• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

NEWBIE REVIEW: The Edge by RP

estoltz

So I have limited experience in the variety of cigars. I started off a long time ago with Swisher sweets (yes yes you can laugh but I was in college and didn't know any better). While on one of my usual trips through the French quarter about 2002 I stopped in what appeared to be a tourist trap smoke shop and asked if they had something nice and mild that would last me a while. I was given an Ashton classic 898. So that is where I began just to give you an idea.

A few weeks ago I was in the local B&M and asked if they had something in equivalent strength but in a lower budget realm. I should have been worried when he recommended the Rocky Patels and had the RP rep standing that hawking them heavy. They were running a deal where you buy 3 and get "THE EDGE" for free. Not even sure of the size. Igot a decade, a 90 and a 92. So I tried the edge last night and to sum it up into one work. HORRIBLE.

Pre-Light: I made the cut using a typical two blade cutter. This is when I noticed the firmness of this thing. This thing was as hard as a rock.

I attempted to light this with a normal soft butane lighter. That was a bit difficult. What the firmness earlier alluded to was truth. The draw on this thing would make a hoover vaccum sweat. I understood why these were being given away.

Taste/Flavor: Harsh. Now I understand that my preferences as indicated above indicate mild tastes but I've had a couple of ISOMs that were full bodied (don't remember the names) and those were nice to the taste buds. This thing reminded me of a 7-11 cigar that had been sitting in the sun for a week.

Overall I would give this a 1 out of 10. Completely unsmokable in my opinion. Maybe I just got a really bad one because I see that there are some good reviews of The Edge Maduro.

Who knows.

The Edge Maduro is a dangerous stick, certainly not for a beginner, but capable of setting even a seasoned smoker back in his chair. I actually like one of those every once in a while. Those things might as well be dipped in nicotine!

I've only had a couple Ashtons and have found the ones I have had to be very mild cigars. I haven't had an Ashton classic 898 but I would expect it to be another very mild cigar.

While I don't consider the edge to be the huge bomb it is advertised as, I do think it is a pretty strong cigar. The B&M owner was out of his mind recommending that to you with what you told him. I smoke an edge every so often and I have a number on hand, they are pretty firm cigars but usually not as firm as you describe. I would take a guess and say they may have been over humidified. That would explain the tight draw and can explain the flavor not being right.

You may enjoy the Decade you picked up. That line is very mild, it's not a huge flavor bomb but it has some very good flavors to it. I prefer stronger more powerful cigars but I smoke milder cigars on occasion to switch things up. I find the decade is one of my preferred mild cigars.

The Edge maddies I have smoked were all torpedo size, a pretty good size smoke. I found it to be more stout than a Camacho Triple Maduro, but I felt the CTM was a much higher quality stick. IMHO

I just picked up some Edge Lanceros. Can't wait to try these puppies out.

Someone recommended The Edge to me when I was about 2 months into cigars. I picked one up--don't recall if it was a corojo or maduro (hadn't learned the distinction yet), nor do I recall the size. The background on the band is a light yellow if that clears anything up.

The biggest impression I had was poor construction requiring lots of regular maintenance. It was pretty "spitty" from the start, but had a very constantly changing flavor that seemed to always return to coffee. I thought that it was at its best for the last third. Overall, the construction and burn issues were the most memorable aspects of it though.

I'll probably check one out again sometime, but I'm in no particular hurry to do so.

I've always enjoyed the Edge line, very full flavored smoke for the Maduro. Coffee / Dark Chocolatey..

If you like Mild smokes, check out the Edge Lite, it's pretty tasty.. Lots of cinnamon.

Oh, and it's always a good idea to age these, they do have burn issues at times when 'fresh'. 6+ months perhaps?

~R

I had 2 edge Maduros in the humi.

Smoked one and man oh man! Now I have one left and it scares me.... ???
I will let it mellow for a while longer.

Now the Edge Sumatra..... Love that