• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Nica Libre 1990

w00ts!te

Go GREEN! Go WHITE!
I recently came across an interesting deal between the pages of my CI monthly catalog of a cigar called the Nice Libre 1990. They try to compare the cigar to a Padron Anniversary Serie which I find far fetched due to the unique taste found in a Padron. Have any of you tried this cigar? Would it be a cheap but reputable replacement when I don't feel like shelling out the $16 for a stick?

Thanks.

My neighbor gave me one of these this afternoon. It was 4.5" and boxed pressed (looked up ring gauge to be 46). I haven't had the Padron that it's compare to, but it was a good cigar. I wrote the following review in my journal:

"Boxed press, dark shiny wrapper; somewhat loose draw. Earthy, hints of barnyard hay. Smooth smoke."

I looked them up online to get more info (that's how I found this thread). I was surprised to find them for about $50 for a box of 20. At that price I would buy a box and smoke them with friends.

I had one that I got in a sampler pack from CI. I could hardly make it past the half way point on this smoke. I just could not stand the flavor profile of this smoke. Its really too bad cause the price point is great.

I smoked one of the Principes a couple weeks ago. Comparable? Maybe... there were definitely some subtle similarities. The construction was, without a doubt, top notch. I wouldn't smoke these in place of the Padron 64 and 26, but that's simply because I don't really smoke enough to stock everyday smokes. They'd be good if you were doing some yard work, or some other activity that required most of your attention, yet you still wanted a smoke that you would not be upset about dropping or having to put down. Like buffalo suggested, they'd be great to keep a box on hand to hand out to non-smoking friends who want to join you in a smoke.

I recall searching about the information on the Nica Libres a few weeks back after seeing them in CI's current catalog where they compared it to a Padron.

The various threads and opinions on the Internet seemed to be mixed--some loved them as much as Padrons (and in some cases, more!), while others found them atrocious.

I'll probably buy a fiver off CBid soon and I'll make sure to write a review.

I recall searching about the information on the Nica Libres a few weeks back after seeing them in CI's current catalog where they compared it to a Padron.

The various threads and opinions on the Internet seemed to be mixed--some loved them as much as Padrons (and in some cases, more!), while others found them atrocious.

I'll probably buy a fiver off CBid soon and I'll make sure to write a review.

Tasted the Nica Libre Thursday night. Perhaps a designer imposter Padron X000 series; definitely not the real thing but it did have similarities. I found it milder, sweeter, and creamier than Padron, think they might make a great morning cigar..

I got a box of these and found them pretty decent. I agree they do not compare to the 1926/1964 lines at all, but on their own they are pretty good. I'll be buying another box soon to let rest for a while and see how it goes.

CI loves to make their own cigars and then compare them to the quality stuff out there. When they came out with Man O' War not too long ago, CI's propaganda hailed it as an "Opus Killer". I ordered a fiver, let it sit for a few months and then gave it a shot. It wasn't a terrible cigar, but the flavor profile was nothing like an Opus X.

I'd wait a few months, get a good deal on a fiver of the Nica Libre's from CBid and then give them a shot. A lot of the reviews noticing similarities between these and the 1964s may be power of suggestion, I suppose you can't know for sure until you give them a try. Given CI's track record with claims like this, however, I remain skeptical.

Or get a box of 2000s or 5000s and set them down for a year or so. That's what I do. :love:

Wow, I just noticed this was a thread bump... Luke, what'd you wind up deciding/doing about these?

I like the Nica Libre better than the x000 line of Padron. But, there is no way it is better than the '26's or the 64's

I like the Nica Libre better than the x000 line of Padron. But, there is no way it is better than the '26's or the 64's

Similarly, I found the Nica Libre to be a decent smoke that's maybe on par with a padron x000. But, does anything really compare to an anniversary padron? Those have a pretty unique flavor profile.

Similarly, I found the Nica Libre to be a decent smoke that's maybe on par with a padron x000. But, does anything really compare to an anniversary padron? Those have a pretty unique flavor profile.
How do the Nica Libra prices compare to the $4 Padron 2000s?

I personally would pick the Padron. I just like the taste of those better for some reason. Though I'd say the construction was possibly a little better on the Nica Libre. That said, I've had numerous Padron 2000's and only 2 Nica Libre's.

Can get them for 2-3 bucks but why. The Padron 2000s IMO is a far better stick.

I am extremely wary of any claims made by CI, FS or JR about the similarity of their cigars to the marquee brands out there. While they may blend their house brands to emulate the big boys out there, in my experience, limited as it is, thier claims tend be be overly grandiose and end the end, don't live up to their own hype.

I will take the Nica over a x000 any day.

CI loves to make their own cigars and then compare them to the quality stuff out there. When they came out with Man O' War not too long ago, CI's propaganda hailed it as an "Opus Killer". I ordered a fiver, let it sit for a few months and then gave it a shot. It wasn't a terrible cigar, but the flavor profile was nothing like an Opus X.

While I've never had an Opus X myself, I found the Man O' War to be just an okay cigar. The flavor profile was nice, but it was rather spotty with construction and keeping an even burn, which is something I've found to be characteristic with a lot of these types of cigars. I'm sort of expecting the Nica Libre to be the same.

To all those who prefer the Nica Libre over the Padron Classic cigars--how do they smoke? All the Padron 2000s I've had have been flawless in producing an even burn and a consistent ash.

To all those who prefer the Nica Libre over the Padron Classic cigars--how do they smoke? All the Padron 2000s I've had have been flawless in producing an even burn and a consistent ash.

I didn't prefer it, but the construction on the one Nica I had was incredible. No soft spots, no tunneling, and it held a nice long ash for most of the duration of the smoke. I was truly surprised the construction was as flawless as it was, considering the way many of these low-cost "alternatives" usually turn out.

I get back from vacation and people are still talking about this June posted thread. :laugh:

Something else to add to the conversation. I remember I purchased a bundle from CI of these and I lit it up to find the cigar horrible. I cut the cigar, let it sit a bit and tried again. When I went to light it, I noticed a single green filler leaf. I laughed and tossed the cigar. I don't think anything compares to a Padron after that experience.