• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbies Take: Work of Art Maduro

SamGuss

A new friend of mine recently sent me a few real quality and rare smokes. A couple of which have already been reviewed here. The latest one I had was the A. Fuente Hemingway Work of Art Maduro.

Setting:

Lounging on the media room couch, listening to some new music another friend had sent me, reading the latest copy of small business opportunities (I've read this rag mag off and on for years - I've yet to get a good idea out of the SOB - but hey I have hope!), glancing through the last couple of months in the Cigar Dossier (diary).

Pre-Light:

The one thing I will give the WoA Maduro kudos for is this: it's the best pre-light smoke I have ever smelled! Rich tobacco, hints of coffee, in a torpedo shaped dark wrapper it was a beauty to behold. I was in awe somewhat as I have been told how rare this particular cigar is and the price some are willing to pay for it.

Smoke and taste:

This was as I have found many in the Hemingway line - complex... the first third of the cigar was heavily influenced with tastes of ground coffee and roasted hazzelnuts. Through the middle of the cigar it matured into stong flavorful coffee and cocoa, the entire time the associated what I can only call "maduro taste" seeping in for the aftertaste. The finish intensified even more into a strong leather and spice taste with hints of pepper. Lots of smoke, great aroma, snowy ash.

Rating from 1 - 100:

90 :love:

On a side note, since I have had also one WoA Natural, to compare the two... my first instinct is to go with the Natural over the Maduro (yes I know a startling move, especially considering that I love Maduros!), however, considering the rarity of the WoA Maduro, whenever available I would go with these over the Naturals - if for no other reason than since the Naturals are more available (not by much from what I have seen though LOL) and a tad less costly I would be able to get these more often than the Maduro's.

Til later -

Sam

I've seen a lot more maduros than naturals lately. But, I still prefer the maduro in the whole Hemingway line.

The only other cigar in the Hemingway line that I have had both Natural and Maduro in is the Signatures. Now with those I would take the Maduro's any day of the week over. Mind you, when it comes to the Work of Art I have only had one of each and not even close to each other in time, so who knows what the future holds ;)

Still a 90 is a damn good cigar and not likely to be turned down or away from - but in my ideal humidor setup the way I am right now I would have about twice as many Naturals as I do Maduro's ;) mind you at 100 for the Nats, 50 maduros won't be easy to come by! (yes folks I live in a dream world sometimes)

Sam :sign:

Sam,
another fine review. And on a cigar I've been dreaming about lately. The Hemi's, I think, are definately high on my to hit list. As soon as I get my Excalibur 1066 fixes taken care of, I'm moving on to more current literature!

Question: If, ultimately, you were looking at one of each of the Hemi's in both Natural and Maduro, which way would you go for each type you've tried?

Anyone else have a reply to that last question?

Great review Sam :) I'm making a point of finding some of these fabled Hemi Maddies this holiday season. I gots to have me some! :D

lucasbuck said:
Great review Sam :) I'm making a point of finding some of these fabled Hemi Maddies this holiday season. I gots to have me some! :D
:thumbs:

Excellant review. I have been smoking for more than three years and still can breakout the different flavors of cocoa, hazelnut, etc. But I truly like what I like, and it would seem to me A. Fuente can't make a bad cigar.

With my mouth watering and my leg shaking I say thumbs up on your review. I will have to find me a WoA for myself, Maddie, of course.

m3

Great review Sam, sounds like a really nice smoke. I can't find the maddies near me, but I do love the naturals. Trade for maddies anyone?

Captain B said:
Great review Sam, sounds like a really nice smoke. I can't find the maddies near me, but I do love the naturals. Trade for maddies anyone?
I'll bve getting some in in a month or two, can't guarantee anything but a box split or two could be in the ;) works!

Lumberg said:
I'll be getting some in in a month or two, can't guarantee anything but a box split or two could be in the ;) works!
I'm definately interested if you come accross these :D :D :D

Nice review. Though I don't understand the attraction to these. I find them to be one dimensional and not that strong! To me ---- just a medicore AF offering.

I guess that's just me.

:(

you actually had one?!!
man! i'd sell my mother into slavery for one of those babies.
can we do the vulcan mind meld thingy?
i want to experience it before i die. :p

todd