• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Not once

slowhand

Not once have I ever thought about smoking a pipe until yesterday reading this new forum. I am on ebay right now looking at 'estate pipes'. When I get yelled at for buying pipes, I am going to blame you guys ;)

Have you found one you like yet slowhand?

If so. . which one is it?

And speaking from experience, I can tell you that blaming your purchases on the guys around here will NOT fly with your Wife or S/O. Trust me, my wife would NEVER let me blame anything on this bunch. In fact, that might even get me in MORE TROUBLE. . . . :0

HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

STEVE

Have I found one I like? I like the bent ones.

I'm pretty sophisticated, huh?

I do think that after looking at the 'estate' pipes, I probably will just buy a new one. Shadow posted this link and I really like the looks of some of these. But, it looks like it could be a while.

Any suggestions?

I am partial to the bent ones too, but I have alot of straights as well.

The only suggestion I would make is remember that the pipe you choose will be with you for a while. This is an investment. And you can get a GREAT PIPE for less than the cost of a box of cigars.

Just find one you like and jump in. Furthermore, don't let someone else tell you what to buy. BUY WHAT YOU LIKE! As long as you get a well made pipe, I don't care if it has flowers painted on it. . . if you like it, then smoke it and don't worry about what anyone else says.

Go by a local Pipe Shop and see if they have any estate pipes. You may walk out with a pipe that only cost you $40, but cost the original buyer over $100.

Enjoy and. . . .

HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

STEVE

This is one that I like :)

fd_1_sbl.JPG

That is a fine looking pipe.

Do you know who made it?

One problem with a bent pipe is that they tend to "gurgle" alot.

The moisture produce from the tobacco and from you will often flow downward toward the bowl and then gurgle as you puff on the pipe.

But I DO love a bent pipe.

HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

STEVE

Savinelli makes a very good pipe. In fact, the first "good" pipe I ever got was a Savinelli. It was the first estate pipe I purchased and it showed me that a good pipe does make a BIG difference.

The grain on this pipe looks good too.

I hope you can work it out to get it.

HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

STEVE

Fast4Dr said:
This is one that I like :)

fd_1_sbl.JPG

[snapback]155347[/snapback]​

I just bought my first pipe, like this one around Thanksgiving. I like the bent style 'cause I enjoy smoking it while working on the computer. I bought a no name pipe for $15 and enjoy it a lot.

Excuse my ignorance, but I've just spent an hour or so browsing this site and have found several references to something called "estate" pipes. What on earth are these? Do we have them in Britain? You couldn't possibly be referring to what we call dead man's pipes, could you?

gutterpipe said:
Excuse my ignorance, but I've just spent an hour or so browsing this site and have found several references to something called "estate" pipes. What on earth are these? Do we have them in Britain? You couldn't possibly be referring to what we call dead man's pipes, could you?
[snapback]185310[/snapback]​

It is a nicer way of saying "used." It is usually easy to find good pipes at a decent price that only need to be cleaned and can go back into service. Shadow had the stem replaced on mine (it was my grandfather's) because of the wear.

Yes, it's probably the same as the Dead Man's pipes... online references seem synonymous.

-K-

Thank you for your rapid and helpful response, Treamayne. I suppose we have different expressions this side of the pond. Quite a few things you people mention mean nothing to me, a pipe-smoker of thirty years, with six second-hand pipes having been in my largeish collection. I'd like to cultivate this interesting site, and hope my ignorance of your terms won't be a handicap. I've got some interesting terms too!

gutterpipe said:
and hope my ignorance of your terms won't be a handicap. I've got some interesting terms too!
[snapback]185560[/snapback]​

Glad to have ya....so I guess you mean:

If you show us yours we'll show you ours! <grin>

Thanks for the link to Frenchy's, ordered an estate pipe already. That with the new Peterson P lip I bought last week will give me something new to smoke for a bit.
Anyone that hasn't tried the p lip is missing out. The hole is on the top of the mouth piece directing the smoke toward the roof of the mouth instead of the tongue. For me it results in less bite and a cooler smoke. :thumbs:

Ditto on the thanks for the link to Frenchy's!! I'm definitely gonna be doing some shopping there!
And I agree on the Peterson p-lip and the system pipes as well. Great smoking and dry as a bone. I love 'em!! :love:

I don't understand this thing about the p-lip being new. I have a carved meerschaum Peterson I got in 1979 with the mouthpiece as described above (a beautiful smoke; the Rolls-Royce of pipes in my opinion). In Britain at least, if you see a Peterson with an ordinary bit that's always meant it was a reject. I've got one of those too, a brier, and it's another of my all-time favourite smokes. It has the tiniest flaw on the outside of the bowl, that's all, so I got it cheap. OK, so I'm driving a Ferrari with a small dent in the wing, but it's still a Ferrari!

Being fairly new, (10 years) to pipes the p lip was new to me. I bought most of my pipes on Ebay and never a Peterson. I was in my "local" shop last week and saw the Peterson there. Liked it and brought it home. Wasn't a easy choice, $75.00 for a new pipe compared to $35-$50 for the estate ones I've been buying.

On a side note, you can find some very good buys on Ebay. I bought a Wiley for $47.00, took it to the local shop and had them give it a look and cleaning. They gave it a estimate of $350 - $400 new.

ps had to edit for the "local" reference made. My closest shop is 57 miles, don't really think that is local.