• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Noah's Mill 15 yo Bourbon

If I add water I'll mention it in the review. I'm not a big believer in the "few drops of water" thing. The reason being is that a 100 proof bottle is already 50% water and adding 2 or 3 drops or even a teaspoon into a glass is going to make it what......95 proof? An 80 proof bottle will have even less difference since that is 60% water to start with. I think the difference is more psychological then anything else. JMHO.

Great review, Ray. That really sounds like something I'd like. I have been trying to find a bottle of the Pappy Van Winkle 15 or even 20, with absolutely no luck. I suppose it's time to shoot for something else to try, and this one sounds like a winner.

I do have a question. If you ever add water, do you make a point to mention it in your review?

I have a set of those Riedel Bourbon glasses. I recently bought a bottle of Black Maple Hill. This one has no age listed. I have tried it in two glasses, one a High Ball, and then the Riedel. Definite differance in flavors and intensity. I sipped it neat. I am still a newbie at trying Bourbons. I haven't added water, yet, but may try it next time I have a pour.

If I add water I'll mention it in the review. I'm not a big believer in the "few drops of water" thing. The reason being is that a 100 proof bottle is already 50% water and adding 2 or 3 drops or even a teaspoon into a glass is going to make it what......95 proof? An 80 proof bottle will have even less difference since that is 60% water to start with. I think the difference is more psychological then anything else. JMHO.

Well said. I don't really do it either. Never felt like I noticed much difference.

Is Noah's mill the same as basil Hayden?

Is Noah's mill the same as basil Hayden?

No it's not

No it's not.

Sorry You said bookers was good and to pass basil Hayden up, I'm confused a little lol.

Jim Beam makes 4 bourbons as part of their small batch collection. Booker's, Baker's, Knob Creek and Basil Hayden. Basil Hayden is in reality watered down 8 year old Old Grand-Dad. Buy the 114 proof Old Grand-Dad, put one small ice cube in your glass, let it melt and then you'll know what Basil Hayden should be.

$55 is a little high and $50 would be better. I pay $45 or so.

Thanks for answering my water question, Ray. Best take on it I've ever read.

I notice the more often I drink the less I feel the need to add water but the less often I drink it's the opposite. There are times when I go 2-3 weeks without drinking and I notice the first few times I drink even 80 proof stuff seems to burn right after I swallow. I don't really enjoy the alcohol burn so I add water with a straw a little at a time until the burn goes away. Maybe I am just fooling myself but each drink in succession takes less water. I have quite a few cask strength bottles and I almost always add water to those.

I assume you and Khari don't?

I have similar reactions to strong cigars. If I haven't smoked in 2-3 weeks an Opus X is wasted on me but the more I smoke the more I enjoy stronger cigars and the less I enjoy milder stuff. I always associated both with having a bit of a burnt tongue. :laugh:

As a long time cigarette smoker, I don't really feel like I get affected by strong cigars. As for whiskies, no, I don't add water much at all. The strongest thing I own is George T. Stagg and I really enjoy it neat. Some barrel strength rye whiskies like Thomas H Handy I would drink with water. The other cask strength single malts that I've had recently that I enjoy neat are a Highland Park 23 that was bottled for Park Ave. Liquor, Aberlour A'bunadh, and Dalwhinnie 29.

One ice cube to 3 fingers of whatever is the most I do.

I bought the Noah's mill, but right after I bought it I looked at the bottle and noticed it didn't have the age on it. So I brought this up to the owner and she said it is the small batch and not the 15. So she refunded my money :(. And they changed the price tag of it lol. I was looking very much forward to trying it. I'll try again another day. Ha

I've never seen a non age statement Noah's Mill. What does it say on the neck label?

There is only one version of Noah's Mill, the 15yr. Small Batch. It will say on the diagonal label above the name "This Batch was aged in wooden barrels for fifteen years...." Also it will have a sticker on the side that has handwritten dates of when it was distilled and bottled.

Not wrong to want a drink at 7am, but it's probably wrong to have a drink at 7am.

I love Noah's Mill. It is my go to bourbon when I cannot get my hands on Whillett8 year old. Tons of flavor!