• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Noella Jar - Film and smell on lid

Corneighdo

Corneighdo
I got this jar of Noellas in Havana in April. 17/25 left, been storing them in the jar with small bovedas. Humidity is stable at 65% and today I noticed a small bit of condensation in the lid. Nothing to worry about, but then I noticed the glass had a bit of a film on it. It smells just like ammonia. I've heard of ammonia smells coming from a cigar's sick period, and tobacco generally can have this scent during production and aging. Could these sticks be going through that? The box code is MEG ABR 16. From the two I smoked last year, they were fantastic.

The sugars ferment and release ammonia gas if I remember correctly. The condensation could be from it being warmer.

I'd get them out of the jar. Then, I'd wipe the jar and lid really well with a clean cloth and distilled water. Inspect the smokes for any mold or moisture. If you find one thats got some spots, gently wipe it with the clean cloth and distilled water and let it and any other moist ones sit out for a couple days. Let the jar and lid sit open out of your humi for a couple days to dry really well. At that point you could return them to the jar and you should be good to go. Sounds like the normal aging is all that's going on but I would clean things up. JMHO.

I'd get them out of the jar. Then, I'd wipe the jar and lid really well with a clean cloth and distilled water. Inspect the smokes for any mold or moisture. If you find one thats got some spots, gently wipe it with the clean cloth and distilled water and let it and any other moist ones sit out for a couple days. Let the jar and lid sit open out of your humi for a couple days to dry really well. At that point you could return them to the jar and you should be good to go. Sounds like the normal aging is all that's going on but I would clean things up. JMHO.

Thanks for the tips Tom.

Pretty much what I was thinking but didn't want to wipe away something that could be a good thing (doesn't smell that way!)