• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Nibo Lighter For Space Travel?

MJL

So, in one of those contemplative moments with a large cigar, sitting by myself in the darkness outside I have, as many, contemplated my lighter and how magnificent it is. Holding the cheap Nibo lighter in my hand I am always reminded of how the bundle of little blue flames reminds me of the main engines going off on the Space Shuttle...only much smaller. So my question is this. Armed with one of these lighters, in an atmosphere-less environment like space could you generate enough thrust from a Nibo butane lighter to make an object of small mass, like a human, to move? Assuming a lack of inertia and gravity one has to wonder what velocity one could attain with a full burn of the lighter? I am not suggesting you could attain the 17,000 miles per hour that the Space Shuttle flies at. I am just curious if what one could do with a Nibo lighter and a mass of say 200 pounds in outer space. Obviously, life sustaining devices would have to be left behind so this would be a one way trip for sure.

I am not sure but I don't think that the lighter will ignite. As there is no oxygen you would not get a burn and the only thing is that gas would come out. Now do question is, does the momentum of the gas coming sufficient enough to move, let us say, 2200 lbs. Plus or minus that would be about 100 kg. So can the momentum of the gas coming out move 100 kg? (Assuming no farting by the individual to help out). :cool:

In the hypothetical situation described, ignition wouldn't happen. However, let's just say you did this inside the cargo bay of the shuttle with an oxygen environment.
I think you would be able to have enough thrust to move. Not fast, but as long as you had the torch going you should accelerate (no friction to hold you back).
If I remember correctly the first thrusters used for spacewalks were little more than aerosol cans, with very little thrust.

In the hypothetical situation described, ignition wouldn't happen. However, let's just say you did this inside the cargo bay of the shuttle with an oxygen environment.
I think you would be able to have enough thrust to move. Not fast, but as long as you had the torch going you should accelerate (no friction to hold you back).
If I remember correctly the first thrusters used for spacewalks were little more than aerosol cans, with very little thrust.

Not be be disrespectful to gandolf, I would have to disagree with him. Assuming what he said about the cargo bay of the shuttle with an oxygen environment, I think once you ignited your lighter in the oxygen environment the whole DAMM SHUTTLE WOULD BLOW UP!!!!! But I may be wrong.. :cool:

Ummm, I guess I should have said an oxygen bearing environment. Everyone knows that they stopped using 100% oxygen after the Apollo 1 disaster.

Ummm, I guess I should have said an oxygen bearing environment. Everyone knows that they stopped using 100% oxygen after the Apollo 1 disaster.

I know that you did not mean pure oxygen, I was just being a smart ass and I apologize for it!! I just couldn't resist it!! :blush:

So the butane does not contain enough oxygen to ignite? Wouldn't the movement of the butane propelling out, under pressure, be able to provide some propulsion? Do you really need combustion of the butane.

... Wouldn't the movement of the butane propelling out, under pressure, be able to provide some propulsion? Do you really need combustion of the butane.

Theoretically, yes. I would think that it would provide thrust similar to that produced by the compressed air in the aerosol cans that Gandolf mentioned, presuming it was compressed air.

Theoretically, yes. I would think that it would provide thrust similar to that produced by the compressed air in the aerosol cans that Gandolf mentioned, presuming it was compressed air.

I looked it up, the early ones used compressed nitrogen. I was unable to find out how much thrust they would develop.