• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Nitro-nize your tires? ever done it?

Smitty

Anyone ever thought about or have done the Nitro-nizing where they fill your tires with Nitrogen like nascar?

you can get %3 or 5% nitro fill and its suppose to add to the life of tire, the mpg and the holding the pressure right longer.

Any thoughts?

I would like to know someone that has , and can couch for the service and a cost if possible.

Just curious :)

Well, considering that air is 78% nitrogen, 3-5% ain't so good. ;)

I think they must use 100% nitrogen fill. And I've heard that it does do those things claimed.

Wilkey

It (N2) was "no extra cost" when I recently replaced the tires on my Jetta. National chain tire store ("America's Tire").

Regards - B.B.S.

Anyone ever thought about or have done the Nitro-nizing where they fill your tires with Nitrogen like nascar?

you can get %3 or 5% nitro fill and its suppose to add to the life of tire, the mpg and the holding the pressure right longer.

Any thoughts?

I would like to know someone that has , and can couch for the service and a cost if possible.

Just curious :)

Nah, never even crossed my mind. I'm good just to keep the wiper fluid full. :D

Just "re-tired" and my local dealer filled mine with nitrogen at no extra charge giving the same reasons as listed earlier. Got almost 60k out of the last set that were rated at 50k, so I guess I'll wait and see.

I replaced my tires at Costco a few months back, and as part of the service, they used Nitrogen to to inflate the tires.

If the tire dealer does it free that's cool, but the overall benefits versus costs don't justify it. I know racers and the airline industry use it, but they have a specialized reason to do so. Just make sure to regularly check your tires and you'll be fine.

I believe it's 100% nitrogen. Do it only if you have new tires. When I get new tires for my Mustang, I'm having them filled with Nigrogen this time. Improves gas mileage and the life of the tire. You never have to fill 'em up again or check the pressure.

When I get new tires for my Mustang, I'm having them filled with Nigrogen this time.

Rod, you have a Mustang? Hmmm... never would have guessed that one. :D

Would a little nitro help pro-long the life of one of my Opus or '26's?

I wonder if the percentage is the amount of moisture in the nitrogen.

I'm not sure I buy the nitrogen not leaking out thing, nitrogen has lower molecular number than oxygen, and therefore should be less dense than just plain air.

The only advantage I can see is that you might have slightly less moisture in the tire, possibly making them "grow" less when they are warm.

This one puzzled me, so I Googled to find out more. The hits are dominated by vendors selling the fill systems to your tire store. The first really balanced article I found was this Popular Mechanics piece. The only real advantage is that you will lose air at a much lower rate. All of the vendors argue that there will be reduced oxydation and better heat dissipation with nitrogen. Preservation would be negligible and pointless (especially for hot Mustangs) because rubber will disappear to the pavement gods much more quickly than the tire will fail for oxydation. As for heat conduction, maybe. I didn't do so well with thermodynamics, so I didn't do the math. However, I'm guessing that 100% nitrogen will only result in a fraction of a percent in difference. All of the other stated gains are a function of maintaining tire inflation. Unintended side effects are that you DON'T get the oil, moisture, and debris you'd normally get from a compressed air. For a race car, even a fraction of a point of increase in performance without weight gain is priceless. For your personal ride, I don't think its worth it.

edit: critical omission bolded

Anyone that I've ever talked to who is really into cars said it's not worth the money if you have to pay extra. Really unless you have a race car don't waste your money.