• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie questions - changing taste, draw, ambisol, etc.

eegeland

Hey all,

I have a few questions I have been wanting to ask. Looking forward to the jabs as well as the informed answers :thumbs:

What the hell does HERF stand for?

Is it normal for a smoke to taste different in the beginning, middle, and end?

95% of the time I get a numb Ambisol taste/feel at the end of a smoke. Is this normal? If so, why?

Is there are proper/preferred way to draw (soft, hard, one to get it smoking and one to savor, hold the smoke, blow it out right away)?

I have heard of "oily" wrappers (like its a good thing). I have not seen or felt this. How do you tell?

Plastic shipping wrappers on or off when in humidor?

Thanks!!
Eric

P.S. Feel free to expound beyond yes/no as I want to learn.

Those are all good questions and I know that a lot of your answers can be found with the search option. I had the same questions when I first started smoking and I am very much still a noob. Try searching for those answers though bro. You'll find that finding the answer for yourself is much more rewarding than having someone hand you the answer.

Herf probably doesn't stand for anything, but its etymology is not known. I've heard some theories, but there seems to be no consensus.
Yes, it's very common for the taste to change during a smoke. One that doesn't is usually considered one-dimensional, while one that changes a lot is often called complex. Usually it takes an inch or so for a cigar to 'develop' into the taste that the smoker is really looking for. The last few inches of the cigar are usually the strongest/harshest. Since cigars don't have a filter the way cigarettes do, the tars are filtered throughout its length, meaning the longer you smoke, the more tar is built up in the head of the cigar, making it taste harsher. The ring size and length of the cigar can affect the taste, too.
The 'ambisol' feeling you're getting is probably just the nicotine doing its magic.
Don't suck on your cigar like a New Orleans hooker (to steal a phrase). The preferred method is to 'sip' at it. If you're constantly puffing, your cigar will burn hotter and taste harsher because of it. Personally, I'm a bit impatient, and smoke faster than I should, but find a speed that you enjoy, and that's the right one.
When you feel an oily wrapper, you'll know.
As for cellophane on or off, it makes no difference. I leave mine on.

I love the way even a bad cigar tastes at the end. What does that say about me! :rolleyes:

I definitely draw hard and typically draw one quick (like when you light it) to get it nice and hot and then take a big draw. Seems that is the exact wrong thing to do. When I "sip" I don't seem to get enough smoke?? I get the advice though and will try it! If I am craving that stove pipe mouth full of smoke, maybe sipping a stronger cigar is he answer.

Well, experimenting is half the fun! Thanks man. Interacting on these things is way more fun than searching (360) :whistling:

Seriously, search is your friend, though. We've got some very tenured members here. Imagine how cranky you'd be if people asked you the same questions all the time when the information is already available to them.

If the ambisol isn't working for you, you could try anusol. ;)

Gavin gave you some great answers, but his advice about using the search function is tantamount. The cello on or cello off debate is never ending and tiresome. You didn't know that, but now you do so no harm no foul. This place is a wealth of knowledge, you just need to look for it.

Herf probably doesn't stand for anything, but its etymology is not known. I've heard some theories, but there seems to be no consensus.
Yes, it's very common for the taste to change during a smoke. One that doesn't is usually considered one-dimensional, while one that changes a lot is often called complex. Usually it takes an inch or so for a cigar to 'develop' into the taste that the smoker is really looking for. The last few inches of the cigar are usually the strongest/harshest. Since cigars don't have a filter the way cigarettes do, the tars are filtered throughout its length, meaning the longer you smoke, the more tar is built up in the head of the cigar, making it taste harsher. The ring size and length of the cigar can affect the taste, too.
The 'ambisol' feeling you're getting is probably just the nicotine doing its magic.
Don't suck on your cigar like a New Orleans hooker (to steal a phrase). The preferred method is to 'sip' at it. If you're constantly puffing, your cigar will burn hotter and taste harsher because of it. Personally, I'm a bit impatient, and smoke faster than I should, but find a speed that you enjoy, and that's the right one.
When you feel an oily wrapper, you'll know.
As for cellophane on or off, it makes no difference. I leave mine on.

I guess I have a different take on that: If I can get several different flavors out of a cigar, I consider that complex whether it changes or not. For example if I am smoking a Boli PC, I usually get some coffee, vanilla, wood and nutmeg flavors that carry through the length of the cigar. The dominant taste might change from one of those to the other but those flavors are what I get from start to finish. I don't consider that smoke, or any smoke that does that, one dimensional. I've only encountered two cigars that have changed dramatically on me around the midpoint, an RP Sungrown and several LA Preferido Lanceros. I'm not saying one definition is right (though mine probably is :p :laugh: ) and the other wrong, just some food for thought.

What the hell does HERF stand for?
I have no idea what HERF stands for, but it's just a gathering of people to smoke cigars.
Is it normal for a smoke to taste different in the beginning, middle, and end?
I've had many cigars change in thirds...I've also had cigars stay the same the entire way through. It's just a matter of what you pick up on in a cigar.

95% of the time I get a numb Ambisol taste/feel at the end of a smoke. Is this normal? If so, why?
The only time this happens to me is if I smoke a cigar that is too young...when it has a sort of acrid or bitter taste, especially towards the end of the cigar.
Is there are proper/preferred way to draw (soft, hard, one to get it smoking and one to savor, hold the smoke, blow it out right away)?
You don't really need to draw hard to get a cigar smoking. If you're using a torch lighter, always "toast the foot of the cigar. When this is done, you can usually start smoking away. As far as the rest of your question, it's all personal preference. Some guys exhale through their noses to catch the nuances of the cigar...I've not yet mastered this so I can't go into detail on it.

