• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

NHL, 2011-12 season

Congrats to the Kings!

Fun game to watch last night. Yotes need some kudos for their season. Who saw the Mike Smith revival tour coming?

I was on the ice at the time the Kings won so I didn't see it but I heard it over the loudspeakers at the rink. Since there was a delay on our radio feed and what the people in the bar upstairs were watching a guy rushed out of the bar and yelled out as the radio feed caught up.

I'm gonna be on pins and needles in the next round!

I'll be rootn' for the Kings, since their minor league affilliate plays just down the road a piece. 11 of those guys are former Monarchs. Besides NJ sucks. Smells like tomato soup and kerosene.

Doc

I wouldn't know, never been down there with the snipes, but I was stationed in Philly.

Doc.

The rangers are still in it, let's don't send NJ to the final just yet.

I'll be rootn' for the Kings, since their minor league affilliate plays just down the road a piece. 11 of those guys are former Monarchs....
Doc

I'm right there with you. It's cool to see some of the guys we have seen here in Manchester. I just need NJ to beat the Rangers so I can win some smokes...

There's reports that Darryl Sutter is being talked about to be the new head coach. If that happens that may be the final straw of my sanity. I've been a big supporter of Dean Lombardi but firing Terry Murray (who's time had obviously come) and replacing him with Sutter (who seems to be a rather mediocre coach and suspect GM) is quite a head scratcher.

It would be an interesting choice. Sutter has not coached in the league for five years. Lots has changed. In his twelve years coaching he only missed the playoffs twice, but got bounced in the first round six times. UGH! Lombardi is putting all his eggs in that basket? If it doesn't work out, he'll be the next to go, IMO.
Yeah, I don't get why Sutter is so high on his list (other than them working together in SJ). Rumors are if this team doesn't turn it around in a big way Lombardi will be shown the door at season's end. I'm not a fan of that but I understand why.

There are much better options out there. Hell, Randy Carlyle is starting him right in the face. I'm sure there are plenty more names out there that would be more suitable. Would love to have Dave Tippett back, but who knows what's gonna happen to Phoenix.

...and there you have it.

I might out on a limb here, but Lombardi and Sutter's jobs are pretty secure next year. :laugh:

Congrats to the Kings! Brilliant playoffs!
Congrats to Jon Quick. Things look good for Team USA in the net (and in general) for the Sochi games.

Congrats to the Champion LA Kings!!!! The best 1st period of my life!

Yeah, I'm happily eating crow about Sutter. Tastes delicious.

What an absolutely awesome and emotionally draining season. Lots of highs and lows and ending with the greatest highs of all. Los Angeles Kings, 2012 Stanley Cup champions!

Tastes delicious.

I like my crow with a red wine reduction sauce. :laugh:

Pretty sure we were both on the "WTF are they thinking" page when he got hired. Cant get them right all the time.

At the beginning of the year, could you have ever guessed this would be the seasons outcome?

Did you go down for any of the celebration? If yes, how was it?

Honestly, at the beginning of the season my expectations for the team were to win the division and at least win a round in the playoffs. There were some dark moments along the way for sure. They already had an impressive roster and were solid in goal and defensively, but the offense was MIA. Looking back, it was the hiring of Sutter and the trade for Carter that kick started everything. Even then it was no lock as they lost the last couple games of the season and dropped from division champs and the 3rd seed down to the 8th.

That series against Vancouver, I said it at the time, if the Kings can jel as a team and play to their capabilities, they have a chance. Wasn't even thinking about the cup, just thinking about making it to round 2. Well, we all know how that went.

The past two seasons I've grown a playoff beard. This season, unsure of what to expect facing the Canucks, I decided not to. I have let my chin beard grown however and it's about 2.5 inches long right now. I'll trim it up tonight.

As for partying, my buddies and I went to downtown on Wednesday night for game 4. It was fun but not as fun as it should have been. With work and logistics it would've been approx 6:30-7ish by the time I could get to downtown again, for a game that starts at 5pm. By that time I'm sure every bar and restaurant within 3-4 miles of Staples Center was already beyond capacity.

Monday night was spent watching the game with a few friends at an apartment. We had drinks and then moved on to a local dive bar after the game. I remember buying lots of Jamesons and bloody marys. Woke up sometime around 5:30am freezing. No memory of how I got back to the apt. Made my way home, called in sick to work, and passed out!

You know you're getting old when your hangovers start lasting multiple days.