• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Noob question

bigwhiteash

Binge Responsibly
Ok, I actually used the search feature, and after reading a bit, I wen't off to ebay and purchased a pair of cob pipes, and an inexpensive briar to go with the "Newb Pipe Pack" so generously offered by lilbastage and cuppajack.

Now I need some advice on what to put in them.

with cigars, I prefer fuller bodied smokes. Not sure if this translates into the pipe domain though.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Dennis

My first suggestion is to check out Tobacco Reviews online. There you will find a number of reviews on most of what's out there. Some of the newer stuff isn't listed, but they supposedly add stuff all the time.

Second, check out the "What's in your pipe?" thread. There you can see what several of the members here enjoy. There's a thread with a bunch of links to retailers somewhere in here where you can research the blends mentioned in that thread. It's going to take a little homework.

It sounds like you're going to like English blends, Virginas, or Burley blends. You'll have to experiment to see if you like latakia and how much. Aromatics will be a different kind of experience.

Of the blends with cigar leaf in them I've tried the following:

Pease's Robusto
Cornell & Diehl Billy Budd and Purple Cow
Hearth and Home Strike Force
McClelland's Dominican Glory Maduro

With these blends the cigar leaf is used as a compliment to the main blending leaf, especially the Dominican Glory.

Of blends without cigar leaf I really like:

Penzance
Boswell's Northwoods
Pease Maltese Falcon

There are a TON of great tobaccos out there. It's all about sampling and deciding what you like!

Good luck!

Check out the link below, it will give you an orientation to the types of pipe tobacco.

Tobacco

as a full bodied cigar smoker, i enjoy a simple burley in my pipe, but that's what i like.
only you can determine what is best in your pipe.

Pipes and cigars are COMPLETELY different... I started off with pipe tobacco that had little or no bite.

A good benchmark English is Dunhill 965.

If you like spicy cigars, look for a blend with some Perique in it. Great stuff! Has some sweet/peppery flavors in it that is hard to miss.

If you have a local shop nearby, check them out. Many will let you sample different bulk blends before you buy. Can be a good way to find out if you like a particular blend/style.

looks like i was pointed in the right direction!

Last night I tried some Pease Maltese Falcon, Rattray's Red Rapparee, and some Dunhill Nightcap.

tonight, it's Rattrays 3 noggins, and Hal O' the Wynd :thumbs:

I'm really enjoying myself!

Wow.. Your lucky to get to try all that tobacco in a short time.. I hafta wait as time and & money permits.. Being a cigar smoker and new to the pipe, Boswells Mild English is my favorite so far. Ive been wanting to try Penzance and HOTW.. I have alot of aromatics that I will probably never smoke after trying the English stuff..

Cool signature.. Ive been a big fan since Rage for Order back in '86

I just got my new Nording and Savinelli pipes, and I have a noob question...

When breaking them in, I have read to start smoking with 1/2 bowl, does this mean only pack a half bowl, and smoke it all, or pack a full bowl, and smoke it only half way??

Also got some Frog Morton on the Town, C&D Purple Cow, and Macbaren Plumcake :laugh:

Usually I think most people pack 1/2 bowl, but I've never actually done it that way. I usually just pack a full bowl of a rather neutral tobacco (like Butternut Burley) and smoke it very gently. I do this for the first few bowls with a paper towel reaming after each smoke. I've never had any problems doing it this way, but some say it's not the best way to do it. You have to keep in mind I'm not a heavy duty smoker. I only smoke a few bowls/cigars a week. It takes me quite awhile to break in a new pipe.

As with many things pipe smoking related you'll find different folks doing things different ways. You just have to figure out which way works for you and go with it for awhile. There's a lot of trial and error involved. All of the advice and all that is great to build from, but in the end it's up to you to find YOUR method.

the key to breaking in your pipe is to build cake in the heel and the only way to do this is to smoke
your pipe all the way to the bottom. you can load a full bowl, just make sure you smoke it to the
bottom.

for most new smokers, it's easier for them to get to the bottom with just a half bowl. if you do
choose to only smoke a half bowl, do this before you dump your ash: place you thumb over the
bowl and shake, this will help distribute fine ash on the sides of the bowl and will aid in forming
the cake on the walls.