• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie Review - LFD Double Ligero Chiselito

Lupa Namfauk

Please bear with me as this is my first shot at a review. This evening after a nice dinner the wife and I retired to the smoking room to sample a couple LFD Double Ligero Chiselitos. Upon initial inspection of my stick I found the wrapper dark with a slightly oily texture. The wrapper was very smooth with only one prominent vein. Overall the cigar was well constructed, not loosely packed but not as firm as other cigars I have had.

100_3134.jpg

Upon cutting the end, I took a few pre-light draws. The cigar drew easy and it was obvious that this was going to be a fairly robust little stick (5 x 44). The cigar lit easily and the first few draws produced ample smoke, even from the very small opening. Immediate hints of spiciness became apparent. The cigar settled into a nice even burn with no touch ups needed.

100_3139.jpg

About a third of the way through two things became apparent. One was that this was a strong little stick and two the prominent vein may cause an uneven burn rate before all was said and done. The spicy flavor continued and the ash stayed well intact with little or no flaking.

100_3142.jpg

100_3145.jpg

As I entered the second third of the cigar, I went ahead and knocked the ash off. I am confident it would have stayed intact for quite a bit longer, but I am glad I did because it really opened up the cigar and it began producing great quantities of smoke and the spiciness began to give way to what I would describe as an earthy leathery taste that had a bit of bite to it. The shape of the cigar and the small opening in the cap really concentrated the smoke on my palate. After I knocked the ash off I did have to touch it up with a match because the prominent vein was causing a slight run, but nothing that was unacceptable.

100_3146.jpg

Once passed the halfway point the cigar was still burning beautifully, producing what can only be described as ever increasing quantities of robust smoke. Still no hint of harshness or heat was coming through. It was continuing to direct all of it's flavor squarely on my palate. At this stage it was nearing the wrapper and try as I may I could not get it to slide off without damaging the cigar, but it did peal off quite easily with no ripping of the wrapper.

100_3148.jpg

I continued on through the cigar and only within about the last 1.5 inches did I start to feel any heat. But the flavor stayed very nice and I continue it right to the nub before throwing in the towel.

My overall impression of this cigar was very good. I enjoyed it with some nice black coffee that married quite well with this robust smoke. It left me wanting more, but this is a great 30 - 40 minute smoke and I can see a box purchase in my future. I would like to get my hands on a couple of the full size chisels, but I have no complaints about this reasonably priced little smoke.

So now it is done, my first review!

Good job on a fine review. I hope that was a rug and not your dog in the background ;)

Great review, I've been wanting to try one of these and your review has inspired me to pick a few up :thumbs:

Well done!
I like those quite a bit. I've never had one problem with anything from LFD.

Great review. I am surfing the web for a box of these as we speak. Keep it up!

Good review.Got a couple of these in the Humi resting now.Smoked 1 a couple of weeks ago & really enjoyed it.

Awesome review with great pics! Those chisels are some powerhouses, however do have a good flavor. After looking at those pics, I've decided I will pull one out tomorrow afternoon and fire it up.

I also saw three VERY large deer in the field right next to the house this evening. :)

Greg - Usually those deer would be nothing to be concerned about, but if any of them begin developing some large head gear as the summer progresses, proceed with caution. Those ones can become quite dangerous ;) ! I have some experience dealing with dangerous wildlife such as that and I will be glad to help you protect your family from them.

Nice review. The Chisel is a great cigar. However, the Chisel wasn't meant to have it's head chopped off. Instead, get a punch cutter, and punch a hole on the flat surface of the head near the tip. Don't punch all the way through - just punch halfway way down. This way the smoke will be drawn up to your palate as you puff. That's how the Chisel is meant to be smoked. Give that a try, and I'm sure you'll enjoy this cigar even more.

Rod,
Thanks for the tip, I had know idea, but that's why I'm here :D . I'll get a punch and that will be a good excuse to give another one a try.
Thanks,
Paul

Nice review. The Chisel is a great cigar. However, the Chisel wasn't meant to have it's head chopped off. Instead, get a punch cutter, and punch a hole on the flat surface of the head near the tip. Don't punch all the way through - just punch halfway way down. This way the smoke will be drawn up to your palate as you puff. That's how the Chisel is meant to be smoked. Give that a try, and I'm sure you'll enjoy this cigar even more.

First off, great review. You really put the experience into well put words. :D

Secondly, I've smoked many a chisel in my day, just a super cigar, but that is the first time I've ever heard of this method. Sounds very interesting! I'll definitely have to try that after I have a good dinner and feel like another one of these. Thanks for the tip Rod!

I must say Rod is correct. Litto said this is the way it's meant to be smoked.

You want to get really fancy? Instead of having the hole up and drawing on your palate, point it down and draw on your tounge. Someone will be spinninnng in circlesssss! :thumbs:

Thats how we smoked em at Stink's herf, everyone loved em!!! I still have mine sitting, probably going to light it up sometime tonight.

Great review on an outstanding cigar. Thanks for the wonderful pictures. :thumbs:

Nice review and thanks for sharing. It's been awhile since I've had one of these and I must say it was not how I remembered. Before I thought it was too strong but not now. I had the same experience you had. I just wish it was abit more complex in flavors. Seemed pretty 2-dimensional with spice and leather but in a good way. Overall a great cigar for the price.

And thanks for the cutting tip. Had no idea that was how it was suppose to be cut/punch.