• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

No time for cigars

SBellew

I am finding that I have very little time to step outside and fire up a cigar. When I do, its for 5-10 minutes and then it sits and I have to relight it and am not finding relights as enjoyable as the original.

Is the relight on a pipe still enjoyable or does it get stale tasting after it goes out?

Do you get enjoyment from a pipe if you just get to puff on it for 5-10 minutes at a time instead of getting to smoke the entire bowl?

Keep in mind with a pipe, you dont even have to pack an entire bowl to smoke, you can regulate your time by the amt you pack. Therefore, your not wasting money. :p

I am fairly new to pipes myself- going on my second year. I relight and have no probs with the flavor provided I clean the pipe first of course. Hell, I have to relight a few times initially because of my non-developed packing skills. Over the course of a day, it is not uncommon for me to pick a loaded pipe up 2-3 times with the same tobacco in it. This may change as my taste refines. If I have longer than 15-20 minutes to smoke (assuming it is warm), I prefer a cigar over a pipe most often. If you find the relight unpleasant, maybe consider investing in some smaller bowls built for a quick smoke?

Good points.

I might have to see if I can start a trade. Cigars for pipe hardware :( Is there anything wrong with buying a $15 pipe from a tobacco shop to start with or are they like everything else cheap and will ruin the enjoyment process?

Well, I bought a 20$ pipe for my first one, and it cracked the first night from overheating. I got it replaced, but then found cigars gave me more enjoyment than a cheap pipe. Recently though I got a 75$ Savinelli and can't seem to put it down. Great construction, great pre-carboniation, and disperse the heat really well so I dont have to worry about cracking it. You can smoke a pipe for years, and some pipes...if well taken care of, become family heir looms.

A pipe is only an initial investment, you'd be alot happier spending the money first, then in 6 months being like wow...glad i didnt buy the cheapo. Just make sure you season it properly and clean it regularly.

If you need anything or have any pipe questions, feel free to pm me.

There is a whole culture built around letting a partial-smoked bowl rest, then returning to it. Called "Delayed Gratification Technique" or DGT...

Buy a cob pipe for $5. It will beat the pants off of any $15 basket pipe.

There is a whole culture built around letting a partial-smoked bowl rest, then returning to it. Called "Delayed Gratification Technique" or DGT...

Yep, if money is an issue, buy a cob. You can get as good of a smoke from a cob as you can from a $100 pipe.

DGT is one of the advantages of smoking a pipe. One must remember, though, that some tobaccos work better than others. Some of the "goopier" aromatics will taste horrible if you come back to them.

Yep, if money is an issue, buy a cob. You can get as good of a smoke from a cob as you can from a $100 pipe.

DGT is one of the advantages of smoking a pipe. One must remember, though, that some tobaccos work better than others. Some of the "goopier" aromatics will taste horrible if you come back to them.

I haven't played around w/ DGT much, but I have found I don't like to do it with anything too sweet or w/ oriental tobbacos (in my case Early Morning Pipe.) But it works splendidly w/ the Frog (Morton on the Town)!

I haven't played around w/ DGT much, but I have found I don't like to do it with anything too sweet or w/ oriental tobbacos (in my case Early Morning Pipe.) But it works splendidly w/ the Frog (Morton on the Town)!
Yes it does! I've also found Boswell's Magnum Blend to be quite good along with Nightcap.

Another aspect of pipe smoking I find very interesting.

Well, I went out a got a cob since I was not sure if I would like the pipe or not. I got some tobacco from my local B&M called 1-Q. Not a bad smoke. I figured I would have problems getting it lit, but I did the pre-light and then tamped it down again and it took off like a champ. Pretty good I guess for a $5 cob.

I will be trying more types out there before I commit to a nice pipe and risk putting a crap blend in it. Anyone tried the Just For Him brand Middle Earth blends?

And, since we all love pictures:
Small_1355.jpg

I'm a big supporter of cobs as a first pipe. Saving money is one thing. But wasting money is a whole other issue. When you first start you don't have a clue what you like (or what you will stick with!) moreover, cobs don't require the break-in which all briar's require. Often the tobacco flavor can seem really off due to the the wood imparting a flavor all its own during the break-in and cake building. You could buy a $40.00 pipe and put goop through it because you might not have known better and ruin the pipe. Or you could scorch the bowl. Or you could smoke the pipe too much, not letting it rest the one or two days between bowls. I could go on and on about noobie mistakes that turn people off to the hobby.

I always say the same thing. Take $40.00, buy 2-3 cobs and as much tobacco samples as you can with the leftover money and work on packing technique, lighting and keeping the bowl lit through rhythm. Also, get ready to try ALOT of tobacco. As most smokers will tell you, what you smell coming out of the bowl is often not at all related to what the smoke tastes like in your mouth. I have asked many pipe smokers what that heavenly smell is, only to try and blend and be revolted by the mouth taste.

Have fun!

Well, been sampling some tobacco's in my pipe and have found 'Vanilla Custard' to be rather enjoyable in both taste and room odor. I am really looking forward to trying more and finally ordering a Boswell so I can finally try some of their tobacco varieties (especially the Christmas Cookie that you guys all rave about.)

I really wish Boswell had a sampler where you could pick like 10 varieties for $10 and get like 1/3 ounce each.

JM & Gail are super nice folks dedicated to customer service plus.Keep an eye on thier website for updates for new pipes for sale.You can pick up a hand crafted Boswell starting around $50.00 shipped & they always include a sampler or two of tobacco,cleaners,stick matches & a pipe tool.Be sure to call them when you do order & ask them about a multiple sampler of tobacco.I am sure they will hook you up cuz they know you will come back to them for all of youe pipe smoking needs.
I have been very pleased with Boswells.I now own six of JM's hand crafted art works that also smoke as good as any of the pipes I have.44 at last count.Good luck & happy smoking.

Back