snapback]296088[/snapback]​

no I am talking about a humidipak. It is a bag, about the same size as the ziplocs, that have a humidification system in them that last 6 months. They are only a couple dollars and most B&Ms will give them to regulars. They will also give you a cheap humidifier to put in tuperware or a glas container. The best bet, imo, is to ask your local shop. They will probably hook you up with some system for free. pm me if you have any questions about how to make one of these cheap humidors; that is if you dont want to spend the 25 bucks. For the money, its not bad, but I am just saying you can get by for free.

Brandon

These guys have given you great advice...personally I'd go with the rig from CheapHumidors.

What school in Ohio are you going to?

Joebob said:
These guys have given you great advice...personally I'd go with the rig from CheapHumidors.

What school in Ohio are you going to?
[snapback]296148[/snapback]​
The University of Northwestern Ohio, for Automotive High Performance Technology :)
(Lima, OH)

How can a tuppedor possibly be too big? They make tupperware smaller than any cigar I've ever seen. You could certainly find one the right size.

True. You could get/make a 10-20 cigar Tupperdore pretty easliy. Personally, I would go for the cheap humi, though.

Drop me a PM when you get here. I live about 20 minutes from OU and work about 5 minutes from OSU. We'll get the Columbus crew together for a little herf.

STYX&STONED said:
Drop me a PM when you get here. I live about 20 minutes from OU and work about 5 minutes from OSU. We'll get the Columbus crew together for a little herf.
[snapback]296355[/snapback]​
I'll keep that in mind when I get out there! Probably be the beginning of August :)

hey i dont smoke that often as well to purchase a large humidor. me and my buddy split a tupperadore having like 12-15 cigars each and i only spent about 25 for the beads,tupperadore and the hygrometer. the beads i got from viper. and tupperadore and hygrometer from kmart and the cedar wood from my local store

hobbes1 said:
hey i dont smoke that often as well to purchase a large humidor. me and my buddy split a tupperadore having like 12-15 cigars each and i only spent about 25 for the beads,tupperadore and the hygrometer. the beads i got from viper. and tupperadore and hygrometer from kmart and the cedar wood from my local store
[snapback]296519[/snapback]​

but for 25 bucks he can buy the humi on cheaphumidors, so I would recommend that unless you want to do it for free.

Brandon

buy a cooler. trust me. I had a 300ct i thought would take 2 or 3 years to fill. 6 months later i got a cooler. Plus you can set up a coolidor for like 40 bucks or less. This way, when you find a box you like, or just come across a great deal you can't pass up you have room to store it. Believe me, you will be buying a cooler in 6 months if you stay on this board!!!

All this kid needs is a humi bag. For what he described this is all he needs and it'll cost him next to nothing and require no upkeep. Between school and chasing tang he won't have the time or money to maintain a humidor. ;)

You can buy a med size bag .....HERE..... for 7 bucks that will take care of you for approx 6 months. I'm not endorsing the above vendor as it was the first one I found when I searched. You may be able to find this even cheaper.

You can read about them here: FAQ Humipak

Save your money for beer! :cool:

Buy a 65% Boveda humidifier...put your cigars in a large storage zip-loc with a couple of cedar deviders and fugget-about-it!

-Fetter

Allofus123 said:
All this kid needs is a humi bag. For what he described this is all he needs and it'll cost him next to nothing and require no upkeep. Between school and chasing tang he won't have the time or money to maintain a humidor. ;)

You can buy a med size bag .....HERE..... for 7 bucks that will take care of you for approx 6 months. I'm not endorsing the above vendor as it was the first one I found when I searched. You may be able to find this even cheaper.

You can read about them here: FAQ Humipak

Save your money for beer! :cool:
[snapback]296832[/snapback]​

If you go this route, as I said in the earier post, your shop should give you one for free if you are a regular. I know the guys at my B&M give them out occasionally. And I agree, save your money for beer and smokes! :thumbs:

Brandon