• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

NuB Habano (a review)

Len___T

I won one of each of the NuB line in a contest..They have been in the humi for a week to 10 days before I was able to dedicate myself to the hour plus burn time I have seen others mention when it came to this line of cigars...Plus I really wanted to be able to concentrate and pay attention to the cigar...

Appearance - Lovely lol...nice dark brown...very little vein action going on imo...Very hefty...I can see where he (Sam L.) would say there is as much tobacco in a NuB as a churchhill cigar...No soft spots...Very well made cigar...Overall a cigar that is pleasing to the eye....

Construction - See above lol...very well made in my opinion...

Draw - Excellent...I used a punch as I dont have a cutter big enuff for this RG...pathetic but true lol...I was quite surprised the draw was so good for a cigar of this size....

Burn - Impressive...Once again regarding its size I was impressed...Took me a minute or so to get her going but once I did the burn was spot on...I did not have to correct it at all...

Ash - Excellent...Stayed on the cigar till I put it down...I even got it to stand about halfway through lol...Would have tried to stand it closer to the end but by that time the ash had a little "curve" in the shape....thereby throwing it a lil off balance when I tried to stand it...Did not think the wife would have appreciated a bunch of ashes scattered on her coffee table lol...

Flavor - Very nice...to me I tasted some chocolate and leather...maybe some woody flavors as well...As my pallete isnt the most developed I cant give a CA review lol...Overall for me it's flavor was outstanding...

Strength - Mild to medium for myself...Not too strong yet not mild in the way I consider say a Cusano 18 Double Conn. mild...Hope that makes sense all lol...

Problems - None that I could discern...but then again I am not an "elite" cigar smoker lol...

Overall - I loved the smoke...I didnt bust a vein trying to draw on the cigar...The flavor of the cigar was outstanding...The burn was great...The amount of smoke was very good...Even the wife enjoyed it when she took a "hit" lol...Stayed cool pretty much to the end...(3/4 of an inch for me) Then it started getting hot...And instead of possibly ruining the experience I laid her down in the ashtray to die an honorable death...Will be getting more of these once they become available...This cigar lasted me 1 hour and 17 minutes before I laid it down...

Len

Thanks for the review. I may give these a try one day but for right now I am staying away because the physical dimensions exceed what I believe would be a comfortable smoking experience.

What are these, like 4 x 60 or something ridiculous like that?

I'm glad that you enjoyed it but the dimensions are too off-putting for me to do anything more than possibly try one. I cannot imaging enjoying smoking something roughly the dimensions of a RedBull can.

Wilkey

Very nice review.

I'm struggling to keep an open mind about these. Firstly, I'm not a fan of really thick cigars. Secondly, it seems to me that in 500+ years of human tobacco consumption, if fat and short were the ideal setup, that fat and short would have been what cigars evolved into.

That said, I'll probably give them a try a some point.

The whole start at the sweet spot concept is a bit confusing... The cigars are made only something like 3" or 4" long to start at the legnth where most cigar really hit their peaks.

So, if I chop three inches off a Churchill, will I start at the sweet spot? Probably not; all I've made is a petit robusto, with a new sweet spot around the new halfpoint of the smoke. Is it perhaps all of the smoke passing through the cigar and the complex chemical and physical changes occuring within the smoke that produces the 'best' part of the cigar around the middle? If not, then I suppose a Short Story of HdM PR would also concentrate the best part of the cigar into the first two or three inches.

I don't doubt that these may be very good smokes, but the marketing concept really has me puzzled...

The whole start at the sweet spot concept is a bit confusing... The cigars are made only something like 3" or 4" long to start at the legnth where most cigar really hit their peaks.

So, if I chop three inches off a Churchill, will I start at the sweet spot? Probably not, all I've made is a petit robusto, with a new sweet spot around the new halfpoint of the smoke. Is it perhaps all of the smoke passing through the cigar and the complex chemical and physical changes occuring within the smoke that produces the 'best' part of the cigar around the middle? If not, then I suppose a Short Story of HdM PR would also concentrate the best part of the cigar into the first two or three inches

I don't doubt that these may be very good smokes, but the marketing concept really has me puzzled...
Precisely the basis for my skepticism. You can't shortcut that which necessarily must occur to build development during smoking. In my estimation, it's all marketing flim-flam. 4 x 60 and 4 x 66? You've got to be kidding me. As far as what they talk about in their "theory" page, it's all speculation and conjecture. I cannot possibly imagine how this could result in anything other than a fat, dilute cigar.

Wilkey

I love that, dimensions of a Red Bull can! Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to trying a few of these.

You know, it's the process of getting to the nub that is the fun thing about smoking. The nub is what I throw into the compost bin. If I only had time for a short smoke and yet I wanted flavor, there are plenty of small, comfortable cigars one could turn to. It almost seems like this is a gag.

Understanding that not everyone is in love with large ring gauges, you have to first grasp the theory of “nub” because in the world of “nubs” a 60 is not a large ring gauge.
Ok. I guess that makes their 60 really like a 44 rg and so it's ok then? ???

Wilkey

So, if I chop three inches off a Churchill, will I start at the sweet spot? Probably not, all I've made is a petit robusto, with a new sweet spot around the new halfpoint of the smoke. Is it perhaps all of the smoke passing through the cigar and the complex chemical and physical changes occuring within the smoke that produces the 'best' part of the cigar around the middle? If not, then I suppose a Short Story of HdM PR would also concentrate the best part of the cigar into the first two or three inches

Precisely the basis for my skepticism. You can't shortcut that which necessarily must occur to build development during smoking. In my estimation, it's all marketing flim-flam. 4 x 60 and 4 x 66? You've got to be kidding me. As far as what they talk about in their "theory" page, it's all speculation and conjecture. I cannot possibly imagine how this could result in anything other than a fat, dilute cigar.

Wilkey
I'm glad you guys were so capable of saying what I've been thinking since I first saw these and read the reasoning behind the size.

To each his own, but I won't be sticking one of these things in my pie hole.

I agree with all that's been said. The technical issues mentioned above coupled with the fact that a sticking a stump in my mouth has no appeal have completely turned me off of this cigar. Next.

in the world of “nubs” a 60 is not a large ring gauge.

What the Hell is "the world of nubs?" It sounds like some dystopia full of week old cigar butts.

It almost makes me wonder if they came up with the name first and then the design second. In any event, thanks again to the op for a nice review.

Well, I can say I'm looking forward to these cigars. I prefer large RG cigars anyway, so I'm interested to see how these feel/smoke. I've only heard good things about the pre-release sticks, and with them being $6.50 and under, I'm willing to give quite a few of these a go.

I can't wait to get my hands on some of these, from what I have seen they look of the highest quality construction wise. They look almost good enough to eat. Good review by the way, tx.

Yeah, great review. I wouldn't mind trying one, I normally go for smaller ring guages but these look interesting.

I too normally smoke smaller RG's...'specially since I discovered the joy of the lancero...lots of flavor in those sticks lol...Anywho...I am excited about these cigars...They look wonderful...the habano smoked great...and imho they are a great change of pace from my normal sizes I usually smoke...And as a bonus...it is an outstanding cigar...once again just my opinion...len