• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie Smokes Padron 1964 Torpedo Madura

Jared Nomack

Vintage Human
I've been reading the reviews here, and to quote Garth, I'm not worthy! I've just been smoking cigars for about a year and have been trying to understand all the differences. Up until tonight my favorite has been A Fuente Hemingway Signature, but I recently placed an order that included some Padrons. They've only been in the humidor for a few days but with SWMBO away, I figured I may as well try one. Wow! Absolutely loved it! I've been taking notes for each cigar I smoke, in my uninformed noob manner, for my own reference, figured I'd just post the notes verbatim as I wrote 'em. FWIW, I may as well try to contribute something.... So:

Padron 1964 Torpedo (not wrapped in cel) Maduro 6x52; Habano wrapper, Nicaraguan

- smoked in the mancave 2/13/21 ar midnight (Pam in Boston, kids asleep); glass of vintage port; really nice! stayed lit perfectly, easy draw, stayed together nicely, smoke literally flowing out of draw end, strong but easy; light peppery chocolatey flavor; ashed itself about 2 inches all over my shirt, had to laugh, ash stayed together i just dumped it into the trash can; slightly stronger in last 1/3; this would go good with turkish coffee; need to order a box

20210214_011327 (2).jpg

Can you believe I’ve never smoked one of those? To me cigars taste like tobacco. Some tobacco is better than others. Haha. My BIL rated his smokes like this. “Hell yeah!” “Fckn A” Or “Nasty”
Nice review and welcome to the group.

Nice review. Have you smoked any of the Padron X000 series? If so, how do you think it compares, personally?

Nice review. Have you smoked any of the Padron X000 series? If so, how do you think it compares, personally?

Thanks. I had not tried any, but saw your note as I was heading over to my local cigar lounge. Seemed like a good place to spend a Valentine's Day afternoon. He had some 3000 Maduros, I smoked on there.

I enjoyed the smoke, but I would say the flavor was not as "rich" as the 64? Not as varied. It had a little more "bitter" taste, maybe more peppery, not sure exactly how to describe it. It seemed to me like a good, basic cigar. Like the 64 it burned perfectly and had a really easy draw, felt a little different in the hand, not quite as "boxy"? I would be happy to smoke another one but I don't think I'd go out of my way to buy one.

Can you believe I’ve never smoked one of those? To me cigars taste like tobacco. Some tobacco is better than others.
....got to say, me too to a very large degree. What I taste with a PAM64 is wonderfully blended tobacco. It's when you 'peel the onion' and try to describe the different tastes in different tobacco that the more subtle undertones come through. A "flavor wheel" can help you organize your thoughts and add some descriptive flavors to your notes.....if it's something you want to refine. This one is pretty good.....

Attachments

• CigarAdvisorTastingWheel.pdf
    540.2 KB · Views: 10
....got to say, me too to a very large degree. What I taste with a PAM64 is wonderfully blended tobacco. It's when you 'peel the onion' and try to describe the different tastes in different tobacco that the more subtle undertones come through. A "flavor wheel" can help you organize your thoughts and add some descriptive flavors to your notes.....if it's something you want to refine. This one is pretty good.....

OMG, it's like the Circle of Fifths on steroids! <images of cruel childhood music teacher flooding back>

Thanks, but I think I'll stick (no fun intended) with yummy, weird and yuck. :]

1. Welcome.
  2. Nice review!
  3. Glad the Padron treated you right!
  4. Don't know if SWIMBO is the name of your cat or dog but sometimes it's best to smoke when the old lady isn't around;)

1. Welcome.
  2. Nice review!
  3. Glad the Padron treated you right!
  4. Don't know if SWIMBO is the name of your cat or dog but sometimes it's best to smoke when the old lady isn't around;)

Thanks!

From the Urban Dictionary:

SWMBO
Acronym for She Who Must Be Obeyed. Term of endearment for one's wife/girlfriend (or resignation to the nature of your relationship).

The term originates from the H. Rider Haggard novel, "She" (first published 1886). The character Ayesha, known as She-who-must-be-obeyed, the Queen of Death, the White Goddess, of the lost city of Kôr who rules her kingdom with terror, She is the very image of the Femme Fatale. To disobey her or to scorn her is to earn & receive instantaneous death.

"I was going to terminate the squirrel I'd trapped, but SWMBO insisted that I release it in a nearby park."

:)
Thanks!

From the Urban Dictionary:

SWMBO
Acronym for She Who Must Be Obeyed. Term of endearment for one's wife/girlfriend (or resignation to the nature of your relationship).

The term originates from the H. Rider Haggard novel, "She" (first published 1886). The character Ayesha, known as She-who-must-be-obeyed, the Queen of Death, the White Goddess, of the lost city of Kôr who rules her kingdom with terror, She is the very image of the Femme Fatale. To disobey her or to scorn her is to earn & receive instantaneous death.

"I was going to terminate the squirrel I'd trapped, but SWMBO insisted that I release it in a nearby park."
Although I must admit that I had to look up SWMBO, I did know what it meant by the time I posted that. Which is why I said it's best to smoke when the old lady isn't around.

Okay, I admit, I have a F'd up sense of humor.:cool:

Remember the old Miller Lite commercials with Bubba Smith and Dick Butkis? They were at a bar/restaurant, looking at themenu and one asked "what is soup doo-jer" and the other one said "I don't know but they have it every day!"