• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie questions - changing taste, draw, ambisol, etc.

I never knew we should sip the cigar like a pipe? maybe i've been puffing way to fast, hmmm......

The only other conclusion I can come to is that all the Thompson samplers I started with are inferior and I kind of have to start over again with "up level" smokes. Although I cant really be sure of that yet! :(

I have come to that very same conclusion. I think I've made my first and last order from Thompson.

I have made the mistake of ordering some cigars from Thompson. Fortunately for me they weren't super expensive. I find my tastes are rapidly progressing toward more expensive smokes. So I am glad I learned (from here) that their quality has tendency to be low. I have since purchased from Best Cigars and Tex's Cigars and their quality, at least so far, has seemed to be higher.

As a newbie also, I quickly learned that I smoke cigars far too quickly. I was taking an hour to smoke Carlos Torano Reserva Selecta Churchills in about an hour. And I thought *that* was slow. When I purposely smoked it slower it took over two hours and it was much more enjoyable. I still do it though, smoke too quickly. When I get a new cigar (most recently the Arturo Fuente Chateu Pyramid) I get pretty exuberant and smoke it too quickly. However good a cigar tastes when smoked quickly, it is much better when smoked slower. So I have found. Right now I am smoking my second Oliva Serie V double robusto and I am taking my time with it.. and I must say its awesome.

I still haven't mastered the through the nose thing. It burns like hell, usually, when I do. But I can see where there is more flavor absorbed when doing so. Practice.. man.. practice.

My appreciation of cigars has advanced pretty quickly and its due almost entirely to the reading and feedback from this site. Its been fun and I look forward to much more :)

David

Hey David

My taste has changed with time also as I have gotten more experienced. I too find myself liking more expensive smokes... particularly aged cigars.

Letting the cigar "rest" between tokes and not flicking the ashes like a cigarett (smoking slower) definitley improves the character of the cigar throughout its length.

Regarding the nose thing... there is a fine line between that kind of "straw sipping" draw and having it back up your nose. Alot of guys on the forum will knock the sipping as but I have found that by using different draw technics, I can enjoy almost any cigar. Some are great sipping all the way, some huffing all the way, and others a combination. After a rest, I will take a sip to get that nice flavor followed emmedietly by a puff and blow and then big draw. Others are nice sipping until half way when the nicotine overpowers the distinct flavors and only good smoke filled draws taste good for the second half. Other cigars taste better reversing that. I have been able to go back to most cigars I wrote off as not liking and enjoy them.

The other thing I have noticed as I progress from newbie is I am tending to move towards stronger smokes. Macanudo 1997's were one of my favorites last year and seem to be bit light and dirty tasting (like a CT wrapper) this year.

Like my quest for the perfect single malt scotch, I have learned that the true pleasure in cigars is the quest... not the perfect find!

Moe usually tastes Reagent Grade Acetone, rather than Anbisol, at the end of his cigar.
But, I do agree with both definitions of "complex" . I tend to snoke a lot of cigars that lean towards Moe's def.
The ones that change dramatically from stage to stage often wind up having one or even two stages that I don't like at all.

Moe usually tastes Reagent Grade Acetone, rather than Anbisol, at the end of his cigar.
But, I do agree with both definitions of "complex" . I tend to snoke a lot of cigars that lean towards Moe's def.
The ones that change dramatically from stage to stage often wind up having one or even two stages that I don't like at all.

I havent quite reached that level of appreciation yet; I think due just to inexperience, but I definitly get it. I am much more versed on single malts and the complexity of multiple falvors is exactly what you come to appreciate after a while. The best prepared dishes are similar; multiple but distinct flavors hitting the palate. :thumbs: