• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Nicotine sickness is awful!

Connor

So, tonight, I accidentally smoked a Padron 2000 Natural without realizing my stomach was empty, sure is fun having it hit you like a ton of bricks while you're on a walk up the street from your house. I could have sworn there was still pizza on my stomach... I'm all better now, but that was a hard lesson to learn.

From what I've read here, it apparently doesn't have so much to do with how full your stomach is, but more so with your blood sugar level.

I could have sworn there was still pizza on my stomach... I'm all better now, but that was a hard lesson to learn.

Pokey-sticks with pizza? that's a new one ???

I thought you were still in recovery? There is a few threads floating around that could have helped (Post Link...) I too have fallen victim to nicotine though, fresh Opus X :(

edit* Glad you are feeling better. From what I recall, it isn't a pleasant experience.

As you learn, you'll be better able to make your cigar choice decisions in relationship to your planned activities. Glad you're feeling better. One of the less desireable lessons to learn, huh? :0 So many good experiences to come. Get back on the horse, you'll be fine. :thumbs:

It's happened to all of us at one time or another. Next time you feel it coming on, grab a packet of sugar and let it dissolve under your tongue. Sounds weird, but it gets the sugar into your bloodstream quickly, and stops it from getting any worse.

I have been lucky, have not actually gotten sick yet. Had a few times where I felt like there was a huge frog in my throat though. Had an Opus X Power Ranger on an empty stomach one time that felt like it was going to kick my ass, but started downing Mountain Dews and the feeling went away, so obviously there is something about sugar. Recently I was on vacation in Destin and stopped by Harbor Cigars (great shop) and asked them for a strong cigar with great flavor for my Father In Law, Brother In Law, and myself to enjoy on our last night. They hooked me up with the Anejo #46. Now, my Father In Law and Brother In Law are two people who like to act like nothing effects them. I warned them about it taking grown men down, but you could see it before we smoked it that they weren't going to let a cigar get to them. Neither of them made it past the halfway point. I managed to finish it, and although I did not get sick, I soon realized after trying to stand up that I was much more comfortable in the chair. Hung out in that hard wooden chair for about 30 minutes, all alone, actually scared to get up. What a great cigar by the way and if you have never had one definitely try it. Is it just me, or have those that have had one noticed that the pre light draw tastes like pumpkin pie?

I could have sworn there was still pizza on my stomach... I'm all better now, but that was a hard lesson to learn.

I thought you were still in recovery? ...

BUSTED! :p :0 :laugh:

Oops. The stitches in my gums dissolved a long time ago and I can freely brush my gums just fine, on September 1st I'll be able to chew again, I'm pretty much recovered at this point (even though I'm not supposed to smoke yet, this was my first cigar since my surgery). The story is, I was walking around my neighborhood/my old neighborhood (walk through someone's backyard and the two are connected) just thinking about life in general, starting college, all that stuff. I had read the nicotine sickness thread previously linked and about the sugar thing and whatnot. I was walking back to my house when it hit me, I had to immediately sit down because I felt so dizzy. When I got home I immediately drank a gatorade and a powerade, remembering what I read about sugar and nicotine sickness. I took a shower, still feeling horrendous. I had two bites of pizza and that made me feel much, much better. I'm going to intake sugar and have some food before I smoke a cigar again lol.

One of my "comfort cigars" is the Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Petit Belicoso (box pressed torp). I've lost count of how many of these I've smoked. Never have I had a problem whatsoever with this cigar until yesterday. I sat down on the balcony for my post-gym book time smoke like I try to do every day. I had water and a standby or root beer, like always. I don't know what is different, but yesterday it just kicked my arse. I could feel it by halfway, and when I was close enough to consider tossing it, I REALLY almost tossed it... my cookies, that is. Now I'm a bit scared to light one of these up again. The root beer and a small box of Nerds from my kid's Lunchable cured it, but I don't want to deal with that every time I smoke one.

LOL, I remember when I just got in to cigars. A few months in I had an "entertaining" evening out and the next day felt like food poisoning. Not sure if it was more the gin then the cigar but I am sure it was due to the combo of a more potent smoke, 100 degree plus weather, lack of quality food and of course gin. Took me a few days to even want to look in to my humi. Since then I joined the others in making my physical well being part of my selection process for today's sticks.

I first felt nicotine sickness when I went with my friends to a hookah lounge. I started off fine, though i would get dizzy spells every now and then. They would always pass, until about an hour in. I felt really warm and slightly nautious, and decided to step outside to get some air. Didn't help, started feeling terribly ill. Sat in my car for a good half hour trying to relax while waiting for my friends to finish up. after about an hour it went away nearly completely.

The next time i felt it was very slightly with my second cigar, an Acid Blondie (The first cigar I had was the Blondie as well). After taking my first step into the cigar world with it, I decided to buy two more for me and my girlfriend to try. I've smoked two blondies and two kuba kubas, and It never hit me really hard with acid cigars, but I still would occasionally feel dizzy. I haven't really smoked too many cigars so far, probably about 8 or 9 total, so I'm still a noob.

The odd thing is, excluding the Acids, EVERY cigar I've smoked has given me mild to medium sickness, to the point where I can usually only smoke a portion of them at a time. It fades in a good half hour/hour afterwards, but I'm really perplexed as to why its been hitting me EVERY time. It hits harder depending on the wrapper (Tried a maduro, knocked me into a world of uncomfortability). I'm feeling like its more a psychological thing, because the first time it REALLY hit me was pretty rough. Never threw up, but I felt damn close. I'm thinking that that first sickness kind of left an impression on my mind.

I got into cigars because I love the culture, and as much as I want to enjoy smoking, the sickness is holding that back. Even still, I love going to cigar bars and just being around so many cigars. The smell of an unburned cigar, the construction, the total beauty of these objects really sends my mind into a whirl of pleasant feelings. I just feel like I'm seriously missing out because of my inadequate tolerance =/

Caveman, have you tried having a full meal before smoking something and then maybe considering a sugary drink to hve while smoking your cigar? That may curb the feelings of sickness.

No nicotine sickness tonight, I suppose my milkshake and ton of food had something to do with that lol.

Caveman, take Souldog's advice. Also, quit smoking flavored cigars. That will help alleviate the nauseated feeling you're having. And go post an introduction in the proper forum and tell us a little about yourself.

Also, depending on what kind of charcoal the hookah lounge uses, that may add to the nausea. I'll be careful next time the hookah is burning those cheap hockey puck-like coals. Those things suck. However, real high quality charcoal makes a difference.

Also, as far as the cigars you mentioned goes, 1) make sure you're not inhaling the smoke. That would definitely make you turn green. 2) You might be rushing it. If you puff on a cigar like your life depended on it, chances are you're smoking it way too quickly and it'll make you turn green. Pace yourself and smoke better cigars.

Oh, and post a proper introduction in the intro forum.

From my understanding (and this may have already been said) falling victim to Nic. Sickness has everything to do with your blood sugar levels. Now, this can be confused with an empty stomach because most of the time when you have nothing in your stomach, you have a fairly low blood sugar level. Whenever I start to feel the effects of the nicotine to much, I get a glass of something sugary. Coke, sweet tea, anything with sugar in it and it always helps.

From my understanding (and this may have already been said) falling victim to Nic. Sickness has everything to do with your blood sugar levels. Now, this can be confused with an empty stomach because most of the time when you have nothing in your stomach, you have a fairly low blood sugar level. Whenever I start to feel the effects of the nicotine to much, I get a glass of something sugary. Coke, sweet tea, anything with sugar in it and it always helps.

???
reading_rainbow.jpg

edit* See post #2 in thread..

???
reading_rainbow.jpg

edit* See post #2 in thread..

Maybe I was a little over zealous in my posting. Read the first post and thought, "Oh I know something about this!" But I did offer something more than what was said in the 2nd post.

Noob mistake. Wont happen again!!

It sure isn't fun at alll. I'm glad you're feeling better though.

Opus X got me awhile ago, and the last time it happened it was NUB lol. Don't let those little things fool ya.