• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

noob humidor seasoning question

kaushick

Reaction score
I just got my humidor and am in the process of seasoning it. I bought the Boveda seasoning pack but didn't realize I needed 4 packs for my 150 capacity desktop humidor. I only got 1. So I've put that inside the humidor as well as a container with distilled water. I left it in like that for a couple of days and every time I open the humidor to have a look at the hygrometer it seems to be stuck at around 60.

So my question is am I doing something wrong? I've read the seasoning guide and am confused if I should do a wipedown with cloth and distilled water. Also I read another article which said that I should take a kitchen sponge socked with distilled water put that in a container and leave that inside the humidor instead of using the shot glass method.

Sorry if this has been discussed before I tried to look but couldn't find anything. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I just got my humidor and am in the process of seasoning it. I bought the Boveda seasoning pack but didn't realize I needed 4 packs for my 150 capacity desktop humidor. I only got 1. So I've put that inside the humidor as well as a container with distilled water. I left it in like that for a couple of days and every time I open the humidor to have a look at the hygrometer it seems to be stuck at around 60.

So my question is am I doing something wrong? I've read the seasoning guide and am confused if I should do a wipedown with cloth and distilled water. Also I read another article which said that I should take a kitchen sponge socked with distilled water put that in a container and leave that inside the humidor instead of using the shot glass method.

Sorry if this has been discussed before I tried to look but couldn't find anything. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Double check the humistat.

Yes, I would wipe it down - lightly.

The first step is to make sure your hygrometer is calibrated. Search for "salt test" or "calibration" and that should help.

A new humidor can take WEEKS to season depending on your environment. I would avoid the wipe down method, but that's a decision you'll have to make on your own. I will say that I've NEVER wiped down a humi in the 6 or so I've seasoned and they've all come out just fine.

It takes time. Patience is your friend.

Good luck! :)

I used a little tuperware bowl of distilled water vs the shot glass and it worked just fine. you have to be a little patient though. Close the lid and don't open it again until Monday.

It'll get there, just be patient.

I made the same mistake with my 50 count took 7 days to reach 65-70%.. The key is to just be patient. But it is so hard...

I am about to season my new humidor, but I am calibrating my hygrometer first. The one step calibration kit I bought has a RH of 75.5, but after 24 hours my Hygrometer is only reading 70. I know it is only a cheap analog hygrometer, but is it normal to be off by 5%?

D

It takes days sometimes. Shot glass and distilled water is all you need.

!!!!Do not wipe down the inside of your humidor!!!!!

The inside is sanded smooth and wipeing it down will get the wood wet and make the grain lift up. This will make the inside rough. What do you want you cigars sitting against?

I am about to season my new humidor, but I am calibrating my hygrometer first. The one step calibration kit I bought has a RH of 75.5, but after 24 hours my Hygrometer is only reading 70. I know it is only a cheap analog hygrometer, but is it normal to be off by 5%?

D

Give it 36 hours. I used the packet as well, after 24 hours mine was 3% off. The packet states 24-36 hours so I left it in for those last 12 and sure enough it hit 75%.

D

Give it 36 hours. I used the packet as well, after 24 hours mine was 3% off. The packet states 24-36 hours so I left it in for those last 12 and sure enough it hit 75%.

Thanks I will do that.

As others have stated, firstly your hygrometer needs calibration. Also your humidor can take time to season. My first four seasoned within a day or two but my most recent one is larger, so took about a week.
By the way, I have never wiped down any of my humidors and they all work fine.
Have a great week and hope you get it working soon.

As everyone said before, give it time. I have two humidors, and I didn't wipe either of them down. You just need to let it sit for a week without touching it. Each time you open it, you're letting out humidity. So just forget it for a week and then come back and check out it.

I know it's hard, but patience is key. :)

The first step is to make sure your hygrometer is calibrated. Search for "salt test" or "calibration" and that should help.

A new humidor can take WEEKS to season depending on your environment. I would avoid the wipe down method, but that's a decision you'll have to make on your own. I will say that I've NEVER wiped down a humi in the 6 or so I've seasoned and they've all come out just fine.

It takes time. Patience is your friend.

Good luck! :)

I second the no wipe down method. It is a pretty good way to secure some unwanted visitors if your not careful.

Noob here. My instructions for my new 25 ct tells you to wipe down with a new sponge and distilled water, then leave the sponge in the humidor for 12-24 hours.

Trying to be patient here... :whistling:

You can speed it up Vader by adding a few more shot glasses with distilled water.

Noob here. My instructions for my new 25 ct tells you to wipe down with a new sponge and distilled water, then leave the sponge in the humidor for 12-24 hours.

Trying to be patient here... :whistling:

I know many places tell you to whip down the sides. If you want to do it. Getting a dry sanded wood that wet will make the grain lift. The wood soaks it up like a sponge and expands but dose not lay back down flat when it is dried.

It could take weeks depending on how well it seals and where you have it. Keep it away from sunlight and direct airflow.

KEEP IT SHUT! every time you open it to check you are letting out moisture.
I know it is hard not to play with a new toy. :D