I have heard of "oily" wrappers (like its a good thing). I have not seen or felt this. How do you tell?
An "oily wrapper" isn't oily so to speak. It's a wrapper that has a "sheen" or "shine" to it. This means the cigar is in good condition and has been properly stored. When a cigar has started drying out, it won't have a sheen to it.
Plastic shipping wrappers on or off when in humidor?
You never get the same answer to this question. Some take the cello off, some leave it on, some cut the flap on the end off so the foot of the cigar isn't covered. Another personal preference.

I am a new to smoking cigars also, but in the beginning of me enjoying cigars, I read that the numbness comes from the cigar still aging and its the ammonia breakdown of the tobacco leaves. Then weeks later, I stopped into my local cigar shop and a sales rep ( cigar company name escapes me) said the same thing to me after asking that question. Who knows, thats is what I was told. As far as the rest of your questions I am still learning the ropes from reading and experiences and these guys can probably answer them.

My 2c and I am sticking to it
Rich

Thanks guys. That all makes sense. The 3 changes thru the cigar, no sheen, and the Ambisol thing have all happened with Thompson specials.

The cigs I got from Jonesy and Niko had some sheen to them and didn't do the change and numbness thing. Guess it all comes down to quality!

I do have a couple good smokes that I received dry and peeling. Will some time in the humidor "fix" them or are they beyond repair? Not to say I wouldn't smoke them but I should not judge that particular brand and run until I smoke one with some oil still in it. Make sense?

I guess I have a different take on that: If I can get several different flavors out of a cigar, I consider that complex whether it changes or not. For example if I am smoking a Boli PC, I usually get some coffee, vanilla, wood and nutmeg flavors that carry through the length of the cigar. The dominant taste might change from one of those to the other but those flavors are what I get from start to finish. I don't consider that smoke, or any smoke that does that, one dimensional. I've only encountered two cigars that have changed dramatically on me around the midpoint, an RP Sungrown and several LA Preferido Lanceros. I'm not saying one definition is right (though mine probably is :p :laugh: ) and the other wrong, just some food for thought.
I think your definition is also correct, while mine contains gross oversimplifications.

Thanks guys. That all makes sense. The 3 changes thru the cigar, no sheen, and the Ambisol thing have all happened with Thompson specials.

The cigs I got from Jonesy and Niko had some sheen to them and didn't do the change and numbness thing. Guess it all comes down to quality!

I do have a couple good smokes that I received dry and peeling. Will some time in the humidor "fix" them or are they beyond repair? Not to say I wouldn't smoke them but I should not judge that particular brand and run until I smoke one with some oil still in it. Make sense?

Really, the best thing to do is relax, read, and sample as many different smokes as you can until you find what you like. If a stick is dry and peeling I'm not so sure it is repairable...at least not the peeling part. Dried out smokes can be rescued with slow gradual re-humidification, however, time in the humi will not make the wrapper magically reseal itself.

On a side note, do you know what type of smoke you do enjoy the most? i.e. Mild, Med., or Full? Maduro? Natural? etc?

Do some reading, searching, and sampling and enjoy your time!

Really, the best thing to do is relax, read, and sample as many different smokes as you can until you find what you like. If a stick is dry and peeling I'm not so sure it is repairable...at least not the peeling part. Dried out smokes can be rescued with slow gradual re-humidification, however, time in the humi will not make the wrapper magically reseal itself.

On a side note, do you know what type of smoke you do enjoy the most? i.e. Mild, Med., or Full? Maduro? Natural? etc?

Do some reading, searching, and sampling and enjoy your time!

I have been keeping a list and notes on all that I try. About the only consistancy I can point to so far is Criollo wraps.

The only other conclusion I can come to is that all the Thompson samplers I started with are inferior and I kind of have to start over again with "up level" smokes. Although I cant really be sure of that yet! :(

I guess I have a different take on that: If I can get several different flavors out of a cigar, I consider that complex whether it changes or not. For example if I am smoking a Boli PC, I usually get some coffee, vanilla, wood and nutmeg flavors that carry through the length of the cigar. The dominant taste might change from one of those to the other but those flavors are what I get from start to finish. I don't consider that smoke, or any smoke that does that, one dimensional. I've only encountered two cigars that have changed dramatically on me around the midpoint, an RP Sungrown and several LA Preferido Lanceros. I'm not saying one definition is right (though mine probably is
tongue.gif
laugh.gif
) and the other wrong, just some food for thought.
I think your definition is also correct, while mine contains gross oversimplifications.

Is that a word?

...and your definition is not simplified, it's exactly what you feel is the definition.

----------------

As to why that test gets to OP'r at the end of the smoke, my thouhgt is that it's due to tar. I've had the same experience with some older cigars that had a lot of tar...and it happened early on in the smoke. I simply started to smoke more slowly and the taste subsided.

Gavin said:

Is that a word?

...and your definition is not simplified, it's exactly what you feel is the definition.
According to the dictionary, it is.
Noun 1. oversimplification - an act of excessive simplification; the act of making something seem simpler than it really is.

My thought on 'complex' is one of several definitions that I believe are correct. MoeCizlak's definition works for me as well.