• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

newbie with a question about Grenada

hornetguy

hey all!
I'm new here.. first time. I'm relatively new to cigars.. was introduced to them by a couple of buddies about a year ago or so.
I've learned a little about them through reading and smoking, but don't consider myself any more than an enthusiastic beginner, yet. I still don't quite hear the "notes" when smoking.... :rolleyes:

I have a question.. I'm headed to the island of Grenada, just north of South America on Saturday, for a week. We'll be laying over in San Juan P.R. for a couple of hours both on the trip down, and back.
I'd like to know if anyone knows of a good place to look for central Am cigars when there. I am particular to Dominicans, but Hondurans and many others are good, also.
I wouldn't mind finding a Cuban or two to smoke while there, but I don't know if I can afford very many of those.
any experiences or ideas would be welcomed.. thanks.

hornetguy said:
hey all!
I'm new here.. first time. I'm relatively new to cigars.. was introduced to them by a couple of buddies about a year ago or so.
I've learned a little about them through reading and smoking, but don't consider myself any more than an enthusiastic beginner, yet. I still don't quite hear the "notes" when smoking.... :rolleyes:

I have a question.. I'm headed to the island of Grenada, just north of South America on Saturday, for a week. We'll be laying over in San Juan P.R. for a couple of hours both on the trip down, and back.
I'd like to know if anyone knows of a good place to look for central Am cigars when there. I am particular to Dominicans, but Hondurans and many others are good, also.
I wouldn't mind finding a Cuban or two to smoke while there, but I don't know if I can afford very many of those.
[snapback]201545[/snapback]​
you won't find any isom's on puerto rico...

hornetguy said:
hey all!

[snapback]201545[/snapback]​

I would not chance buying any Cubans....there's about a 95% chance on a good day that whatever someone offers you is fake.

As far as the other cigars, I don't believe you will find them any cheaper than you can if you look around online here in the US.

Your best bet would be to find someone rolling them on a street corner or just try what the locals smoke. Scratch that. That's your second best bet. Your best bet is to bring your own.

I hope everything is okay with your trip to Grenada. I think Hurricane Emily just went through there this week but I haven't heard about any damage.

I'd say to bring your own also, at least you know what you have then.

Sorry, I can't help. The last time I was in Grenada was with the 82nd Airborne in 1983. :laugh:

I hope your trip goes well, tho. The weather is playing havoc there right now.

yes, I heard that the hurricane knocked out some of the electricity, but they expected to have it back on by this morning.

I was just thinking that I might find some good prices on some of the south-central american cigars there. Sort of getting them at the source, and eliminating the middle-man. Ok, I'm cheap.

I also wouldn't mind trying some Cubans, if available, but it's not a real high priority with me. I like a good tasting smoke, no matter where it's from. I'm not much of a stogie-snob. Once a redneck, always a redneck, I guess. :D

hornetguy said:
I also wouldn't mind trying some Cubans, if available, but it's not a real high priority with me.
[snapback]201822[/snapback]​

I think stevehawk took care of the Cubans back in '83. :D

Russell

well, I guess I'll just have to research it myself. It's a tough job, but I'm willing...
I'll report when I return next week.

hydro-terp said:
hornetguy said:
I also wouldn't mind trying some Cubans, if available, but it's not a real high priority with me.
[snapback]201822[/snapback]​

I think stevehawk took care of the Cubans back in '83. :D

Russell
[snapback]201920[/snapback]​

LOL

I hadn't thought of that, but you are definitely right! Took us all of about 5 days! :laugh:

In San Juan, next to the cruise port, there is a little shop with guys rolling cigars. I think they sell them for 1-2 bucks a piece. They're worth a try. You can also buy local-rolled from numerous street vendors.

JK