• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie starting out...what to buy?

sok454

Hey everyone!

While I have smoked various cigars over the years if I am looking to build up a solid base of cigars to have on hands what would be some of your go-to's?    

I really like the smoothness of the Mac Hampton Court.   

THank you in advance!

Fuente sungrown rosado magnum r44 or r52. There is a great list of suggested sticks if you search.

Bargain smokes, and value smokes or your favorite stick. Search and you will find great suggestions on these lists that have been compiled here.

Good luck,
C

I second the rosado magnum, also, check out the Oliva G Cameroon. One of my favorite go-to's.

Find a decent local B&M with guys that will talk to you, and listen to their advice.  Try one and two's of their recommendations until you get your stride and find out what you like.  Don't automatically dump a cigar if the first one tastes bad; there are sometimes differences that are significant enough to throw you off.  I normally smoke a 5-er when I'm really trying to decide on a new smoke.

And, without hesitation, take part in the Noobie Sampler Trade.  You'll be getting hand picked sticks from a solid member that won't steer you wrong.  Best deal there is, IMHO.

And, remember to have fun.....

Cheers - B.B.S.

Cool guys.  I just did the noobie trade.  See what response I get!  

Thanks again!

If you don't already know. Cigars for Aficionados is your best B&M here. It's up off of North Grand. Good dudes, decent selection, room to smoke. I spoke at their Cigars for Troops golf outing this year. All good guys.

Welcome from Dallas Texas. Since you like the Oliva G, if you like a full stick try the oliva V or the Master III? Newbie sample is a deal and a half, don't pass that up. Have fun in the process.

My go tos
Padron #1
Fuente Work of Art Maduro
Liga Privada No. 9
Padron 2000
Padron 5000

CMontoya79 said:
Fuente sungrown rosado magnum r44 or r52. There is a great list of suggested sticks if you search.

Bargain smokes, and value smokes or your favorite stick. Search and you will find great suggestions on these lists that have been compiled here.

Good luck,
C
Excellent suggestions. I can't say enough about the Magnum R lines, some excellent smokes that are sure to be crowd pleasers.

kona1000 said:
My go tos
Padron #1
Fuente Work of Art Maduro
Liga Privada No. 9
Padron 2000
Padron 5000
I was going to list at least three of these so I will just quote and say I agree

I'd add to the list

My Father
E.P. Carrillo La Historia
Epic Maduro Reserva

Check out the Hemingway line also. Oldies but goodies.

Brickhouse said:
If you don't already know. Cigars for Aficionados is your best B&M here. It's up off of North Grand. Good dudes, decent selection, room to smoke. I spoke at their Cigars for Troops golf outing this year. All good guys.
Shit dude I just realized you are in Chatham... me too.  You one of the owners of Brickhouse?

I'll second the CFA recommendation. We stopped in there with eight guys as an early kickoff for a bachelor party. There was plenty of comfortable seating and golf on the big screen. There were five or six regulars there and they and the staff made us feel welcome. As Brickhouse said a decent selection, welcoming atmosphere and plenty of room for sitting. My cigar of choice that day was the Series G Churchill, I also picked up one of their custom rolled but its still sitting in the humidor, I'll have to fire it up soon.
Epicures Choice is located in downtown Springfield. I haven't stopped by since moving back to the area. Its a small place but had an extensive selection when last I was there.

Epicures is where I always went as I worked a block away. Now I work in Bloomington and I am 2 doors down from Smokers Choice which was the first smoke shop I ever went to.   

I remember when epicures was the only place that had OpusX back in the 90's.

sok454 said:

Shit dude I just realized you are in Chatham... me too.  You one of the owners of Brickhouse?

Nope, no affiliation to the bar here.  They, like the cigar brand, stole their namesake from me :laugh:

Epicures is where I always went as I worked a block away. Now I work in Bloomington and I am 2 doors down from Smokers Choice which was the first smoke shop I ever went to.   

I remember when epicures was the only place that had OpusX back in the 90's.
I spent a lot of time there in the mid to late 90's. I would go in there two or three times a week to get my two cigar per vitola limit when those Opus shipments came in.

I remember smoking my Opus in my parents driveway.... drinking some crappy scotch....  it was cool out so I was in my car....    when I got ready to go in I could barely stand from the cigar strength.....