• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Noob Questions

ZiZiJohn

Hello Pipe Room denizens--

I recently purchased my first pipe, quickly followed by a second and third (though the latter are inexpensive cobs, I love them both.) I've been enjoying the process of tasting different blends from the local shop and refining my pipe-smoking skills.

My question concerns the process of ashing a pipe. Based on the how-tos I've read here and on other sites, it's something that needs to be done, but I can't figure out how to do so in a way that doesn't involve A: losing my lit tobacco, B: losing ALL of my tobacco or C: accidentally putting out the pipe. I understand that my pipe tool is supposed to help in this process, but I can't figure out precisely how, as whenever I try to loosen the burnt ash, my pipe is immediately extinguished.

Another thing I've noticed is the tendency of my lit tobacco to burn down through the middle, leaving the tobacco closest to the bowl unburnt. Is this normal? Is there a way to light or smoke that would stop this?

It all makes me crave the relative simplicity of a cigar...

Thanks for any tips!

John

I just turn the pipe over and let the ash fall out into the ash tray. I've never lost the cherry or had my pipe go out from dumping the ash. I don't usually dump the ash more than once or twice during a bowl.

The best way to make sure the tobacco burns to the edge is to make sure that the tobacco is lit evenly. Also, sometimes if you're drawing to intensely the middle can burn more quickly than the outer edges. It can also be a function of the pipes construction.

Once lit, try to tamp very lightly while kind of pushing the lit tobacco around the bowl a bit. Be gentle.