• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Nick's first opus

nick

hey folks, just got in off the porch after my first opus x..It was the robusto size, i am not sure if they have any fancy name for that, but it's beside the point.

first i have to say that it had a nice appearance, and looked well rolled. it started off smooth but with little flavor, and flowed into a nice light smoke, never any serious flavor, and although it had some kick, it only was noticable after the fact.

as these are an issue of debate for some, i chose to attempt the smoke with an open mind and have come to the conclusion that this particular opus is not something i would purchase or go out of my way to smoke unless i could give it a couple years rest. of course this is just one try out of a whole line of cigars, which i will continue to sample as passes and trades make them available. i did take one out of father t's pass yesterday and have it resting, probably for a while before i make another attempt at the opus mystique..

oh, and thanks very much to The Beast who did the legwork on getting this cigar and trading some smokes with me, he sent a very nice box, and underplayed what i would find there which was some trully great smokes. thank ya beast

Nice little review Nick, I agree on the Opus. I like them, but wouldn't go out of my way for them like I would a.... DC#2 or Bolivar :p

I do see what people do like about them, and am actually kind of surprised I don't really care for them, but oh well ???

Cool! That's one Opus I haven't tried. I love the xXx though.

Hey, Nick. Try the petite lancero. I find them to be very tasty little smokes. They afford a little kick, also.

There have been recent threads at CF about the quality of Opus X... burn problems and questions about construction have been raised. I have smoked "young" Opus and found that sadly, the burn and construction have been issues.

I've found that aged Opus X is a totally different smoke from new ones... and it also helps to smoke these at a lower RH... around 65% is best IMHO. For my tastes... Opus smoked at 70% RH can be on the bland side and the spice and full flavors are muted. A drier and aged Opus can be a wonderful smoke... full of spice, strength and tons of flavor!

I've had some great Opus cigars and some that weren't up to par but as with any cigar it's a handmade product that is subject to this. But.... I can say that when aged a bit and at a lower RH I've found them to be very good! My favorites are the xXx, No. 5 and the Petit Lancero.

Nick, bury an Opus in your 'dor for a another year and dry it out before smoking it.... I think you'll be in for a totally different smoking experience.

Aloha,

Wade

thank ya wade, i have another from father t's pass i will drop in a mason jar and put'er deep in the back yard for awhile and see, like you said that was a young one from my understanding, so we'll give it a shot, but i still don't think you'll see me bidding on a box of em anytime soon, now some boli pc's.................... :D

thanks bro

I was just fishing around one of the humi's and found a opus robusto sitting in there all wrapped up in cedar. I have no clue how long it's been sitting in there, so I'll give it another shot. Maybe it's been hanging out among the other guys long enough to give up some of that flavor Wade and Nick'v been talkin aboot.

Hey Tone...that sounds like the Perfection X...not the Robusto. :)

Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up for me Beasty, I wasn't too sure what I had sitting there

:D